Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 10:48:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 8984 times)
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2020, 02:49:26 AM »

Expect a more aggressive attack under Buck and with Zach at the controls. Lapo's offence was designed around what Game Manager could do.

Wrong. I know you enjoy crapping on Nichols as much as possible, but LaPolice's offense for the last few seasons was designed around what the best tailback in the game could do.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid.
dd

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2020, 03:14:24 AM »

you can add on rough guesses on cap space. Congrats! Love to see your work...
Let me break it down for you Goldie, we just shelled out big coin for Collaros and Willy, on top of that we have Biggie on a LJ above average contract for a MLB, add to that Medlock s above average contract for a kicker and the recently committed $200k for Adams, we have no more money to throw at receivers. If we wanted to get Walker here for around $200 k, Walters would have offered that to walker, which he likely did and was turned down, so he then locked Adams in as our #1 guy and we ve moved on. With all the salary committed to our big name players, no way do we have room on our roster for 2 -$200 recievers, and if we did, then we re dropping a big salary somewhere and going cheaper at MLB or kicker? do you see that happening, I don?t. And KW has squirrelled away some cash to sign sayles and rose when they return for the nfl and if they don?t return he?s going to spend on the secondary and an experienced backup QBs, not recievers. You follow that???
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:29:38 AM by dd » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2020, 03:59:24 AM »

Let me break it down for you Goldie, we just shelled out big coin for Collaros and Willy, on top of that we have Biggie on a LJ above average contract for a MLB, add to that Medlock s above average contract for a kicker and the recently committed $200k for Adams, we have no more money to throw at receivers. If we wanted to get Walker here for around $200 k, Walters would have offered that to walker, which he likely did and was turned down, so he then locked Adams in as our #1 guy and we ve moved on. With all the salary committed to our big name players, no way do we have room on our roster for 2 -$200 recievers, and if we did, then we re dropping a big salary somewhere and going cheaper at MLB or kicker? do you see that happening, I don?t. And KW has squirrelled away some cash to sign sayles and rose when they return for the nfl and if they don?t return he?s going to spend on the secondary and an experienced backup QBs, not recievers. You follow that???
I here you man and I knew all that already but none of us know the hard actual numbers. There is a a lot of speculation in that post. I?d be surprised if we locked down Walker but it is fun to think about.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
theaardvark

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2020, 04:08:33 AM »

Walker could sign for a lot less and take home the same pay, IF we give him a large signing bonus.  You'd have to be sure he's going to play 18+ games and do so effectively, because bonus money is SMS committed 100%.  Salary means nothing if the player is 6 games or cut.  But bonuses are spent regardless either of those issues.

If Walters wants him and is willing to put money up front, we can sign him. 

Will he be a star here?  His year in Toronto doesn't make that answer a confident "Yes".  Is he worth the risk?  I think so,,,

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2020, 04:26:53 AM »

I'm sure others can break it down better than I can, but you seem to have a very simplistic view of roster building.

1. Teams don't break it down by player, they break it down by position. So, while you may think  Collaros is over paid, I'm pretty sure we're paying below average for our QB room. Same with our LBs, same with our DL.

2. Adams is reportedly getting 140k. All other import receivers are on their entry-level deals. If we have a positional group to add money to, it's definitely the receiving core.

3. Every team has a handful of 200k+ guys now. We can't keep viewing these guys through the same lens. Willie's contract has recieved a lot of attention, but it doesn't mean we're suddenly at the cap limit because we paid him 260 instead of 240...

My wife is amazing!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2020, 07:03:11 AM »

I think that we need to look at another backup QB.  The CFL is a two QB league.  Would have been great if Nichols could stick around to be a backup, but obviously he still thinks he can play at a high level. 
Nic16

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »

I think that we need to look at another backup QB.  The CFL is a two QB league.  Would have been great if Nichols could stick around to be a backup, but obviously he still thinks he can play at a high level. 

So does Toronto, who will be paying if he does.
theaardvark

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »

We are looking at QB's...  just maybe not recycled CFL "vets"... our scouts will bring in arms for TC to compete... I'd far rather have "the next one" than settle for "the almost one"...  plus they will be PR rostereable and SMS friendly...  may not be the next Streveler, but could be... and will probably be as good as any "available" backup

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »

Our QBs, receivers, and DBs are among the cheapest in the league. Our DL, Lbers, are probably just above. We have a lot of players on their rookie contracts. We have as much cap room as any other team. Walters does a good job of mixing big contracts and rookie deals.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »

Our QBs, receivers, and DBs are among the cheapest in the league. Our DL, Lbers, are probably just above. We have a lot of players on their rookie contracts. We have as much cap room as any other team. Walters does a good job of mixing big contracts and rookie deals.
^this

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »

Unless the reports from Dunk are completely false (they usually aren't) the Bombers wouldn't be talking to Walker if they flat out couldn't afford him. 

Maybe they won't be able to agree on a price and structure - that happens all the time but if the cupboards were completely bare they wouldn't talk.
the paw

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2020, 08:17:22 PM »

Unless the reports from Dunk are completely false (they usually aren't) the Bombers wouldn't be talking to Walker if they flat out couldn't afford him. 

Maybe they won't be able to agree on a price and structure - that happens all the time but if the cupboards were completely bare they wouldn't talk.

Either that, or if they can get him down to an acceptable number they are prepared to let another veteran go.

Walters has already stated we have commitments basically to the cap.  Keeping Jefferson cost us Nevis and Roh.  Probably worth it, but the connection is clear.

If Walters could get Walker at $200k on the strength of other intangibles, then someone else has to go.  There really isn't any fat among the receivers, and Harris is untouchable.  Maybe if you cut Whitehead and Neufeld loose you could swing it.

grab grass 'n growl
DM83

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2020, 08:27:02 PM »

Or Biggie.......had a bad year last yr.. Based on last year, he could be replaceable.
Of course cutting out part of your heart would be idiotic.  But it's pro sports.  What do we need more?
An average MLB. Or a superior receiver?
blue girl

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »

Or Biggie.......had a bad year last yr.. Based on last year, he could be replaceable.
Of course cutting out part of your heart would be idiotic.  But it's pro sports.  What do we need more?
An average MLB. Or a superior receiver?
IMO we need a MLB more. If we cut Bighill he will be snapped up by a team right away and who do we get as a MLB?
kkc60

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »

Either that, or if they can get him down to an acceptable number they are prepared to let another veteran go.

Walters has already stated we have commitments basically to the cap.  Keeping Jefferson cost us Nevis and Roh.  Probably worth it, but the connection is clear.

If Walters could get Walker at $200k on the strength of other intangibles, then someone else has to go.  There really isn't any fat among the receivers, and Harris is untouchable.  Maybe if you cut Whitehead and Neufeld loose you could swing it.
I really don't think keeping Jefferson is what cost us Nevis as much as it was keeping Alexander at safety.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: