Blue Bombers Forum
February 19, 2020, 06:49:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Back up Qb's  (Read 4780 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »

Pipkin off the board.

With only a couple of more words you could have made this a useful post.  Where did Pipkin sign?

Edm

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »

Edm

Thank you.
TBURGESS

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2020, 03:48:42 PM »

https://www.esks.com/2020/02/13/eskimos-sign-antonio-pipkin/

The Edmonton Eskimos have signed free agent American quarterback Antonio Pipkin through the 2020 season.

The Gary, Indiana native entered the league in 2017 with the Montreal Alouettes where he spent three seasons. In 27 career games, he completed 99-of-182 pass attempts for 1,295 yards with four touchdowns. Pipkin also rushed for 318 yards and nine touchdowns on 58 carries.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2020, 04:50:55 PM »

It truly looks like it's going to be McGuire + a rookie or maybe a late T.C. cut like Bennett backing up Collaros this year.  If they wanted to sign Franklin, Pipkin or Jennings they had ample time and reason to do so, but decided not to.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:59:33 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2020, 11:16:02 PM »

Is Jennings still out there? 
Jennings was actually decent.m lousy team around him, but he was manageable
Bennet shaking loose from Sask would be good.  A poor mans Strevelor?

I think McGuire is already our new poor man's Strev.  I don't think you need McGuire + Bennett -- too similar.

I think Jennings sits on the couch waiting for the first or second injury of the year...

It truly looks like it's going to be McGuire + a rookie or maybe a late T.C. cut like Bennett backing up Collaros this year.  If they wanted to sign Franklin, Pipkin or Jennings they had ample time and reason to do so, but decided not to.

As shocking to me that it is, I think you're right.  (Haha, not shocking that you're right, but shocking that KW is gambling so recklessly!)  We are laying it all on Collaros, and if he goes down we need McGuire to win us .50 until we sign Mr. Desperation (like Jennings or whoever).  Or maybe by that time Nichols will have stunk it up in TOR with no OL and we can trade him back into blue & gold.  Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Shocked

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
kkc60

« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2020, 12:02:00 AM »

I think McGuire is already our new poor man's Strev.  I don't think you need McGuire + Bennett -- too similar.

I think Jennings sits on the couch waiting for the first or second injury of the year...

As shocking to me that it is, I think you're right.  (Haha, not shocking that you're right, but shocking that KW is gambling so recklessly!)  We are laying it all on Collaros, and if he goes down we need McGuire to win us .50 until we sign Mr. Desperation (like Jennings or whoever).  Or maybe by that time Nichols will have stunk it up in TOR with no OL and we can trade him back into blue & gold.  Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Shocked

Why is McGuire suddenly a running QB? His college career says the exact opposite
TecnoGenius

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2020, 12:05:17 AM »

Why is McGuire suddenly a running QB? His college career says the exact opposite

I meant in terms of a short-yardage guy who can stay on and RPO the next down.  Like Strev used to do before we used him as a tank.  What you lose in tank-run you gain in passing ability.

I'd bet we play McGuire in SY much like we did Strev when he first started here behind Nichols.

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
dd

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2020, 12:35:20 AM »

Not sure why we didn?t go after pipkin, apparently he?s good enough for Huffer and the Stamps.

Enough talk about franklin already, he absolutely stunk last year and jennings?? Even worse. Both those guys played themselves out of this league
BlueInCgy

« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2020, 12:58:39 AM »

Not sure why we didn?t go after pipkin, apparently he?s good enough for Huffer and the Stamps.

Enough talk about franklin already, he absolutely stunk last year and jennings?? Even worse. Both those guys played themselves out of this league

Pipkin went to the Esks.  Prukop signed with the Stamps.  Point is still valid though.
kkc60

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2020, 01:53:42 AM »

Feels unnecessary to not bring in a guy like Pipkin. Like there is nothing to lose
DM83

« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2020, 01:59:31 AM »

Really  what's our back  ups name? And  how many passes did he throw in the league last year?
I think the rational,reaction is...."Are you kidding me"

Reality, Collaros is one slap to the head away from "concussion protocol"
How's that for a slap on the face and reality.

Think of this...Darwin Adams now becomes the next one up".  He. Has far better stats than  what's our backups name?

Now...that's reality, baby.  It's to cold for the the blue cool aide?, and far too soon.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:58:51 PM by DM83 » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2020, 05:02:42 AM »

I meant in terms of a short-yardage guy who can stay on and RPO the next down.  Like Strev used to do before we used him as a tank.  What you lose in tank-run you gain in passing ability.

I'd bet we play McGuire in SY much like we did Strev when he first started here behind Nichols.

If McGuire can't do what Strev. did, and we pretty much know it's highly unlikely that he can, there's not a whole lot of reason to leave him in after the short-yardage play for the next series unless it's to provide him more game experience. At critical times and field position it would make little sense to switch out Collaros to let McGuire have a go.

In Strev's case he offered a drastic change-up from what Nichols or Collaros could do but also maintained good ball security by keeping it on the ground which is why O'Shea gave him rope, everybody in the park knew he was going to run and yet he still usually gained 5-7 yds. per carry.  If McGuire can only run a stunted version of the offence there is little advantage to be gained and likely momentum to be lost in a switch-out.  I'm guessing the Bombers will be back on par with all other teams in terms of how they use their short-yardage QB's this coming season.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:33:11 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Doublezero

« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2020, 02:40:36 AM »

Taylor Heinicke? Apparently he's on Bombers neg list. Wonder how much he's making in the XFL? Such a nice touch on the ball. Runs too:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001003379/Taylor-Heinicke-s-best-plays-from-first-career-start-Week-16

And chugs beer in true Strev tradition https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/video-of-collins-hill-grad-taylor-heinicke-fellow-qb-chugging/article_a86153dc-4bbb-11ea-94df-07ae281c39ce.html

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:43:28 AM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2020, 03:07:24 AM »

Or some XFL refugee signed prior to camp or if nobody grabs the #3 spot in training camp already on the roster.
Pigskin

« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2020, 03:27:17 AM »

Looks like it could be Brandon Bridge.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: