Blue Bombers Forum
July 13, 2020, 08:17:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Back up Qb's  (Read 13342 times)
bwiser

« on: February 03, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »

It looks like Streveler is leaving to pursue an NFL position. I think the Bombers should pursue a backup with CFL experience. McGwire seems like a good prospect but I would feel better if they had someone else on the roster just in case of injury.Here is a list of some Qb's that should be available next week

Matt Nichols
Danny O'Brien
Brandon Bridge
Montell Cozart
Dakota Prukop
James Franklin
McLeod Bethel-Thompson
Jonathon Jennings
Antonio Pipkin
My first choice would be Nichols but I don't think we could fit him under the salary cap. O'Brien looks like an interesting prospect with some upside.James Franklin would probably be next with a good O line in front of him maybe he could find his game again.Jonathon Jennings can run the ball so maybe he could take Strevelers role.Bethel-Thompson would be the only other QB I would be interested in only because he has started a lot of games although not very successfully.Maybe a better O line in front of him would benefit him as well.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:29:21 PM by bwiser » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

Pipkin or MBT for me...
bwiser

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »

I forgot that Pipken was released. I will include him as well.
booch

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 01:57:14 PM »

Majority of his resume was built withn the Mike Sherman 3 ring Circus..I would take a chance on Pipken as well as the #3 guy....out of that list he's the only one I think has upside, and fits within the SMS...Sometimes change does wonders for a guy
Ridermania

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »

David Waterford - David Watford resigned with Hamilton.
Danny O'Brien - Retired
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 02:21:53 PM »

With only 2 rostered QB's, emergency pickups of unsigned QB's with CFL experience should be easier than in the past... getting one of these QBs to take a PR/IR spot for insurance is not going to be easy...

I'm good with McGuire plus a couple of prospect arms in camp...  and if Streveler shakes loose, we have space for him...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »

Franklin then Pipken for me.

No Aards... we shouldn't be keeping money back in case Streveler doesn't make it in the NFL. If he shakes free, we cut whoever our #2 is and give Streveler that money.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 03:18:31 PM »

Truthfully, there aren't a lot of good options on that list. Matt Nichols is obviously the best of the bunch but I'm not sure how that locker rooms works with Nichols sitting in the corner running scout team. I think he and the team probably both need fresh starts. Bethel-Thompson maybe? If Toronto goes all in on Nichols which I doubt they will now that there's no competition around for him. McGuire has about as much chance of success as the rest of the guys on that list.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:21:12 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »

If MBT is willing to be a # 2 for back up money, he'll probably stay in Toronto.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »

Franklin has all of the tools, I still think he will materialize eventually, if the Stamps picked him up and ran him through their QB school he would stand a decent chance of realizing his potential.  Not sure Wpg. could help him achieve that. 

I'd be all over MBT if I thought there was a chance of signing him, he could step in behind any starter in the league and be a solid backup and continue to win games.  He can run, throw and is tough as nails, not sure you can wish for more from a backup.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:31:25 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Waffler

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »

1. Nichols  (if he can accept a contract loaded with incentives which he won't)
2. MBT
3. Pipkin

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »

Franklin then Pipken for me.

No Aards... we shouldn't be keeping money back in case Streveler doesn't make it in the NFL. If he shakes free, we cut whoever our #2 is and give Streveler that money.

You miss my point, again.  We don't "keep money back", we save from paying money to a QB that has proven they are not starter material...  if you sign any of the QB's suggested, it will not be for league min, PR, or the like.  It will be for a decent wage, because they "have experience".  I just don't think we need to invest in that when we have McGuire in the backup role, and will have new ELC/PR paid arms in camp.

Maybe I'm just snakebit over the last "veteran backup" we signed as a FA...

Franklin has all of the tools, I still think he will materialize eventually, if the Stamps picked him up and ran him through their QB school he would stand a decent chance of realizing his potential.  Not sure Wpg. could help him achieve that.

Franklin won't come cheap, or without a signing bonus...  rather than lock in at a cheap rate, he'd be smart to wait for injury opportunity...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 03:37:54 PM »

You miss my point, again.  We don't "keep money back", we save from paying money to a QB that has proven they are not starter material...  if you sign any of the QB's suggested, it will not be for league min, PR, or the like.  It will be for a decent wage, because they "have experience".  I just don't think we need to invest in that when we have McGuire in the backup role, and will have new ELC/PR paid arms in camp.

Maybe I'm just snakebit over the last "veteran backup" we signed as a FA...

Franklin won't come cheap, or without a signing bonus...  rather than lock in at a cheap rate, he'd be smart to wait for injury opportunity...

It would be wise to buy some of that experience this year. We've got Collaros starting and McGuire behind him who could be serviceable or flame out in eight quarters.
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »

It would be wise to buy some of that experience this year. We've got Collaros starting and McGuire behind him who could be serviceable or flame out in eight quarters.

Until McGuire proves one way or the other, we don't need "experience".  It is luxury, insurance.  And the crop available is certainly not solid insurance, almost as much of a crapshoot as a talented rookie being brought in.  Rather than bringing in a QB that couldn't keep a job on another team, I'd rather invest less money on a potential next Evans/Arbuckle... and our scouting is better than it has ever been, I'm ready to trust them to bring in a stream of quality prospects, even at QB, something only a few years ago would have been impossible to say.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »

Until McGuire proves one way or the other, we don't need "experience".  It is luxury, insurance.  And the crop available is certainly not solid insurance, almost as much of a crapshoot as a talented rookie being brought in.  Rather than bringing in a QB that couldn't keep a job on another team, I'd rather invest less money on a potential next Evans/Arbuckle... and our scouting is better than it has ever been, I'm ready to trust them to bring in a stream of quality prospects, even at QB, something only a few years ago would have been impossible to say.

Signing Collaros pretty much cemented our need for an experienced backup. This is extreme common sense. Scouts (even great ones) don't find you year one starting QBs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: