Blue Bombers Forum
October 28, 2020, 07:11:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 CFL Draft  (Read 3123 times)
Pigskin

« on: January 30, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »

Currently we have picks 18, 37, 39, 46, 55, 73. Mr. Walter's is going to have his work cut out for him this year. I am hoping that a player like DeQuoy will be around at 18.
blue_or_die

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 07:02:13 PM »

Probably for the best we don't have to pay a first round pick. It will save SMS.

I hope Walters can find some great value players with the picks we do have. I am unfamiliar with the quality of the draft this year, but if Walters can find a couple of ST demons who can maybe backup right away, as well as a project or two who shows promise to be a starter one day, that would be a huge success. Based on Walters' track record, there's no reason to think that can't happen.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »

Which positions are a priority? Anyone want to make a ranking? Or do we just draft best guy?

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
kkc60

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »

Which positions are a priority? Anyone want to make a ranking? Or do we just draft best guy?
Hypothetically if we don't re-up our pending UFAs and don't sign any I'd list it as:
Safety
Linebacker
Receiver
Defensive End
booch

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »

Basically if we don't move up in draft somehow then we just pick best player available...if one of those 2 ends are still there which I doubt we gotta grab one, if not then best of whats there...hopefully there are still some DB options
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 02:23:52 PM »

We just released Janke. I'm not expecting Hecht to be back. D. Jones is 50/50?

So we may be looking at DB as a priority but we still probably have to take the best player available.

Watching what Canadians we acquire in free agency is always interesting.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »

We just released Janke. I'm not expecting Hecht to be back. D. Jones is 50/50?

So we may be looking at DB as a priority but we still probably have to take the best player available.

Watching what Canadians we acquire in free agency is always interesting.
We don't tend to sign Canadian FAs, at least as backups or STers so I agree. It will be interesting
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 02:42:02 PM »

thanks for the input everyone, will be an interesting draft and spring

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »

We don't tend to sign Canadian FAs, at least as backups or STers so I agree. It will be interesting

LOL. How do you think we got Janke. Blue collar players like Miles, Miller and Rempel were gold strike additions in FA.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »

LOL. How do you think we got Janke. Blue collar players like Miles, Miller and Rempel were gold strike additions in FA.
I mean if you wanna count long snapper go ahead. And Janke played like a game for us. Miller and Miles. And Hecht. Besides that? Gauthier, Briggs, D.Jones, Hallett, Rush, Augustine, Exum? were all brought in as rookies.

Starters is a different story but I don't really see us signing too many canadian "foot soldiers" in FA, at least not til after the draft. Last year in FA (BEFORE the draft) we signed *checks notes* Dexter Janke. That is it, that is all

kkc60

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 04:37:10 PM »

Demski and Speller were picked up as free agents in the last couple of years.
Janke was injured. Augustine was with 2 other teams prior to the Bombers. Speller was an undrafted free agent. Today's foot soldier might become next years starter.
My point was Speller and Augustine had their rookie years here. They didn't come here as veterans. They were essentially draft picks minus the usage of a draft pick to get them. You obviously didn't read what I said. I don't believe we will sign too many canadians (at least established ones) before the draft. Your arguments of Speller and Augustine were both signed post-draft
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:44:40 PM by kkc60 » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »

My point was Speller and Augustine had their rookie years here. They didn't come here as veterans. They were essentially draft picks minus the usage of a draft pick to get them. You obviously didn't read what I said. I don't believe we will sign too many canadians (at least established ones) before the draft. Your arguments of Speller and Augustine were both signed post-draft

Augustine spent part of 2017 TC in Edmonton then Regina. He didn't come to Winnipeg until 2018 so not exactly his rookie year. Not a veteran either.

We signed Lalama who lasted 7 games before being released and playing 11 games in Montreal. He was starting after injuries to a couple of Als.

You can bring in players if they are available and if there is a relevant need / upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:58:40 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »

Augustine spent part of 2017 TC in Edmonton then Regina. He didn't come to Winnipeg until 2018 so not exactly his rookie year. Not a veteran either.

We signed Lalama who lasted 7 games before being released and playing 11 games in Montreal. He was starting after injuries to a couple of Als.

You can bring in players if they are available and if there is a relevant need / upgrade.
Yes but I'm just saying I doubt we will do much Canadian wise before the draft.
Pigskin

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 07:53:30 PM »

Let put it this way then, JA27 didn't play a game in the CFL until he came to Winnipeg. JA27 and Speller went undrafted, we signed Speller as a FA in 2018.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:01:27 PM by Pigskin » Logged
blue girl

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 09:46:58 PM »

The only Canadian free agent that I would be interested in is Ackie.
As for the draft my priorities would be
Safety
Defensive Line
dd

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 10:05:43 PM »

Our 1st pick is #18....you drFt the best available athlete and even then, it?s a long shot he makes any noticable impact
kkc60

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 10:11:57 PM »

Our 1st pick is #18....you drFt the best available athlete and even then, it?s a long shot he makes any noticable impact
Might be a nice futures pick (NFL bound player)
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CFL_Draft

Very good listing of the draft order...

First round is...

1    Calgary Stampeders (via Ottawa)          
2    Toronto Argonauts          
3    BC Lions          
4    Edmonton Eskimos          
5    Hamilton Tiger-Cats (via Montreal)          
6    Ottawa Redblacks (via Calgary)          
7    Saskatchewan Roughriders          
8    Hamilton Tiger-Cats          
9    Toronto Argonauts (via Winnipeg)

Forgot that Arbuckle wasn't a First Rounder like Collaros, but rather a flip of first rounders...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 01:33:11 PM »

Augustine never stepped foot in Regina...they cut him before camp...Lucky guy hahaha
booch

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 01:34:02 PM »

The only Canadian free agent that I would be interested in is Ackie.
As for the draft my priorities would be
Safety
Defensive Line
Ackie..Laing..Lokombo...in that order
blue girl

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »

Ackie..Laing..Lokombo...in that order
Lokombo is not a free agent but I would add Laing, especially if TSN is right and Toronto is offering Jefferson in the upper $200,000 range.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 09:15:16 PM »

Lokombo is not a free agent but I would add Laing, especially if TSN is right and Toronto is offering Jefferson in the upper $200,000 range.

Oh my, Willie can hardly be blamed for jumping on it if the Argos offer him $40,000 more than Walters can pay.
TBURGESS

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »

Oh my, Willie can hardly be blamed for jumping on it if the Argos offer him $40,000 more than Walters can is willing to pay.
FIFY

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 09:33:45 PM »

Oh my, Willie can hardly be blamed for jumping on it if the Argos offer him $40,000 more than Walters can pay.

Well, there would be 28k in Grey Cup money he won't get in Toronto Wink

$250k is well within the budget, and what would be a fair price for Jefferson, IF he produces like he can... 

I'd have no problem that is $200 in hard money, even $150k in a signing bonus at the lower tax rate, and has incentives that top out at (including GC pay) $300k...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 09:45:09 PM »

I think Naylor's phrase was the 'high 200s'...  If that means 280 or 290, we would be way better off signing Laing to replace Nevis, and using McAlister and Roh at DE.  That would also allow us to go import at safety.

Jefferson can take over a game, but he doesn't do it every game, and for that money we have options.

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

If it gets to be that 260k is not enough..I agree...we gotta walk as no need to hamstring ourselves....I would hope we move on to Davis, or retain Nevis and use the savings to address a national at safety, or option B target Laing and go National D -tackle and solve ratio issue...Fenner at that point would be an excellent safety option and Alexander works back into one of the vacated secondary spots
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 02:40:42 PM »

If it gets to be that 260k is not enough..I agree...we gotta walk as no need to hamstring ourselves....I would hope we move on to Davis, or retain Nevis and use the savings to address a national at safety, or option B target Laing and go National D -tackle and solve ratio issue...Fenner at that point would be an excellent safety option and Alexander works back into one of the vacated secondary spots

$260k here should be like $290 elsewhere... especially if a lot is upfront signing bonus.  I don't know is overall salaries will go up that much this year, because the cap only went up a small amount compared to the increase in the min salary... $16k increase for probably 15 players... that chops $200k off the budget alone... 

I think the stars will still get paid, but maybe not as much as we would expect.  The QB's that have signed this year show that, sure, they aren't in the same league as Riley/Harris/Bo, but stilll, starting QBs are getting less than $500k...

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »

I think Naylor's phrase was the 'high 200s'...  If that means 280 or 290, we would be way better off signing Laing to replace Nevis, and using McAlister and Roh at DE.  That would also allow us to go import at safety.

Jefferson can take over a game, but he doesn't do it every game, and for that money we have options.

Don't forget about Jeffcoat, easily the second best bookend last season and currently the best one on the roster.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
booch

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »

Don't forget about Jeffcoat, easily the second best bookend last season and currently the best one on the roster.

Not saying it because he wears Blue and Gold but Jeffcoat is the best all-around end in the league...and he has ability too to really influence a game, and has shown that, and also comes up big come play-offs as his 14 tackles...6 sacks and a forced fumble has shown in 4 games...plus was a constant pressure concern
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »

Not saying it because he wears Blue and Gold but Jeffcoat is the best all-around end in the league...and he has ability too to really influence a game, and has shown that, and also comes up big come play-offs as his 14 tackles...6 sacks and a forced fumble has shown in 4 games...plus was a constant pressure concern

He's an excellent DE and paired with Jefferson last season, they were utterly menacing.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
the paw

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »

Yeah, sorry, I was basically assuming that Jeffcoat was one DE and the other two would replace Jefferson at the other end, but the post didn't make that clear. 

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »

Yeah, sorry, I was basically assuming that Jeffcoat was one DE and the other two would replace Jefferson at the other end, but the post didn't make that clear. 
If it went that way, I'd be more than comfortable with Jeffcoat and Roh as the starters with McCallister cutting his teeth as the rotation guy..I see him as a guy having a decent and long career...possibly dominant

Perfect world would be Willie back...and having McCallister learn from him and watch him as they are basically clones
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 03:06:52 PM »

If it went that way, I'd be more than comfortable with Jeffcoat and Roh as the starters with McCallister cutting his teeth as the rotation guy..I see him as a guy having a decent and long career...possibly dominant

Perfect world would be Willie back...and having McCallister learn from him and watch him as they are basically clones

Agreed.

I want Willie back but we can't blow our load on one guy. Figure out what we are willing to pay and if someone offers more and Willie takes it...thanks and best of luck. We have to have a well-rounded team if we want to #repeat

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: