Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 07:01:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antonio Pipkin Released  (Read 1934 times)
dd

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 02:45:15 AM »

I d bring him to TC for a look, what have you got to lose?? He?s started games, did ok, I think Montreal is giving up on him too early and they aren?t exactly rich in Qb depth, if Adams goes down to injury, and he will just like everyone else, they?re toast. Stiffing a guy on his roster bonus s is such a douche move, I hope the Als get what they deserve.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 01:00:00 PM »

I d bring him to TC for a look, what have you got to lose?? He?s started games, did ok, I think Montreal is giving up on him too early and they aren?t exactly rich in Qb depth, if Adams goes down to injury, and he will just like everyone else, they?re toast. Stiffing a guy on his roster bonus s is such a douche move, I hope the Als get what they deserve.

Agree on taking a look.  Disagree on the criticism of avoiding the bonus.  Sports is a business and that's the way she goes when contracts are not guaranteed.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »

Contracts are actually structured that way to benefit the player. It forces the team to commit cap space to the player and thereby helps to affirm their intentions. Now Pipkin is free to sign with other teams early enough into the off-season to have a good chance at another decent contract. If there were no bonuses, Montreal wouldn't have to decide on the player until training camp, at which point most SMS dollars are already allocated, especially at the QB position.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »

Contracts are actually structured that way to benefit the player. It forces the team to commit cap space to the player and thereby helps to affirm their intentions. Now Pipkin is free to sign with other teams early enough into the off-season to have a good chance at another decent contract. If there were no bonuses, Montreal wouldn't have to decide on the player until training camp, at which point most SMS dollars are already allocated, especially at the QB position.
good take on it

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »

No player was ever cut that actually earned his bonus.  It is on the player to perform up to his deal... if not, then they get cut...  not saying good players don't get cut, but they do have to have a level of play commensurate with the pay structure...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »

This player has completed around 25% of his passes. I am not sure he is worth the time.
What?

Yeah most of his stats came as a rookie on an Al's team coached by Mike Sherman and company. Same team that finished dead last.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »

It's not even true. His career completion percentage is 54.39% (99 for 182)
Pigskin

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 08:45:40 PM »

You are right I miss read that stat.
dd

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2020, 10:32:19 PM »

I guess the roster bonus forces the teams hand, thing is, why wait until a week before FA to cut a guy, cut him back in nov or dec if you?re not going to pay him his bonus....the Als haven?t signed any Qbs since the season ended, why not cut him back then and give him and his agent more time to see what?s out there??
the paw

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2020, 01:07:13 AM »

I guess the roster bonus forces the teams hand, thing is, why wait until a week before FA to cut a guy, cut him back in nov or dec if you?re not going to pay him his bonus....the Als haven?t signed any Qbs since the season ended, why not cut him back then and give him and his agent more time to see what?s out there??

There is no huge advantage to the player to be released much earlier.  In the month since Xmas teams are extending some players, waiting for rehab reports, waiting on NFL tryouts etc.  The releasing team may not have made its decision by now, and other teams are awaiting similar information before they start shaping their roster in earnest.

grab grass 'n growl
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2020, 05:17:28 AM »

If the price is right....  better than noob QB straight from College.
DM83

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2020, 06:08:50 AM »

Als signed their starter
Releasing guys early allows them to get a contract, should they deserve one.
It's a respectful thing to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: