Main Menu

XFL 2020 season

Started by Blue In BC, January 27, 2020, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Supposed to start February 8th. I wonder how large the crowds will be.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

there will be hype for the first bit then die off...I do think the league will survive the whole season (it is a very short season) though.  2021 and beyond will be the big question.

I will watch a bit out of curiosity if I happen to be near the TV.

blue_or_die

Oh, this still happening? Is this the thing that's going to make it very hard to sign players in the CFL?
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Totally forgot about the league. Went on the website for a bit. Doesn't look very interesting to me... less so than the AAFL did. On the home page they say "no gimmicks ever" and then I was reading the rules where they allow a second forward pass if the ball stays behind the line of scrimmage. And you can go for 3 points after a touchdown. Sounds like gimmicks to me.

BlueInCgy

I think the no gimmicks ever thing was more in line with XFL 1.0, and the things like nickname nameplates (Rod Smart/He Hate Me), celebrity cheerleaders in the promo (Karen McDougal), and other Attitude Era Vince dreams.

As far as the PATs, it seems a bit convoluted, but it's something different that's not directly borrowed from another league.  IIRC it's 1 point if they scrimmage from the 2 (or 1?) yard line, 2 points if they scrimmage from the 5 yard line, and 3 points if they scrimmage from the 10.

As far as the two forward passes go, it will be interesting to see how those play out.  Problem is, if someone is so open behind the line of scrimmage but in front of the QB and has time to catch a ball, setup, find a receiver, and throw, why wouldn't they just run for 5 yards, cause they'd have at least that much time.

There are a few kicking rules they've introduced that also aren't a direct ripoff of any other league, so that might be interesting to see.

TLDR - I don't know that they will have a product worth watching, but at least the approach is a little more fresh this time around than XFL 1.0.

dd

They ll get some interest from die hard football fans and success will depend on how good and entertaining the product is on the field. The other leagues failed because they were crappy, subpar players , I m thinking it?s going to be the same for this league, 2nd rate players playing in a second rate league

blue_or_die

Kinda interested in checking it out. Now that NFL is done it made me realize I am sad that football is over until June. I'll probably have it on while assembling Ikea furniture next weekend haha.
#Ride?

VictorRomano

Watching the first game.  Former Bomber LB Nick Temple made a nice PD.  Not terrible football, and ESPN announced the first XFL game made more revenue than the AAFLs entire season.

gobombersgo

Quote from: VictorRomano on February 08, 2020, 06:37:29 PM
Watching the first game.  Former Bomber LB Nick Temple made a nice PD.  Not terrible football, and ESPN announced the first XFL game made more revenue than the AAFLs entire season.
Seattle is coached by Jim Zorn and their OC is Mike Riley.

DC has Jhuell Pressley at RB and DE Sam Montgomery.

gobombersgo

Today's later game has LB Quentin Gause playing for LA and kicker Sergio Castillo playing for Houston.

VictorRomano

Castillo just shanked 40-yarder wide left by 10 yards.   :D

dd

June Jones and trestman are HCing in the XFL. I like the idea that there?s $100,000 up for the winner of each game, and they televise what the refs go through during replay?and it doesn?t take them a hundred years to deliberate!!!! Live mic s on the coaches is good too and they have radio communication with all the players on the field.

Also saw Chevy 66s beloved ladamian Washington was playing for one of the teams! 

theaardvark

Watched a bit... better than AAFL, not as good as CFL.  Trestman really struggled with the red zone...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Looked entertaining from what I saw. Not necessarily in a good way but the focus seems to be on football this time around, which may help its cause. At least it's generating revenue.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: VictorRomano on February 08, 2020, 06:37:29 PM

How is that possible... that makes no sense.  As much profit maybe, but gross revenue?

I didn't see the 1st week's games, but I'm watching the game on now (in DC) and it's about as dead in the stands as AAF was.  The crowd noise seems fake for the number of fans in the stands.

I'm having fun playing "spot the Canadian".  So far they aren't mentioning the CFL when they talk about ex-CFL players.  At least AAF would mention it.  But it's early going... maybe they will.

Since this is the first week I'm looking into it, I was shocked that almost all of the teams are in NFL cities!  The AAF was mostly in non-NFL markets.  You'd think it would be the non-NFL markets hungry for 2nd-rate football.  If you put it in major NFL markets, you're only going to get the really hardcore football fans who can't wait for the next NFL season.  Or the people too poor to afford NFL tickets.

So far the level of play and production looks like the AAF... my guess is it will suffer the same fate eventually.  I don't think the CFL has anything to worry about (once again).
Never go full Rider!