Blue Bombers Forum
April 07, 2020, 01:06:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: New 2 QB rule clarification?  (Read 4794 times)
Point of attack

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 07:44:52 PM »

Exactly what the leagues motivation is still unclear.
The overall effect to develop fewer QBs could actually be detrimental to player safety in game for one, and secondly a third option at QB has to be at least a consideration for any teams roster which basically defeats the purpose of the rule.
 So the Bombers new H back is Streveler?
The other dynamic to consider is how this would effect the size of the roster overall.
If someone could enlighten me here please do.
blue girl

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 08:03:35 PM »

I believe that they're taking the third QB off to add another Global player. I personally and I suspect that the majority of the fans would rather have a third QB. I'm hoping that Ambrosie will have his annual tour of the league and that I'll be able to attend. If so I'd like to ask him about this.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 08:22:45 PM »

CFL wont attract QBs with high potential once it is realized they are going to collect a PR cheque sitting behind the #1 and #2. What is the rationale for this rule change?
I cannot  think of a single one!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 08:43:46 PM »

I believe that they're taking the third QB off to add another Global player. I personally and I suspect that the majority of the fans would rather have a third QB. I'm hoping that Ambrosie will have his annual tour of the league and that I'll be able to attend. If so I'd like to ask him about this.

Nothing would have prevented them from increasing the roster size by 1 in order to have 2 Global players. The Globals are SMS excluded as far as I know. In that sense there is an SMS advantage by eliminating the # 3 QB but it still makes no sense. Many of the # 3 QB's were on ELC's.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 09:44:24 PM »

It doesn't happen that often where the starter and backup are both injured but it does happen.

BC - Oct 19, 1996 - Damon Allen & Chris Vargas injured - Giulio Caravatta played. Vargas missed the rest of the season and Caravatta started the next game.

Cgy - Sep 1, 2008 - Henry Burris & Dave Dickenson injured - Barrick Nealy played. Dickenson's career was over - Burris started the next game

Edm - Sep 5, 1988 - Damon Allen & Tracy Ham injured - WR Stephen Jones played QB for 1 series before Ham returned to the game. Damon Allen missed the next 3 games

Ham - Nov 8, 1992 - Damon Allen & Don McPherson injured - Todd Dillon played. Damon Allen started the next game

Mtl - Jul 18, 1978 - Joe Barnes & Sonny Wade injured - Barnes returned to the game after Wade's injury. Wade missed the next 9 games.
Mtl - Aug 29, 1978 - Larry Lawrence & Joe Barnes injured - Gerry Dattilio played. Lawrence never played again & Dattilio got the next start
Mtl - Jun 25, 2015 - Jonathan Crompton & Dan Lefevour injured - Brandon Bridge played. Lefevour missed the rest of the season - Crompton missed the next 9 games - Rakeem Cato started the following week

Ott - Oct 9, 1989 - Damon Allen & Willie Gillus injured - WR Steve Howlett played one series at QB - Starter Damon Allen returned to the game. Both Allen & Gillus missed the remainder of the season. Tony Kimbrough started the next game.

Ssk - Jul 28, 2000 - Henry Burris & Jim Ballard injured - Burris finished the game - John Rayborn was dressed as the 3rd string QB. Ballard missed the remainder of the season.
Ssk - Jun 13, 2019 - Zach Collaros & Cody Fajardo injured - Isaac Harker finished the game - Fajardo did return to run the short yardage offence. Collaros missed most of the season & Fajardo started the next game.

Tor - Nov 11, 1990 - Rickey Foggie & John Congemi injured - Willie Gillus played. Foggie missed the final game of the season & Congemi started the next game.

Wpg - Oct 13, 1996 - Kent Austin & Reggie Slack injured - Kent Austin returned to the game. Reggie Slack missed the next 3 games & Kevin McDougal started the next game
Wpg - Oct 23, 2010 - Steven Jyles & Alex Brink injured - Joey Elliott played. Jyles & Brink missed the rest of the season and Elliott started.
Wpg - Sep 24, 2011 - Buck Pierce & Alex Brink injured - Justin Goltz played. Pierce missed one game & Brink started the next game.
Wpg - Oct 27, 2012 - Buck Pierce & joey Elliott injured - Alex Brink played. Pierce & Elliott missed the final game of the season & Brink got the start.

Wpg - Oct 2, 1988 - starter Tom Muecke left the field during the warmup and spent the remainder of the day in hospital (fluid build up in elbow). The Blue Bombers tried to dress Roy Dewalt but the CFL wouldn't allow it as the lineup was already set. Sean Salisbury played the game without a backup QB.
Wow, thanks for the info/stats, very eye opening.

I don?t see the rationale behind the rule change at all, in fact, it?s counter productive to developing your #3 Qb. Khari Jones was a #3 Qb in BC before he came here, and look at masoli, and Adams and I m sure there?s way more. It?s one thing to hang around on an ELC and another to hang around for PR money in the cfl. The league has got to change this error
blue girl

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 10:22:29 PM »

I haven't seen one person that's for this rule.  Huh
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »

I don't like the rule but I assume it's a money savings idea pushed by owners and accepted by the league?  Just a guess.  I love watching all three QBs on every team.  Nice to see the future.  Nice to develop these great pros.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TBURGESS

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 12:22:38 AM »

I think it's a dumb rule, but the sky isn't falling. Most NFL teams only carry 2 QBs on game day rosters. It hasn't hurt them much.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
dd

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 02:24:18 AM »

Not sure about the nfl, but stats junkie showed us all how often both QBs get knocked out of the game. Not having anyone to take snaps will affect the on field product

Also, Are the 3rd string QBs on the active roster in the NFL?? Having the 3rd stringer hang around on PR wages means not many will stick around as they can get better pay anywhere else doing pretty much anything.

Also, the cfl had what 8 of it?s 9 starting QBs hurt this year. Has Tom Brady ever been hurt and missed games?? Drew brees?? (I know he was hurt in a playoff game years ago with the chargers but he didn?t miss any regular season games). Russell Wilson etc etc. The cfl is a league that lives and dies by the Qb, and given the frequency that both 1&2 are knocked out, this rule makes no sense.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:29:08 AM by dd » Logged
Point of attack

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 02:36:03 AM »

I think it's a dumb rule, but the sky isn't falling. Most NFL teams only carry 2 QBs on game day rosters. It hasn't hurt them much.
[/quote

As with any roster implications the devil is in the details which are a little scarce at this point.
Is exposing more QBs on PRs the idea ?
Providing more opportunities for more QBs ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:37:40 AM by Point of attack » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »

I don't like the rule but I assume it's a money savings idea pushed by owners and accepted by the league?  Just a guess.  I love watching all three QBs on every team.  Nice to see the future.  Nice to develop these great pros.

This is all I can think of, and it's a stretch. Like someone else said, Ambrosie follows the wishes of the owners so this can't be just his hair-brained scheme.

Is this the first time we all agree on something?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »

I can't believe the league is actually saving any money doing this. They're adding another global player to the roster. While that may be SMS exempt it still a cost going to the bottom line. How is that any different than a 3rd QB cost on an ELC?

Yes a # 3 QB might be higher than the very bottom of an ELC but how much? How much does it actually cost for 2 globals on the AR and 2 on the PR even if it's SMS exempt?

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 02:26:45 PM »

This is all I can think of, and it's a stretch. Like someone else said, Ambrosie follows the wishes of the owners so this can't be just his hair-brained scheme.

Is this the first time we all agree on something?

I think the rules committee meets every year in Feb. or March in Banff as part of the league's annual meeting, I guess we'll find out if this rule becomes reality at that point. 
TBURGESS

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 03:48:31 PM »

Not sure about the nfl, but stats junkie showed us all how often both QBs get knocked out of the game. Not having anyone to take snaps will affect the on field product

Also, Are the 3rd string QBs on the active roster in the NFL?? Having the 3rd stringer hang around on PR wages means not many will stick around as they can get better pay anywhere else doing pretty much anything.

Also, the cfl had what 8 of it?s 9 starting QBs hurt this year. Has Tom Brady ever been hurt and missed games?? Drew brees?? (I know he was hurt in a playoff game years ago with the chargers but he didn?t miss any regular season games). Russell Wilson etc etc. The cfl is a league that lives and dies by the Qb, and given the frequency that both 1&2 are knocked out, this rule makes no sense.
16 times in 40+ years isn't that many times less than 1% ((42 Years X 95 Games per year)/16) of the total games. Some of those times, an injured QB could likely have played if there was no 3rd QB.

You can pay you PR guys more than the minimum. Just like every other position, it's accept the PR wage or give up on your football dream. A lot of guys will take the PR wage, but some QB's will make the other choice which will water down the QB level in the CFL which is something no fan wants.

The CFL has been here before. Back in the old days,there were 2 QB's on every roster. A player, usually who'd played QB in high school or college would be chosen by each team to learn a few plays and go in if both real QB's went down. Pretty much guaranteed a loss, but so does being forced to use a 3rd string QB with very limited reps. 

As for saving money... I doubt that's the reason it was done and I doubt it will save much if anything. 3rd string QB's will still want more than minimum PR dollars to stick around. The global player gets league minimum.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »

Interesting how there's a repeat in QBs who went down in dual injury seasons, with Damon Allen at 4 (and Hank twice, Buck twice, and Brink twice).  Granted for the number of years Allen played, I guess it could be expected, though it was at the beginning of his career.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: