Blue Bombers Forum
February 28, 2020, 02:27:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: New 2 QB rule clarification?  (Read 4076 times)
TecnoGenius

« on: January 05, 2020, 06:52:29 AM »

Question: with the new 2QB rule, assuming you can still dress 3 QBs (with 1 being a DI), does the 3rd count as a QB?  Designated QBs have special rules, like having to have one present in the formation at all times.  What if the 3rd doesn't count as a designated QB because the rule says only 2 designated QBs?

Does that mean if our 2 QBs were Nichols/McGuire, and we wanted Collaros dressed too, that if we run a play with Collaros at QB we have to have McGuire somewhere in the formation as well??  Has anyone looked into this?

In other words, is Ambrosie not only making it unattractive to dress 3 QBs: is he making it basically impossible?  (Where impossible = incredibly onerous and extremely disadvantageous.)

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »

I have a hunch (unless it's outlawed) that most teams dress their 3rd QB as a "WR" or something but just keep them on the bench or on specials.
gobombersgo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »

Wasn't there also a change in the CBA for this upcoming season in regards to player substitutions?

Won't Americans be able to replace Nationals when they are injured in game?

TBURGESS

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »

QB's are QB's. 2 on the game day roster is the new rule. Dressing a 3rd would be interesting ratio wise. Likely would be classed as an import/DI.

My guess is that teams won't be allowed to dress a 3rd QB or designate a 3rd QB as anything else next year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Jesse

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »

I'm assuming 2 QBs means....wait for it.....2 QBs.

A third QB on the roster would have to be on the PR or injury list.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »

I'm assuming 2 QBs means....wait for it.....2 QBs.

A third QB on the roster would have to be on the PR or injury list.

+ 1.  Dressing a # 3 QB as a DI and calling him a WR would be pointless.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:33:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:08:23 PM »

The rule is absolutely absurd and counter intuitive based on all the injuries to QBs last season.   There have been games in CFL in past seasons where both #1 and #2 QBs went down and teams had to play their #3 pivot.    It happens.   I can't understand how the anyone could endorse this move by Ambrosie???

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 03:08:40 PM »

This has been discussed before, the CFL has rules in place that identify QB's and do not allow them to fill in at other positions. Probably the only reason we never saw Streveler and Collaros on the field at the same time, which would have been fun to watch.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »

The rule is absolutely absurd and counter intuitive based on all the injuries to QBs last season.   There have been games in CFL in past seasons where both #1 and #2 QBs went down and teams had to play their #3 pivot.    It happens.   I can't understand how the anyone could endorse this move by Ambrosie???

Lest we forget Ambrosie is the spokesperson for the owners, not a tin-pot dictator that makes up the rules on a whim and the schedule on the fly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:57:27 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 04:49:44 PM »

I think the reason this topic continues to resurface seemingly every week is because it's frankly unbelievable.

Like, "you guys sure it's going to work this way? Because it doesn't make sense." Understandable.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:07:34 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
dd

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »

I agree the rule is counter intuitive, but when has both the #1 and #2 QBs went down to injury??
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »

I agree the rule is counter intuitive, but when has both the #1 and #2 QBs went down to injury??

It has happened in the past. Most recent that I recall is Montreal a couple of years ago.

That's less the point in how does it help retain a # 3 QB in the development path. A # 3 with at least 1 CFL season isn't going to want to sit on the PR for PR money. Of course you can pay him more but it's counter productive to just having him on the AR.

PR spots are limited and using 1 one for a QB seems a waste unless he is actually a true rookie. Then what happens when he's going into his 2nd year? He won't then want to sit on the PR for a 2nd season.

Ambrosie needs to change this rule, otherwise we're just going to see a QB on teams 1 game IR. That's just bending this system and creates no advantage to the SMS.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »

The way that I understand it is that you can only have 2 QBs  on the active roster. However I suspect that teams will have a third QB on the 1 game IR with some sort of injury. As for Americans replacing Canadians during the game I believe that it has to be an American that has played in the league for 5 years and only if a Canadian is injured.
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »

It doesn't happen that often where the starter and backup are both injured but it does happen.

BC - Oct 19, 1996 - Damon Allen & Chris Vargas injured - Giulio Caravatta played. Vargas missed the rest of the season and Caravatta started the next game.

Cgy - Sep 1, 2008 - Henry Burris & Dave Dickenson injured - Barrick Nealy played. Dickenson's career was over - Burris started the next game

Edm - Sep 5, 1988 - Damon Allen & Tracy Ham injured - WR Stephen Jones played QB for 1 series before Ham returned to the game. Damon Allen missed the next 3 games

Ham - Nov 8, 1992 - Damon Allen & Don McPherson injured - Todd Dillon played. Damon Allen started the next game

Mtl - Jul 18, 1978 - Joe Barnes & Sonny Wade injured - Barnes returned to the game after Wade's injury. Wade missed the next 9 games.
Mtl - Aug 29, 1978 - Larry Lawrence & Joe Barnes injured - Gerry Dattilio played. Lawrence never played again & Dattilio got the next start
Mtl - Jun 25, 2015 - Jonathan Crompton & Dan Lefevour injured - Brandon Bridge played. Lefevour missed the rest of the season - Crompton missed the next 9 games - Rakeem Cato started the following week

Ott - Oct 9, 1989 - Damon Allen & Willie Gillus injured - WR Steve Howlett played one series at QB - Starter Damon Allen returned to the game. Both Allen & Gillus missed the remainder of the season. Tony Kimbrough started the next game.

Ssk - Jul 28, 2000 - Henry Burris & Jim Ballard injured - Burris finished the game - John Rayborn was dressed as the 3rd string QB. Ballard missed the remainder of the season.
Ssk - Jun 13, 2019 - Zach Collaros & Cody Fajardo injured - Isaac Harker finished the game - Fajardo did return to run the short yardage offence. Collaros missed most of the season & Fajardo started the next game.

Tor - Nov 11, 1990 - Rickey Foggie & John Congemi injured - Willie Gillus played. Foggie missed the final game of the season & Congemi started the next game.

Wpg - Oct 13, 1996 - Kent Austin & Reggie Slack injured - Kent Austin returned to the game. Reggie Slack missed the next 3 games & Kevin McDougal started the next game
Wpg - Oct 23, 2010 - Steven Jyles & Alex Brink injured - Joey Elliott played. Jyles & Brink missed the rest of the season and Elliott started.
Wpg - Sep 24, 2011 - Buck Pierce & Alex Brink injured - Justin Goltz played. Pierce missed one game & Brink started the next game.
Wpg - Oct 27, 2012 - Buck Pierce & joey Elliott injured - Alex Brink played. Pierce & Elliott missed the final game of the season & Brink got the start.

Wpg - Oct 2, 1988 - starter Tom Muecke left the field during the warmup and spent the remainder of the day in hospital (fluid build up in elbow). The Blue Bombers tried to dress Roy Dewalt but the CFL wouldn't allow it as the lineup was already set. Sean Salisbury played the game without a backup QB.

@Stats_Junkie
Doublezero

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »

CFL wont attract QBs with high potential once it is realized they are going to collect a PR cheque sitting behind the #1 and #2. What is the rationale for this rule change?

Just gimme the rock.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: