Blue Bombers Forum
June 02, 2020, 12:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winston Rose released...signs with Bengals  (Read 3321 times)
bigbuff33

« on: December 27, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »

...to pursue NFL opportunities...several workouts already.

Good luck man...if it doesn't work yet...hope you're back
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:45:23 PM by bigbuff33 » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »

Well that sucks but good luck to him. That said work outs won't automatically generate a contract which will meet his expectations. He may not be willing to just be a TC candidate without some up front money. If gets some guarantees then he'll likely accept an NFL deal.

Obviously that would be a significant loss for the Bombers.  1 year CFL deals for veterans is something all teams face each off season.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »

Having a great culture/facilities and having just won a championship will be a huge lure of getting our guys back if they come back to the CFL, but best case scenario we get these back at mid-(CFL) season.

Frick.

Best of luck my man.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
RebusRankin

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »

Good for him, bad for us. Hopefully our scouts have identified the next Rose.
kkc60

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »

Sucks to lose him but if it's to the NFL, that's okay.

Excited to see the competition this year in TC
blue_or_die

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »

Mike Jones??

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »

Mike Jones??
possibly!

Let?s get some serious DB competition going.

Guess I do not need to worry about running into Roses sketchy friends at the Bomber store for a while. Strange rude dudes man.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GCn19

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »

Congrats Winston!! Finally a reason to watch the Bengals.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »

I'm bummed that we lost him--an incredible player--but am thrilled for him that his outstanding play had transpired into an NFL gig. His instincts of where to be to pick off the opposition's QB were spot on.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 12:09:25 AM »

Finally going to make some big bucks... enjoy the NFL Winston and if you are tired of counting your cash down south, the Bombers will always welcome you back with open arms...
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 12:20:20 AM »

Bad for The Bombers but good for Winston Rose. Good luck to him. He's going to need it in Cincinnati.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 06:53:29 AM »

Happy for Rose.  I think he has a legit shot of making something happen, but the competition is going to be fierce.  I'll never forget his "let's go Strevie!" on-screen hug after the GC.  Class guy who made our team a lot better.  We went from a meh DB-corps to the best in the league.

Never go full Rider!
1chad

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »

Happy for him to get this opportunity.  If it doesn't work out, there will always be a place in Winnipeg for him!
blue_or_die

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »

Bad for The Bombers but good for Winston Rose. Good luck to him. He's going to need it in Cincinnati.

He's already their best player

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »

Congrats Winston!! Finally a reason to watch the Bengals.
They will draft local boy Joe Borrow as well.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »

Not likely to find an equivalent replacement, so the regression begins.  They might want to re-sign Fenner for his experience playing corner.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 05:56:27 PM »

Not likely to find an equivalent replacement, so the regression begins.  They might want to re-sign Fenner for his experience playing corner.

Ciante Evans, Nick Marshall and Frankie Williams are all potential free agents at the moment. IIRC Williams can play all positions in the secondary and is an excellent returner as well.

I'd be most interested in Marshall if he chooses to leave Regina.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 06:22:53 PM »

Ciante Evans, Nick Marshall and Frankie Williams are all potential free agents at the moment. IIRC Williams can play all positions in the secondary and is an excellent returner as well.

I'd be most interested in Marshall if he chooses to leave Regina.

Nick Marshal is a complete ***-hat, Darvin would surely veto his acquisition.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »

Nick Marshal is a complete ***-hat, Darvin would surely veto his acquisition.
As much as I hate Marshall he is a baller and can lay a lick. Would OSH want him is another question?

Frankie Williams would be a great acquisition as well.

RebusRankin

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »

I'd rather land Evans or Williams. Marhsall is an overrated douche.
blue girl

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »

I'm sure that The Bombers have someone else to replace him or will go to free agency to do it.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 11:33:08 PM »

Was amazing to have him while we did

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 01:15:05 AM »

I don?t like Marshall as a guy but that?s most likely my anti-Rider bias. I?m sure I?d throw on the blue tinted sunglasses if we signed him. That said, definitely doubt that happens.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 02:51:15 AM »

Clown Marshall will never sign in WPG while The Mafia is in charge.  He's anti-MOS-locker-room material.  After D.Carter, I'd say Marshall is the biggest clown in the CFL.

As someone already said... Jones#16 staying will go a long way to keeping our DB corps great.  However, I think Jones plays opposite side to Rose.  And the Fenner idea is good too.  I thought he was excellent.  I have a feeling Sayles will be back from the NFL soon.  Add in Alexander and we're almost there!

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »

Fenner?
Are you blind? When he was replaced the secondary immediately I,proved.. He should be a linebacker
blue_or_die

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 03:59:59 PM »

Fenner?
Are you blind? When he was replaced the secondary immediately I,proved.. He should be a linebacker

He's experienced and while picked on early last season, he got better as time went on and he got more comfortable with the starting role. Unfortunately, not good enough to keep his job when Mike Jones was coming up the pipe.

With Rose gone, I might propose we move Jones to the boundary side and re-sign Fenner as field corner. Of course, there might be some new talent ready to step in that I don't know about.

buckzumhoff

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »

Rose was the best defensive back . I think Walters will find a good player . but stay away from Marshall. he was burned bad by Adams a few times also by other receivers  and he takes bad penalties . I wouldn't take any players off sask in the defensive back position
GCn19

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »

Marshall is a selfish player. No thanks. He and Gainey showed incredible lack of discipline all season long. That sort of thing does not fly on a MOS team.

There is some talk in Hamilton that Delvin Breaux may be a SMS casualty. He would be a very nice get if we can afford him.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:02:41 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »

He's experienced and while picked on early last season, he got better as time went on and he got more comfortable with the starting role. Unfortunately, not good enough to keep his job when Mike Jones was coming up the pipe.

With Rose gone, I might propose we move Jones to the boundary side and re-sign Fenner as field corner. Of course, there might be some new talent ready to step in that I don't know about.

I'm a Fenner fan, but the fact he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs is not a good sign for his prospects to return.  Mike Jones had a couple of good games in the playoffs, but his early starts in the year were rough.  The jury is still out in terms of how good he is IMHO.

I think Alexander will go back to dhb, and I bet we go Canadian at safety.  If we manage to hang on to Nick Taylor and Sayles comes back, then we will be fine.  If we lose Sayles too, then we need to go shopping.

grab grass 'n growl
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »

I'm a Fenner fan, but the fact he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs is not a good sign for his prospects to return.  Mike Jones had a couple of good games in the playoffs, but his early starts in the year were rough.  The jury is still out in terms of how good he is IMHO.

I think Alexander will go back to dhb, and I bet we go Canadian at safety.  If we manage to hang on to Nick Taylor and Sayles comes back, then we will be fine.  If we lose Sayles too, then we need to go shopping.
well said that pretty much sums it up in the secondary currently.

dd

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2019, 08:56:07 PM »

Ya, we brought in Fenner and Gaitor a couple of years ago to upgrade our secondary only to find out they too couldn?t cut it. Kudos to our scouting staff for bringing in the likes of Jones and Maston, and signing Winston rose and with the move of Alexander to safety our secondary was transformed to what it needed to be to bring a championship here.

We ll likely lose a couple of players (sayles, rose??) but we ll restock the secondary with talented players-coming off a championship and keeping our HC/good locker room in place are drawing cards in the FA market
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »

Ya, we brought in Fenner and Gaitor a couple of years ago to upgrade our secondary only to find out they too couldn?t cut it. Kudos to our scouting staff for bringing in the likes of Jones and Maston, and signing Winston rose and with the move of Alexander to safety our secondary was transformed to what it needed to be to bring a championship here.

We ll likely lose a couple of players (sayles, rose??) but we ll restock the secondary with talented players-coming off a championship and keeping our HC/good locker room in place are drawing cards in the FA market
\

The secondary and the D as a whole peaked perfectly for the playoffs, it's inevitable there will be a decline in player quality with the personnel losses Walters has to deal with.  Very likely the D-line will not be near as good if they lose Jefferson and same goes with the secondary with the loss of Rose and perhaps Sayles.  Solid secondary players such as Fenner, Gaitor and Roh may be the immediate solution that can fill the breech until more dominant players establish themselves in the second half of the season.  As long as the Bombers can keep pace with their competitors in the West division these adjustments will have to be made on the go.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2019, 05:29:41 AM »

Fenner?
Are you blind
? When he was replaced the secondary immediately I,proved.. He should be a linebacker

That's because at the exact same time they pulled Fenner they replaced Hecht with Alexander!  Fenner was evolving into a very good player his last 3-4 games.  He was no longer the liability he was early in the year.

And Fenner stuck around even though he was benched.  I think he'll be fine starting again.

Solid secondary players such as Fenner, Gaitor and Roh may be the immediate solution that can fill the breech until more dominant players establish themselves in the second half of the season.  As long as the Bombers can keep pace with their competitors in the West division these adjustments will have to be made on the go.

Gaitor is gonzo.  I don't see him ever wearing B&G again.  MOS sounded pissed off whenever his name was mentioned after the kerfuffle.  Bad move on Gaitor's part!  Seeya!

Roh was very capable and was always good, and stuck around and helped on the sidelines the whole year.  Not JJ/WJ good.  But good.  Roh would be fine to fill in for WJ until WJ's status is known.

I'm looking around the league at DBs (DEs too!) and really none jump out at me.  Breaux didn't impress me as once teams realized he wasn't invincible and started throwing his way he just looked average.  Maybe he's too old now.  However, if there are some star FA DBs out there, I don't see why they wouldn't give WPG (and guaranteed playoff money) some thought.  I'm sure MOS/KW/Hall have their short-list of nice-to-haves already made up.

Ah, such is the problem of having the #1 DL and #1 DB corps in the CFL last year... all the other teams' FAs look pedestrian!   Cheesy

Never go full Rider!
dd

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2019, 06:02:24 AM »

Ya, Gaitor was asked to take on a reduced role and declined and was released. He ain?t coming back and good!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »

Ya, Gaitor was asked to take on a reduced role and declined and was released. He ain?t coming back and good!!

I'm aware of that, his name has now been removed from the roster but he was on the team right through the G.C. victory.  I fail to see how this is good news for the team, Gaitor is still a good versatile D-back who could come in handy in a changing secondary, just because he got upset when his status changed is no reason to throw hate at him. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:45:21 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »

I'm aware of that, his name has now been removed from the roster but he was on the team right through the G.C. victory.  I fail to see how this is good news for the team, Gaitor is still a good versatile D-back who could come in handy in a changing secondary, just because he got upset when his status changed is no reason to throw hate at him. 

We'll never know the entire story I suppose. As a vet they couldn't technically release him without paying him for the balance of the season and post season money.

He was in his 2nd year as a Bomber so I would have thought he'd be on the potential free agent list even if that didn't happen.

As of today he is technically already a free agent. It will be interesting to see who and / or how quickly he signs elsewhere. Wouldn't entirely surprise me to see him back in Vancouver.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:15:29 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 07:05:50 PM »

Its hard to come back from not reporting to a team you are under contract to.  The "quitter" label is not a good one in the lockerroom... and coaches don't want that...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 07:16:37 PM »

Its hard to come back from not reporting to a team you are under contract to.  The "quitter" label is not a good one in the lockerroom... and coaches don't want that...

True enough but I suspect he'll get an offer some where this season.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »

True enough but I suspect he'll get an offer some where this season.

No doubt, and a fresh start will do him good... maybe OTT...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2019, 04:29:43 AM »

That's because at the exact same time they pulled Fenner they replaced Hecht with Alexander!  Fenner was evolving into a very good player his last 3-4 games.  He was no longer the liability he was early in the year.

And Fenner stuck around even though he was benched.  I think he'll be fine starting again.

Gaitor is gonzo.  I don't see him ever wearing B&G again.  MOS sounded pissed off whenever his name was mentioned after the kerfuffle.  Bad move on Gaitor's part!  Seeya!

Roh was very capable and was always good, and stuck around and helped on the sidelines the whole year.  Not JJ/WJ good.  But good.  Roh would be fine to fill in for WJ until WJ's status is known.

I'm looking around the league at DBs (DEs too!) and really none jump out at me.  Breaux didn't impress me as once teams realized he wasn't invincible and started throwing his way he just looked average.  Maybe he's too old now.  However, if there are some star FA DBs out there, I don't see why they wouldn't give WPG (and guaranteed playoff money) some thought.  I'm sure MOS/KW/Hall have their short-list of nice-to-haves already made up.

Ah, such is the problem of having the #1 DL and #1 DB corps in the CFL last year... all the other teams' FAs look pedestrian!   Cheesy

As much as I want you to be right about the bolded, I do think you have to admit that "guaranteed" playoff money is far more set in stone if you are with Hamilton vs. Winnipeg, simply because of the disparity with east vs west.

Blue In BC

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »

Rose signing with the Bengals means he probably has a very good chance of making their roster. At worst a PR spot with more money than he'd get in the CFL.

If he had signed with a team that had a very good defense his chances might have been lower.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »

Rose signing with the Bengals means he probably has a very good chance of making their roster. At worst a PR spot with more money than he'd get in the CFL.

If he had signed with a team that had a very good defense his chances might have been lower.

Regardless of the team being good or not, it's a futures contract. I wouldn't put too much stock into it as they aren't typically worth much and there's no signing bonus except for pretty rare instances. It's obviously better money upfront than the CFL but it's simply a low-risk "investment" for the team to see what he brings to the table come next year's training camp.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for him next year.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Jesse

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »

Regardless of the team being good or not, it's a futures contract. I wouldn't put too much stock into it as they aren't typically worth much and there's no signing bonus except for pretty rare instances. It's obviously better money upfront than the CFL but it's simply a low-risk "investment" for the team to see what he brings to the table come next year's training camp.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for him next year.

He told Darrin Bauming that he chose the Be gals over the Eagles because they gave him more assurances. What that is, who knows, but he certainly feels like he has a shot.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »

He told Darrin Bauming that he chose the Be gals over the Eagles because they gave him more assurances. What that is, who knows, but he certainly feels like he has a shot.

A team can say a lot without being serious about it. And I'd certainly expect him to feel confident about getting another shot in the NFL; he's earned it.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »

Rose in Cincinnati
https://www.bengals.com/video/one-on-one-winston-rose-signs-future-reserve-contract
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »

thanks for the link, I am really excited for him.  If he makes it I hope that folks on here will keep us updated on his progress as some of us don't watch much American ball!

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »

thanks for the link, I am really excited for him.  If he makes it I hope that folks on here will keep us updated on his progress as some of us don't watch much American ball!

Nobody watches the Bengals that much!! lol

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »

Nope lol. I literally have never met anyone who has been a fan of that team.

Blue In BC

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »

Well if Rose makes their roster I'll watch parts of a few early games to see how he does.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2020, 08:54:54 PM »

Nope lol. I literally have never met anyone who has been a fan of that team.

I'd tag him if the forum had the function but isn't Jesse a Bengals fan?

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
blue_or_die

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 08:57:58 PM »

I'd tag him if the forum had the function but isn't Jesse a Bengals fan?

Yes. I am using this as a platform to make fun of him, as I tend to do.

Cool

Jesse

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:52 PM »

Yes. I am using this as a platform to make fun of him, as I tend to do.

Cool

Angry

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »

Angry

Cheesy

There he is!

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »

They will once they draft Burrow.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:06:42 PM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2020, 09:49:16 PM »

They will once they draft Borrow.

Who or what is Borrow. I assume a 1st round probable pick. Regardless. It will take a lot more than a few new players to turn that team around.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2020, 10:47:18 PM »

Who or what is Borrow. I assume a 1st round probable pick. Regardless. It will take a lot more than a few new players to turn that team around.
Joe Burrow, the QB at LSU who is expected to be the first overall pick in the draft.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2020, 11:07:38 PM »

Joe Burrow, the QB at LSU who is expected to be the first overall pick in the draft.
yes exactly, him. The reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Dude looks like a luck to be a super star in The League.

Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »

yes exactly, him. The reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Dude looks like a luck to be a super star in The League.

As we know it takes more than a very good QB to become successful in year 1 and it takes a talented team around him. At the moment that isn't the 2 -14 Bengals. Look at the teams that drafted QB's in the 1st round 2019 draft.

I'll still watch to see how Rose does if he sticks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:29:13 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: