Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2020, 08:46:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 27278 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »

No, we will not sign a QB and dump him on the 6 game IR...neither will Hamilton. Players on the 6 game are not allowed to practice or attend team meetings and must also agree to go on the 6 game. If a team wants to do that...go for it...they are not doing themselves any favors whatsoever.

There is a very good possibility that Masoli will not be ready for the beginning of the year, so it is a reasonable possibility in his case, not so much anywhere else.  Who's to say what the chemistry on the Ti-Cat team is, Evans knows he was fortunate to receive the opportunity to accelerate his development time and he may be content to let this year play out instead of forcing a change which could damage the teams hopes of winning a G.C.  By all accounts he is the ultimate team player.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »

I think Naylor is out to lunch.  There is no way you can put Evans back on the bench after the year he had for them. He is playing as well as Masoli did, and is clearly the future for them. 

And Masoli is not signing to be anyone's back-up or "1B".  He fought for a long time to get his shot, and he's been very productive.  He is going to be able to ask for, and get, a contract that establishes him as the clear starter.  (By that I mean significant signing bonus, and fewer incentives based on games played etc.)  His ACL recovery is a factor, but in a year when both the Argos and Ottawa are desperate for a proven starter he has sufficient leverage. 

Sure they would Masoli is their veteran. Same kind of situation as Arbuckle not replacing BLM. Although Arbuckle is a potential free agent while Evans is not. Evans is already under contract on an ELC for 2 years IIRC.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 06:15:18 PM »

Sure they would Masoli is their veteran. Same kind of situation as Arbuckle not replacing BLM. Although Arbuckle is a potential free agent while Evans is not. Evans is already under contract on an ELC for 2 years IIRC.

The TiCats need to extend Evans ASAP to a bigger money deal or he may fly the coop to an NFL offer that is not strong. In this age where everyone can go any offseason now, teams with underpaid QBs best make them fairly compensated quickly imo. Making Evans sit on an ELC for another two years is not exactly the cheese that will entice him to be loyal.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Nic16

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 06:44:26 PM »

I think Naylor is out to lunch.  There is no way you can put Evans back on the bench after the year he had for them. He is playing as well as Masoli did, and is clearly the future for them. 

And Masoli is not signing to be anyone's back-up or "1B".  He fought for a long time to get his shot, and he's been very productive.  He is going to be able to ask for, and get, a contract that establishes him as the clear starter.  (By that I mean significant signing bonus, and fewer incentives based on games played etc.)  His ACL recovery is a factor, but in a year when both the Argos and Ottawa are desperate for a proven starter he has sufficient leverage. 

Thinking the exact same on all points. No idea what Naylor is thinking...unless he?s a Ti-Cat fan and it?s all wishful thinking.

Evans is a bonafide starter, and bringing Masoli back for what would amount to $200G+/yr more to be the backup...I just don?t see that working. Masoli is now at the stage in his career where he will want/need to be the starter and will demand the $$ that goes with it.
the paw

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:29 PM »

Not the same situation at all, IMHO.  Arbuckle played well, but no one would say he plays as well as Bo Levi.  And Bo Levi is under contract, Arbuckle is not.  It's exactly the opposite in Hamilton.  

Evans played as well as Masoli did, he is way younger, they can lock him up long term for a very affordable rate (that will still be a mega-raise for him), and he isn't coming off an ACL.   Putting him back on the bench may show loyalty to your veteran, but it will sure sour the dynamic in the QB room.  And  since his contract is up its not like you have to cut your veteran , you just have to say "couldn't come to terms".

I guess they might try to have their cake and eat it too, but I'll be surprised if it goes down that way.  

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »

Not the same situation at all, IMHO.  Arbuckle played well, but no one would say he plays as well as Bo Levi.  And Bo Levi is under contract, Arbuckle is not.  It's exactly the opposite in Hamilton.  

Evans played as well as Masoli did, he is way younger, they can lock him up long term for a very affordable rate (that will still be a mega-raise for him), and he isn't coming off an ACL.   Putting him back on the bench may show loyalty to your veteran, but it will sure sour the dynamic in the QB room.  And  since his contract is up its not like you have to cut your veteran , you just have to say "couldn't come to terms".

I guess they might try to have their cake and eat it too, but I'll be surprised if it goes down that way.  

I disagree Evans played as well as Masoli. He's a 1st year starter and there is no guarantee he can repeat that performance any more than Arbuckle. Since he's under contract he has little choice but to be the # 2 is Masoli is re-signed. It's a luxury to have if injury, delay in returning from injury or poor performance rears it's head under Masoli.

If he does have 2 years remaining on his current contract there is no financial issue. Define long term contract? When do we see contracts longer than 3 years. So at best Evans would get an additional season added but a more expensive contract starting in 2020?

Don't see the point when the option out still exists.

Did you watch his inexperienced show up in the Grey Cup game? I'm not saying Masoli would have won if he played but IMO that game would have been different and probably closer.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:22:49 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 07:21:22 PM »

Yep the cards kind of lay in Masoli's hands, if he can make similar money elsewhere he might be wise to explore his options as it's not likely the Ti-Cats are going to let Evans explore F.A. in the next few years, he's their future.
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »

Yep the cards kind of lay in Masoli's hands, if he can make similar money elsewhere he might be wise to explore his options as it's not likely the Ti-Cats are going to let Evans explore F.A. in the next few years, he's their future.

Masoli might get a better offer elsewhere but he might prefer Hamilton.

Going into 2019 Masoli was the current and future franchise QB in Hamilton.. The thought that Evans is the future and wouldn't explore other options at the end of any contract expiring is not written in stone anywhere.

In 2018 Masoli threw for more yards than any QB besides Reilly.

Now it's possible that Evans will become a top 3 QB in the CFL. Perhaps he deserves that much praise.

I see no reason why the Ticats don't re-sign Masoli and he regains the role of # 1 QB.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »

Does HAM have a good GM and HC?  If so, HAM keeps Masoli as #1 and pays him as such.  Evans accepts the backup role with some nice incentives added in, or you trade him to a tirefire team for some major asset you require.  My guess is he stays, and that allows HAM to ease Masoli back in if he's not quite ready in week 1.

HAM could also wait until some team gets desperate for a QB to fill in for an injury and then trade Evans for a big asset.

Just don't make Evans your short-yardage guy!  Hahahahaha  Shocked Grin Grin Cool

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

Does HAM have a good GM and HC?  If so, HAM keeps Masoli as #1 and pays him as such.  Evans accepts the backup role with some nice incentives added in, or you trade him to a tirefire team for some major asset you require.  My guess is he stays, and that allows HAM to ease Masoli back in if he's not quite ready in week 1.

HAM could also wait until some team gets desperate for a QB to fill in for an injury and then trade Evans for a big asset.

Just don't make Evans your short-yardage guy!  Hahahahaha  Shocked Grin Grin Cool

I can tell you one thing about QBs that I've learned from my years playing and coaching football. No matter what they say they are never happy to be a backup. You guys are in la la land if you think that after the season Evans had that he will be a happy camper holding a clip board for the next 1-2 years behind Masoli.

GCn19

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 12:28:40 PM »

I disagree Evans played as well as Masoli. He's a 1st year starter and there is no guarantee he can repeat that performance any more than Arbuckle. Since he's under contract he has little choice but to be the # 2 is Masoli is re-signed. It's a luxury to have if injury, delay in returning from injury or poor performance rears it's head under Masoli.

If he does have 2 years remaining on his current contract there is no financial issue. Define long term contract? When do we see contracts longer than 3 years. So at best Evans would get an additional season added but a more expensive contract starting in 2020?

Don't see the point when the option out still exists.

Did you watch his inexperienced show up in the Grey Cup game? I'm not saying Masoli would have won if he played but IMO that game would have been different and probably closer.

Masoli is just as inexperienced in Grey Cups as Dane Evans, and imho he would not have won that game for the TiCats either. We were just a dominant team that day. Evans didn't really do anything wrong that day, his OL couldn't handle our pass rush. Masoli would have been a dead duck too.

bluebeard

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »

I agree.  There is no team in the CFL on that day, could have handled our team.  They were unbeatable.  Give credit to the coaching staff for that.
booch

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »

Thing in Hamilton, if Masoli is healthy and ready, and signs back there, then Evan's has to beat him out in TC and pre-season and confirm he is the better, he can't default as the starter because he had a decent season last year, tho wilting when it mattered most. I don't think masoli would have beat our defence in the Grey Cup but he would have gave more a fight and been a better leader.

If Evan's doesn't out perform Masoli and win the job outta TC last year, then he has no reason to pout and be unhappy being the back-up...bide your time and win it back in practice...show you are a true teamate
theaardvark

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »

Thing in Hamilton, if Masoli is healthy and ready, and signs back there, then Evan's has to beat him out in TC and pre-season and confirm he is the better, he can't default as the starter because he had a decent season last year, tho wilting when it mattered most. I don't think masoli would have beat our defence in the Grey Cup but he would have gave more a fight and been a better leader.

If Evan's doesn't out perform Masoli and win the job outta TC last year, then he has no reason to pout and be unhappy being the back-up...bide your time and win it back in practice...show you are a true teamate

Ummm... if the TiCats give Masoli a new deal, at starters money, then heck yeah, Evans has something to pout about.  He led their team to a franchise record number of wins and a GC appearance they would probably have won against CGY or SSK... 

I don't know where you can say he has no reason to pout if the team chooses to bring in someone over to of his that he has to "beat out in camp" just to end up making a fraction of the money if he does so.

Epitome of "something to pout about"...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »

Masoli is just as inexperienced in Grey Cups as Dane Evans, and imho he would not have won that game for the TiCats either. We were just a dominant team that day. Evans didn't really do anything wrong that day, his OL couldn't handle our pass rush. Masoli would have been a dead duck too.

I said I didn't think Masoli would have beaten the Bombers. I said he would have played better. I don't agree Evans didn't do anything wrong. Pressure made him force the ball into coverage rather than throw it away for example or take the sack. Not being as aware of pocket pressure etc etc.

A more experienced QB doesn't make those mistakes and reads the defense better.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: