Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2020, 07:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 27261 times)
booch

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »

Ummm... if the TiCats give Masoli a new deal, at starters money, then heck yeah, Evans has something to pout about.  He led their team to a franchise record number of wins and a GC appearance they would probably have won against CGY or SSK... 

I don't know where you can say he has no reason to pout if the team chooses to bring in someone over to of his that he has to "beat out in camp" just to end up making a fraction of the money if he does so.

Epitome of "something to pout about"...

He has no reason to pout..Masoli may have lead them to a better record...and won the cup...you dont know otherwise..nor does he...nor do the Cats...and he signed on at a 3 year deal knowing he was the "back-up" to Masoli...not the starter...so in Camp...prove that you are the starter...suck it up...welcome the challenge and prove your worth...any other attitude or character flaw is something i WOULDN'T  want on my squad...and his pissy attitude,lack of leadership and whining and turtling in the Grey Cup tells me he isn't ready for prime time regardless what he did last year during the regular season....he signed his deal...he has to honor it and prove he is better...how you don't see that is baffling...
GCn19

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 04:45:48 PM »

He has no reason to pout..Masoli may have lead them to a better record...and won the cup...you dont know otherwise..nor does he...nor do the Cats...and he signed on at a 3 year deal knowing he was the "back-up" to Masoli...not the starter...so in Camp...prove that you are the starter...suck it up...welcome the challenge and prove your worth...any other attitude or character flaw is something i WOULDN'T  want on my squad...and his pissy attitude,lack of leadership and whining and turtling in the Grey Cup tells me he isn't ready for prime time regardless what he did last year during the regular season....he signed his deal...he has to honor it and prove he is better...how you don't see that is baffling...

The thing is that he doesn't have to honor his deal now that CFL players can try the NFL after every offseason. He has a great arm, he might decide to test that South of the border. Better to hold a clip board down there than up here. He is locked in for two more years up here, no doubt about it, but at some point Hamilton has to make a choice and if they are a quality organization not hold back one of the two guys involved.

IF the Ticats believe Evans is the future, it would be risky to re-sign Masoli. However, I do agree that if both are signed that it should be an open competition in camp. May the best man win...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:48:53 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »

To be in the situation to decide between Evans starting or backing up, they have to consciously decide to bring back Masoli.  A conscious decision to pass over Evans, who has more than proven himself...  If they sign Masoli to a starters wage, they are saying to Evans, "We have you under contract at ELC money, even though you could start in the league, so shut up and take it".  Like Toronto did with Wilder, and BC with Jennings, except in both those cases, i don't think they showed as much as Evans has.

The thing is that he doesn't have to honor his deal now that CFL players can try the NFL after every offseason. He has a great arm, he might decide to test that South of the border. Better to hold a clip board down there than up here. He is locked in for two more years up here, no doubt about it, but at some point Hamilton has to make a choice and if they are a quality organization not hold back one of the two guys involved.

IF the Ticats believe Evans is the future, it would be risky to re-sign Masoli. However, I do agree that if both are signed that it should be an open competition in camp. May the best man win...

Not sure if it is resolved yet, but players under contract for 202 can't work out for NFL teams... yet.  Players becoming FA'S in Feb, no problem.  But Evans is not eligible at the present time.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »

To be in the situation to decide between Evans starting or backing up, they have to consciously decide to bring back Masoli.  A conscious decision to pass over Evans, who has more than proven himself...  If they sign Masoli to a starters wage, they are saying to Evans, "We have you under contract at ELC money, even though you could start in the league, so shut up and take it".  Like Toronto did with Wilder, and BC with Jennings, except in both those cases, i don't think they showed as much as Evans has.

Not sure if it is resolved yet, but players under contract for 202 can't work out for NFL teams... yet.  Players becoming FA'S in Feb, no problem.  But Evans is not eligible at the present time.

The window will be in place sooner or later. The CFLPA will make sure of that. This was a cornerstone to their acceptance of the deal, no chance that they going to go this entire offseason without their membership having that opportunity. The CFL will have to straighten this out with the NFL and once they do the NFL tryout window will be temporarily moved for this season.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:57:39 PM by GCn19 » Logged

booch

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »

you gotta get this "entry level" contract thing out of your mind..he's not making league minimum, and he actually re-upped for 3 years "after" his entry level 2018 contract...you make it seem like he is at 54k a year,
GCn19

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »

you gotta get this "entry level" contract thing out of your mind..he's not making league minimum, and he actually re-upped for 3 years "after" his entry level 2018 contract...you make it seem like he is at 54k a year,

I doubt Roh makes more than 75k per.

booch

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »

Thought it was reported he was 80 or 90k?
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »

6 CFL Players workout for Cincinnati Bengals, including Marcus Sayles and Winston Rose

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/12/bengals-3/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »

I don't think Roh up and moved his family to Wpg. and signed long-term for so little, good chance he would be starting for many other teams in the league, he's positionally sound and a good pass-rusher.   I would ball-park him at $100,000 at least.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »

Masoli is just as inexperienced in Grey Cups as Dane Evans, and imho he would not have won that game for the TiCats either. We were just a dominant team that day. Evans didn't really do anything wrong that day, his OL couldn't handle our pass rush. Masoli would have been a dead duck too.

My study looked at years-in-cfl as the indicator of making it to / winning GCs.  We'd have to do a "visits to GCs before wins" study to see if it's common/uncommon for QBs to win GCs on their first visit, and what the average # of visits before wins is.  I'm not sure it's as important as you think, but I could be wrong (look at Collaros) -- but the years-in-cfl is definitely a valid indicator and Masoli kills Evans on that front.

As for Masoli winning: I'd say the game would have been super close and required a heck of a lot more fight and risk had Masoli been playing.  Evans did two things that Masoli wouldn't:
1. Hang on to the ball too long: Evans was doing that most of the night, not satisfied to take the shorter reads.
2. Throw on the run: Evans is clearly a pocket passer, he did basically zero throwing on the run in the GC; Masoli escapes and makes things happen downfield like Flutie.

I said I didn't think Masoli would have beaten the Bombers. I said he would have played better. I don't agree Evans didn't do anything wrong. Pressure made him force the ball into coverage rather than throw it away for example or take the sack. Not being as aware of pocket pressure etc etc.

A more experienced QB doesn't make those mistakes and reads the defense better.

This

...and [Evans'] pissy attitude,lack of leadership and whining and turtling in the Grey Cup tells me he isn't ready for prime time regardless what he did last year during the regular season....he signed his deal...he has to honor it and prove he is better...

This!  He was pouting off the field, dissing his OL, and the sideline shots I saw never showed him rallying the troops when they clearly needed rallying.  I'm not too aware of Masoli's intangibles, but I'm sure he wouldn't have been yelling at his OL and throwing hissy fits.

I think Evans is the future the same way Strev is the future here (yes, I know, Evans is a far better passer).  We would like them to be the future, but we realize we aren't winning a cup next year with them as starter.  If HAM says Evans is the man and Masoli can walk, then they are doing the same thing SSK is: risking it all on the basis of one season's performance.  I think HAM is better run than that to make such a rookie mistake.

The only, only way HAM chooses Evans over Masoli is if HAM is hurting for cap space and wants to spend more on other areas.  Yes, they could save massive wads by going full-Rider and running with just Evans, and you can buy a lot of hot FA talent with that wad.  But is the risk worth it?  If I'm the GM, I'm not choosing the no-Masoli option!  YMMV.

I'd love to hear catfan's take on Evans vs Masoli and his prediction.  He should know his team better than all of us combined.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »

With all due respect your studies don't mean crap. Every situation has it's own variables and therefore cannot be directly compared. Experience does count for sure, how much it counts is highly variable and unique to each player. Some guys can come in and take the league some storm, some take years of grooming.

Evans played extremely good football and led his team to an outstanding 15-3 record last year. That is just straight up fact. Did he have a poor Grey Cup game....sure did. However, a lot of that was us forcing him to have a poor game as well. Evans has demonstrated he is a starting calibre QB in this league by any metric. Does he need to learn how to win the big one...sure...just as Nichols, Masoli, Harris, Fajardo, and Adams have to learn how to win the big one. People trying to discredit his success because he was a first year starter is pathetic. It should actually be the opposite that people should be wondering, after a very good season, just how high this guy's upside really is. Hamilton would be monumentally stupid to not give him the rock and let him continue his climb by parking him on the bench for 1-2 more years. He has clearly demonstrated he can play at a very high level and the experience he has gained from this year's GC will help him immensely in preparation for the future.

Blue In BC

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:59 PM »

With all due respect your studies don't mean crap. Every situation has it's own variables and therefore cannot be directly compared. Experience does count for sure, how much it counts is highly variable and unique to each player. Some guys can come in and take the league some storm, some take years of grooming.

Evans played extremely good football and led his team to an outstanding 15-3 record last year. That is just straight up fact. Did he have a poor Grey Cup game....sure did. However, a lot of that was us forcing him to have a poor game as well. Evans has demonstrated he is a starting calibre QB in this league by any metric. Does he need to learn how to win the big one...sure...just as Nichols, Masoli, Harris, Fajardo, and Adams have to learn how to win the big one. People trying to discredit his success because he was a first year starter is pathetic. It should actually be the opposite that people should be wondering, after a very good season, just how high this guy's upside really is. Hamilton would be monumentally stupid to not give him the rock and let him continue his climb by parking him on the bench for 1-2 more years. He has clearly demonstrated he can play at a very high level and the experience he has gained from this year's GC will help him immensely in preparation for the future.

Two words. Jonathan Jennings.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

Here's 11 words for you.  Ricky Ray, Trevor Harris, Mike Reilly, Bo Levi Mitchell, Zach Collaros.   

All guys who took their first opportunity to start a chunk of games and never looked back. 

grab grass 'n growl
Pigskin

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »

There is two sides to every coin. Jonathan Jennings not very good, Bo on the other hand took over for an injured Drew Tate and KG, and has never looked back.
Pigskin

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »

We could also add KG to that list.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: