Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2020, 02:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 CFL Schedule  (Read 5317 times)
Ladybug

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »

The league has a total of 13 Thursday night games.
The Bombers have 3 of those as home games, so definitely a disproportionate share.

One reason could be that a game in Winnipeg strikes a good balance between the local start time and tv kickoff times across the country.
This would be more of consideration on Thursdays.
blue_or_die

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »

The league has a total of 13 Thursday night games.
The Bombers have 3 of those as home games, so definitely a disproportionate share.

One reason could be that a game in Winnipeg strikes a good balance between the local start time and tv kickoff times across the country.
This would be more of consideration on Thursdays.

Yes, time zone plays a role I'm sure. Fridays they want to do doubleheaders, and our central timezone doesn't permit us because we are neither late or early (literally central, lol).

Throw in the cabin culture and our short summers and it's a recipe for 3 Thursdays a year.

Not sure how much I like it, but I get it.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2019, 10:53:39 PM »

exactly...and in order to have games you need teams to play in them...Bombers are always going to play in some Thursday games..

TSN pays Z billz

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2019, 02:54:01 AM »

Average       25,832     26,998    

We should keep in mind that 1000-ish more attendance at, say, $60 avg admission price, is $60,000 extra in the coffers.  Figure, say, $10 avg concession spend (offsetting normal $20-$50 spenders with the $0 spenders), is $10,000 extra.  My numbers are probably conservative, but that's at least $70k per game lost revenue if it's purely a Thu/Fri thing.

Now, if it's TSN dictating we need more Thu games, and it's provable the butt revenue is smaller on Thu, shouldn't TSN kick the WFC a larger share of the $$ pie?

Personally, Thu games are fine with me!  I like all games the same, except early afternoon games: hard on my schedule!  But WFC should do what makes them the most money.  I guarantee you the bean counters there have figured out all the numbers, in nice little charts, etc.  Too bad we don't get to see those...

Never go full Rider!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »

We should keep in mind that 1000-ish more attendance at, say, $60 avg admission price, is $60,000 extra in the coffers.  Figure, say, $10 avg concession spend (offsetting normal $20-$50 spenders with the $0 spenders), is $10,000 extra.  My numbers are probably conservative, but that's at least $70k per game lost revenue if it's purely a Thu/Fri thing.

Now, if it's TSN dictating we need more Thu games, and it's provable the butt revenue is smaller on Thu, shouldn't TSN kick the WFC a larger share of the $$ pie?

Personally, Thu games are fine with me!  I like all games the same, except early afternoon games: hard on my schedule!  But WFC should do what makes them the most money.  I guarantee you the bean counters there have figured out all the numbers, in nice little charts, etc.  Too bad we don't get to see those...

Good job crunching the $$$$, puts it into perspective.

The numbers are close and if you took away all Thursday games the Friday attendance would suffer slightly due to lack of variety in the schedule and some fans would step away.  It wouldn't be a big difference but I think the variety of game day schedules works well for both the fans and Tv deal.

Another factor is you need 20 or 30 years of data on attendance to really understand the fans habits.  Limited sample sets make for weaker stats.

Lets all hope we get a bump closer to 30k but that likely unrealistic.  Always nice to pack the house.  I would also love to know the actual number of people at the game because like it stated above the concession revenue is significant.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:28:15 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
GCn19

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »

Too many variables at play to make any head to head comparison in relation to fan preference really. Weather/other events/etc etc all play a role in attendance. If the Bombers can attract roughly the same amount of fans on a Thursday vs. a Friday they are doing a great job. There are some CFL markets that just can't host a Thursday home game because they would not be able to put 15k in the seats. Like it or not we are one of the league's only profitable teams. Also, our TV ratings, as well as the Riders, and Edmonton supply TSN with a big enough audience to reciprocate some value back to TSN. Us having Thursday games is good for the league, and good for the TV contract.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »

I don't so much care about the days of the week. I try to look at it mostly from a team/winning standpoint and I like what I see for the most part. I like playing Hamilton and Calgary and our away game in Edmonton early. It's a tough start but the beginning of the season is often pre-season 2.0 and all teams are closer together. Our last month of the season is vs Edmonton, vs Toronto, @BC, @Montreal which is nice. We've got two trips to Calgary afterwards but we've had success there recently and if we only need a split I am confident we can take that series.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »

I don't so much care about the days of the week. I try to look at it mostly from a team/winning standpoint and I like what I see for the most part. I like playing Hamilton and Calgary and our away game in Edmonton early. It's a tough start but the beginning of the season is often pre-season 2.0 and all teams are closer together. Our last month of the season is vs Edmonton, vs Toronto, @BC, @Montreal which is nice. We've got two trips to Calgary afterwards but we've had success there recently and if we only need a split I am confident we can take that series.
great points all around.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Donny C

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »

Is there a print friendly version of the schedule?
bluengold204

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »

Is there a print friendly version of the schedule?

https://www.bluebombers.com/schedule/

There is a a Download PDF drop down at the top that is a printer friendly version.
blue newt

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2019, 05:33:13 AM »

friggin move back then!

I would....but winter.   Cheesy  I've turned into a wuss and can't handle -40 anymore.  And my snowboard would get very lonely on the prairies.

But I appreciate every Bomber game I do get to attend!
Donny C

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2020, 06:50:40 PM »

Is there a version where it is not listed chronologically but rather like in past years with a "Home" and "Away" column?
TecnoGenius

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2020, 05:03:52 AM »

Is there a version where it is not listed chronologically but rather like in past years with a "Home" and "Away" column?

Ya, the separate-column fridge magnet thingy for STH in '19 was great for our family -- just had it on the fridge and my son would check it every day to see if a home game was coming up so he could bug me to take him.  I'm sure we weren't the only people reminded by the magnet!  However, it makes more sense to give them to non-STH, as the STH have already paid whether they remember to go or not!  Wink

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: