Blue Bombers Forum
July 12, 2020, 12:02:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 CFL Schedule  (Read 5483 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »

Just wanted to comment that while Thursday Bomber games are not ideal IMO, I absolutely love to watch the Thursday nighters in the summer that don't include the Bombers.

I've settled into a nice routine of getting home on a Thursday and doing all or most of my yard work for the week and coming in and cooling off with lots of cold beer and some CFL. Throw on some burgers or dogs and a helping of potato salad for a late dinner.

Can you tell I'm missing summer?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2019, 03:07:06 PM »

I wonder if the Bombers don't really like the early start to the season. This is two years in a row that they start on the road followed by a bye week before playing a home game. Perhaps they've lobbied the league to ensure that they aren't playing a home game in mid June. This year would have made much sense for them to open at home, but they aren't.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue_or_die

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2019, 05:01:30 PM »

I wonder if the Bombers don't really like the early start to the season. This is two years in a row that they start on the road followed by a bye week before playing a home game. Perhaps they've lobbied the league to ensure that they aren't playing a home game in mid June. This year would have made much sense for them to open at home, but they aren't.

It could also be that we were the victim of circumstance; i.e. maybe other teams declared their wishes such that they trumped those of the Bombers.

Hard to say when it's unclear to what degree each team has a say in the schedule and what variables trump others, etc.

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2019, 09:19:45 PM »

It could also be that we were the victim of circumstance; i.e. maybe other teams declared their wishes such that they trumped those of the Bombers.

Hard to say when it's unclear to what degree each team has a say in the schedule and what variables trump others, etc.

This is true. I do know that Calgary has long avoided home games during Stampede. I don't know if the Bombers try to avoid games during the Red River Ex.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Pigskin

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »

I am happy with the schedule. The Saturday games are later in the year and doesn't effect my weekends at the lake.
blue newt

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2019, 12:11:11 AM »

I usually have no qualms with the schedule. But....I hate that I have to wait until October to see them play!  Cry

That's almost a year before my next Bomber game....poo.  Might have to have a trip to the Peg next summer..

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2019, 12:13:52 AM »

I usually have no qualms with the schedule. But....I hate that I have to wait until October to see them play!  Cry

That's almost a year before my next Bomber game....poo.  Might have to have a trip to the Peg next summer..

friggin move back then!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2019, 01:50:18 AM »

Yikes to all the thursday home games in the summer.  Ambroise gotta go.
Thursday game are fine.  Ambroise is fine.  More love, less hate.
Thursday games....love it. Thank you CFL.
agree
Thursday games... book the Friday off[, and drive to the cottage early (albeit hungover...)
agree, minus hangover, sober 2 years
Sick of hearing the cottage excuse for Thursday night football.
I really wonder how many people that can't afford a cottage but would prefer attending a Friday night game in summer.
I would bet there are more fans in the stands for Friday night football.
fact, cottage / camping / seasonal campers / park users are a big portion of total fans
fact, numbers on Thurs/Fri are close
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:55:34 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »

I did the numbers for home games on Thursdays and Fridays before Labour Day from 2013 (first year at IGF) thru 2019. Fridays win out by about 625 people on avg, for which the significance is debatable but is notable. Also lots of variables, such as one year on a Thursday we hosted the Riders and sold out. In 2013 our only Thursday game was the first game ever at IGF which was a sellout, so that skews the numbers considerably.

In any case PJ, I think the point the anti-thursday folks are making is that they will attend the games no matter what, they're just not preferred. These are the people that don't have a second home at the lake and their weekend fun is attending Bomber games. It's easier to have your fun when you don't have to work the next day.

bluengold204

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2019, 01:41:43 PM »

In any case PJ, I think the point the anti-thursday folks are making is that they will attend the games no matter what, they're just not preferred. These are the people that don't have a second home at the lake and their weekend fun is attending Bomber games. It's easier to have your fun when you don't have to work the next day.

My thoughts exactly
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »

I did the numbers for home games on Thursdays and Fridays before Labour Day from 2013 (first year at IGF) thru 2019. Fridays win out by about 625 people on avg, for which the significance is debatable but is notable. Also lots of variables, such as one year on a Thursday we hosted the Riders and sold out. In 2013 our only Thursday game was the first game ever at IGF which was a sellout, so that skews the numbers considerably.

Thanks for doing the homework for us.  Turns out they are similar in attendance.  There you go goldy!

The during the week vs. Weekend games is debated every year.  I prefer a mix and I am pro Thursday.  The "fun" one has at the game should be a function of the entertainment value provided on the field, which is normally pretty darn good any day of the week.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:50:16 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
bomb squad

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »

Here are the numbers comparing attendance Thursdays and Fridays pre Labour day for the last 5 years. My assessment is the numbers don't support that Thursday's are the fan's preferred day. If anything, the opposite. The Club seems to feel that Thursday's are better and I'm not sure why. My guess is that is what the fan surveys are telling them. IMO they should go by what people do and not what they say.

YearGameOpp     Thurs.       Fri.      Wed.

2019  1   Edm   25,336       
         2   Tor     24,187       
         3   Ott                   25,350    
         4   Cal     25,354       
         5   BC      24,914       
2018  1   Edm   25,458       
         2   Tor                   27,116    
         3   Ham                  26,454    
         4   Ott                   27,602    
2017  1   Cal                   30,165    
         2   Tor     25,085       
         3   Mtl     25,931       
         4   Edm   30,554       
2016  1   Mtl                   26,443    
         2   Edm   24,007       
         3   Cal     24,667       
         4   Ham                               24,041
2015  1   Ham   27,279       
         2   Mtl                    25,605    
         3   BC     27,214       
         4   Tor                    27,246    
   Total Att.      309,986   215,981    
   # of games      12            8    
   Average       25,832     26,998    
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 04:36:13 PM by bomb squad » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »

Thanks for doing the homework for us.  Turns out they are similar in attendance.  There you go goldy!

The during the week vs. Weekend games is debated every year.  I prefer a mix and I am pro Thursday.  The "fun" one has at the game should be a function of the entertainment value provided on the field, which is normally pretty darn good any day of the week.

Certainly the football is the most important factor when attending a game, and believe me, if I go to work with a big head on Friday after a big Bomber win the previous night and celebrated a bit too hard, I don't mind one bit (although still arguable that it would have been that much better if the game was on the Friday instead Wink). However, the other ~30% is the game day experience. The pregame drinks and food, getting to take it all in, and sometimes having a post-game celebration that can go a little late. This last part is just better on the weekends lol.

Like I posted earlier, I am going to plan to just take off the Friday after each of the three Thursday games this year, which is something I've always wanted to do but scheduling did not previously permit. Gonna make it that much sweeter.

blue_or_die

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »

Here are the numbers comparing attendance Thursdays and Fridays pre Labour day for the last 5 years. My assessment is the numbers don't support that Thursday's are the fan's preferred day. If anything, the opposite. The Club seems to feel that Thursday's are better and I'm not sure why. My guess is that is what the fan surveys are telling them. IMO they should go by what people do and not what they say.

While fan preference plays a role, it's mostly TV-driven. TSN wants Thursday games.

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »

While fan preference plays a role, it's mostly TV-driven. TSN wants Thursday games.

exactly...and in order to have games you need teams to play in them...Bombers are always going to play in some Thursday games..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: