Blue Bombers Forum
August 08, 2020, 04:41:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lapo is the new head coach of the Redblacks  (Read 7063 times)
Jesse

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:06 PM »

Disagree. Certainly if we lowball him while another team is offering fair dollar value then he would leave, but if everyone is offering fair market value for a very good backup and it's a difference of a few bucks, he stays here.

Maybe depends on Buck (or other new OC) a little bit?

Are we planning to continue the two-headed QB system? Do they see Strev as a starter or simply a gimmick?

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 05:19:52 PM »

Maybe depends on Buck (or other new OC) a little bit?

Are we planning to continue the two-headed QB system? Do they see Strev as a starter or simply a gimmick?

I have made up my mind that next year it's Nichols and Strev, with Strev taking the same role as he did in the playoffs, so anything else happening would be shocking to me.

Good point though that the only way they may move on from Strev is if they never see him being a QB1 and need to use the new 2-rostered-QB thingy to have a more legit prospect on the DC.

On the other hand, Streveler sells tickets.

...no, I mean I could literally see him on Higgins in his fur coat and no shirt peddling Bomber tickets.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »

Pretty sure Streveler is viewd as a potential future starter..he has gimmick plays, and has ran the basic offence too..invaluable reps for a back-up and for developing a QB

How many times in the CFL do you see a back-up get zero reps...for the whole season pretty much..too often

BigBomberFan

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »

Congrats to Paul--that's great that he's got another chance at being HC.

There's some excellent points in here that people have mentioned, so I'm more reiterating them here. Ottawa will definitely need a rebuild, because without a QB for the first time this past year, we've seen what Burris and Harris had added to the mix in terms of success. In regards to which players or staff that we will lose, the reality is that without a legitimate QB in Ottawa, I'm thinking that it will be more difficult to attract better players there anyways, so LaPolice has his work cut out for him.

O'Shea staying or going has a big effect on that, too, because if players feel that the culture has changed and is unstable, they may be more likely to leave. Other teams obviously want to pilfer the Cup winning team, so we're now seeing the opposite end of things.....what happens when you're trying to keep that dynasty together.

A guy like Streveler, I think, as some have mentioned, unless he's offered ridiculous can't-turn-it-down money elsewhere and/ or is ridiculously lowballed here, I can't see him leaving. He wants to be a part of a winning culture, and I'd think that he's smart enough to realize that more money and a starting job elsewhere is likely going to be in a place where it's a mess and not really worth it in the end. I could be wrong on that, but really, the places that would be interested in him (Ottawa, Toronto) wouldn't be the best place for any sane QB to go right now until the status quo changes there.

I really get the feeling that Buck will get the promotion to OC here (pending that he is interested). He's one of those Blue and Gold lifers that has earned and worked his way up here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:04:04 PM by BigBomberFan » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »

3 years of HC salary = financial security.

Isn't that what Claybrooks thought??  Now, not so much.

Just like players, the contract doesn't mean you can't fire their underperforming butt if you need a fall guy.

Management won't let [Strev] walk...as they know it would pissss off the fanbase more than anything and there is too much downside to letting a guy you have been grooming walk..where there is so much upside

You keep Strev as it sells tickets to the ladies.  After going to the GC game and the GC parade and talking with ladies from all over Canada, I can tell you they all love Strev.  And when I talk to my non-football guy buddies here in Winnipeg who watched the game, all they can talk about is Strev, the insane guy who screams a lot with 5 broken bones who takes off sprinting on the very next play.  Everyone just loves Strev.  No way you let him walk.

... unless a team wants to make him the #1, but that would be a massive gamble, and I don't see that happening with the surplus of viable QBs in Canada right now.

Never go full Rider!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2019, 04:38:50 AM »

I honestly think Collaros is the better QB but Nichols should.not let go unless he wants to leave. I can see Collaros, Masoli, or Arbuckle in Ottawa next season though. There is no way Ottawa will stay put and not sign a legit starter.
TBURGESS

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »

HC salaries are guaranteed. Claybrooks is still getting paid. If he takes a DC job somewhere, he'll get paid from that team and the difference between his HC salary and his DC salary will be paid by BC.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
GCn19

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »

Just like players, the contract doesn't mean you can't fire their underperforming butt if you need a fall guy.

You keep Strev as it sells tickets to the ladies.  After going to the GC game and the GC parade and talking with ladies from all over Canada, I can tell you they all love Strev.  And when I talk to my non-football guy buddies here in Winnipeg who watched the game, all they can talk about is Strev, the insane guy who screams a lot with 5 broken bones who takes off sprinting on the very next play.  Everyone just loves Strev.  No way you let him walk.

... unless a team wants to make him the #1, but that would be a massive gamble, and I don't see that happening with the surplus of viable QBs in Canada right now.

Sure you could fire Lapo tomorrow, however, if that happened he would be snapped up as an OC in 1.5 minutes and be making full HC salary for the next 3 years. In fact, Lapo may not shed too many tears if that happened.  Pretty sure that DC isn't stressing right now either. He could sit back for the next 3 years on a beach and make full HCing salary doing it. Times is hard...times is hard.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 02:31:04 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »

Wow.. Dyce back on specials, Bob Wylie as OLine coach... this might make signing Bryant and Hardrick a little harder...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »

Wow.. Dyce back on specials, Bob Wylie as OLine coach... this might make signing Bryant and Hardrick a little harder...
Doubt it...what bearing on anything would that have?
sur they liked him as a coach...but they do with Boudreau too...and they love the Winnipeg experience even more
Pigskin

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »

I agree, he has been gone for 3 years.
theaardvark

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

I agree, he has been gone for 3 years.

Yes, but was here when they came... not saying he was the reason they came here, but they left other teams to join WPG with him in charge of the Oline...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:21 PM »

And Hardrick only played under him for one season....no draw there
Jesse

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »

This is a big ol' "meh", aards.

The OL coach is not going to be a draw for free agents.

Salary, guaranteed money, chances at a play-off bonus.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
16h
Redblacks hire former CFLer Alex Suber as receivers coach: The Ottawa Redblacks have hired Alex Suber as the their receivers coach. The Florida native arrives in Ottawa with coaching experience on both sides of the ball after a? https://3downnation.com/2019/12/20/redblacks-hire-former-cfler-alex-suber-as-receivers-coach/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter via @3DownNation

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: