Blue Bombers Forum
August 08, 2020, 04:48:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lapo is the new head coach of the Redblacks  (Read 7064 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: December 07, 2019, 09:55:25 PM »

According to Dave Naylor Paul LaPolice to be introduced as the the new head coach of the @REDBLACKS #CFL #Redblacks
trapper

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:01:06 PM »

Congratulations to him.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »

Aaaah shucks.

In coming one Buck Pearce. It is his time to be promoted.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
bustamente

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:05:48 PM »

Good for Lapo, he has a big job ahead of him, wonder if anyone from here goes with him?, is Bob Dyce still there?.
bwiser

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:16:23 PM »

It will be interesting to see if any free agents follow him there. I could see one or more of our QB's going there.There are a number of O lineman that would likely step right into the starting lineup as well.
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:19:18 PM »

Or if Buck follows him to Ottawa to be the OC there.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:21:26 PM »

I cannot see Buck leaving if he gets the OC job here.

New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »

I cannot see Buck leaving if he gets the OC job here.

Id like to see what Buck can do as OC.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
lenny

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »

Won't do anything without a QB. They will likely make a big play for Masoli.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 10:43:39 PM »

Won't do anything without a QB. They will likely make a big play for Masoli.
nah Arbuckle

blue girl

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »

Congratulations to LaPo. Now I hope that he doesn't take Buck with him. I wonder though if he'll be able to make the player decisions? After all Desjardins let Trevor Harris, Greg Ellingson, SirVincent Rogers and William Powell all get away in free agency. If he does decide the QB though does he take Nichols?
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 11:15:56 PM »

Good chance Nichols listens to offers from the red blacks
Exercise In Futility

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »

Good chance Nichols listens to offers from the red blacks

I wonder if Nichols really is a Lapo type QB. The playbook looked a bit different when Colaros was behind center.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 12:01:50 AM »

I wonder if Nichols really is a Lapo type QB. The playbook looked a bit different when Colaros was behind center.
true Lapo may not want Nichols. Strevy, hmmmm?

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 12:12:48 AM »

Good luck to him....he inherited a bit of a tire fire but in the CFL you can rebuild fairly quickly!   I'm wondering if we promote from within (Buck) or get on board the coaches carousel?   Does anyone have insider information on how Buck might make the transition to OC?

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
bwiser

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »

Good luck to him....he inherited a bit of a tire fire but in the CFL you can rebuild fairly quickly!   I'm wondering if we promote from within (Buck) or get on board the coaches carousel?   Does anyone have insider information on how Buck might make the transition to OC?
Buck worked closely with LaPolice so I would think the Bombers would want that kind of continuity so the offense doesn't have to learn a whole new playbook.
Jesse

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »

Collaros said he had input. They probably changed things up a bit so he could be more successful.

My wife is amazing!
Blue72

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 01:03:39 AM »

Would Buck be in charge of the receivers and also be a OC? Big step from being just a QB coach.

Now we just have to get something from MOS as TO can still talk him into being there HC which would leave us with NO one. Plus most of our defensive coaches are friends of MOS also.

So as of now we don't have a OC and also a receivers coach so far. The grey cup is over now and teams are starting there pick for coaches now especially Ottawa and Edmonton and maybe BC. Lets hope we don't wait to long Mr. Walters.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 01:23:06 AM »

Congrats to one of the best in the business.  Wasn't a huge fan earlier in his career but he has developed nicely.  We were very lucky to have him for as long as he did.  Lets hope his legacy lives on with the current players and coaching staff.  Happy for Ottawa.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
RebusRankin

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 02:21:49 AM »

Good luck to him. Tough situation though as Ottawa lacks talent and Desjardens seems to be a jerk.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 02:38:25 AM »

Dunk is reporting a 3 year deal for Lapo
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »

Good luck to him. Tough situation though as Ottawa lacks talent and Desjardens seems to be a jerk.
Yep Edmonton is a far better situation. The Campbell reaction was not a Great endorsement for the GM.

Hope Lapo knows what he is doing. This is likely his last shot should he fail again.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 04:26:26 AM »

Very sad to see Lapo go.  I really liked our group of guys, as KW/MOS had assembled a good crew over the years, with tweaks here and there.  But GC wins tend to have a way of sucking away guys you want to keep.

On the flipside, really happy for Lapo: he gets to live the dream again.  I guess the money bump was massive enough to be an offer he couldn't refuse.  And it's nice he's not in the West so we don't have to hate him as much if he starts winning and beating our butts.

You guys are right: now the scary situation is who does he take with him.  However, I think this solves everyone's QB problem with Lapo taking Collaros while we keep Nichols.  (Or the other way around; but I doubt it.)

This is where the "MOS locker room" effect really will help us!  The guys like Lapo, but they run through walls for MOS.  If we want a player, he'll stay with MOS, not run away with Lapo.  Lapo might take our discards though.  And I can't see Buck leaving, or hopefully our OL coach.

No matter what happens, it's going to be a tough rebuild year for Lapo and OTT.  It'll be fun to watch!

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 04:54:39 AM »

Please Lord, don't have us hire McAdoo!!  Getting Buck in there as OC seems the best choice, and we can reduce our OC salary quite a ton doing that (as a 1st year OC).  And please no Chapedelaine either!!

Now I think the pressure is on to keep Hall.  After slowly building to the championship team/coaches we have, you don't want to tip the boat with too many changes.

Never go full Rider!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 05:32:10 AM »

Just an uneducated point of view but I believe Buck has earned his dues and should be our next OC.  He is familiar with the system and Coach O'Shea.  He is offence oriented and a leader. By all accounts he is a Blue Bomber and a Winnipeg-er.  I'm hoping Buck Pierce is our man going forward and the new OC.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 06:37:12 AM »

Would Buck be in charge of the receivers and also be a OC? Big step from being just a QB coach.

Now we just have to get something from MOS as TO can still talk him into being there HC which would leave us with NO one. Plus most of our defensive coaches are friends of MOS also.

So as of now we don't have a OC and also a receivers coach so far. The grey cup is over now and teams are starting there pick for coaches now especially Ottawa and Edmonton and maybe BC. Lets hope we don't wait to long Mr. Walters.

The Argos haven't fired Chamblin yet....although realistically they could be waiting until one week before TC opens to can his *** and accept applications for his replacement.
Rouge2019

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 07:11:54 AM »

I have mixed emotions about this.  First, congratulations to Lapo.  He is a decent guy and I wish him and his family all the best. 

However, he kind of lost me along the way in his first HC stint and with some of the "play not to lose" play calling in the latest stint as OC, where we would lose games because the offence took its foot off of the gas and went away from what was working.  Too many second half 2 and outs with a run into the middle of the line and followed by an unsuccessful deep shot. 

I think that Buck can and would do a good job as OC, and this may be an opportunity to open up the offence a bit more.  However, we still need to re-sign the Head Coach and an experienced quarterback first  Wink
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 07:55:17 AM »

Would be interesting to see who Ottawa goes after to be their QB.  There is plenty of options out there.  Masoli, Arbuckle, Nichols, Streveler, Collaros, etc...  LaPolice will fix the Ottawa offence and they will be a powerhouse again.  Does Pierce get a promotion...  I would think so.  He deserves it.  Is he up to the task?  You won't know unless you try.  I think he should be okay if we can keep at least one veteran QB in Nichols or Collaros.
In Motion

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »

I've always loved Buck Pierce and think he deserves a shot at OC. The only reservation I have is...
is he a fast enough thinker and talker? Those play choices have to be made and delivered in seconds.
I'm not questioning his intelligence/football IQ one bit... just the speed of his calls and communicating them quickly.

This interview was some time ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VveQ0qOJnLU

His recent interviews are much more up to speed.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:18:12 AM by In Motion » Logged
gobombersgo

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »

I think they would hire a receivers coach and hopefully a QB coach. Maybe a rookie QB coach that could take away some of Buck's current responsibilities so he can focus most of his time being the OC.

gobombersgo

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »

I've always loved Buck Pierce and think he deserves a shot at OC. The only reservation I have is...
is he a fast enough thinker and talker? Those play choices have to be made and delivered in seconds.
I'm not questioning his intelligence/football IQ one bit... just the speed of his calls and communicating them quickly.

This interview was some time ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VveQ0qOJnLU

His recent interviews are much more up to speed.

I get your concern, but he had to think and communicate quickly when he was a college and pro quarterback. He seemed to do ok under center with a 20 second clock.

bigbuff33

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »

I think the Bombers have been grooming Buck for when LaPo got another head coaching job.
Continuity is big...

Now when it comes to QB's...wow...that is going to be interesting.
TBURGESS

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »

Congrats to PLAP. Hopefully he's a better HC the second time around.

Buck will likely be the new OC. Because he's never done the job before, we don't know if he can or not. Watching someone else do the job is very different than doing it yourself. I'd rather move on with a vet OC who has a different offensive strategy than a PLAP disciple who will keep things mostly the same.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
bluebeard

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2019, 02:20:40 PM »

No doubt that this is a big loss.  I loved the way LaPo set up the big play.  He was a great chess player...thinking of moves a couple of plays a head.  Buck deserves a chance to fill his shoes but first we need to get O'Sh signed.  Wonder if Hall will move?  Very interesting off season a head...as I have said before.  Congrats to Paul.
Ducky

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »

Congrats to LaPo for sure.  Will be interesting to watch which BB free agents follow him to Ottawa.  Got to think Lapo would love to bring a known Qb (Nichols) and OL (Hardrick? Bryant?) and possibly a familiar receiver (Adams).

It is the crazy season in the CFL with every team having 10 or more starters without contracts.
Blue In BC

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2019, 02:46:14 PM »

Congrats to Lapo. He earned another shot at HC. I wonder which of our potential free agents might choose to follow him? We have a substantial list of offensive players including QB's that he will be interested in.

No more excuses.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »

Just saw the announcement confirmed on TSN - Congratulations to Lapo and all the best. Thanks for your efforts here in the Peg and wishing you the best in Ottawa.
Pigskin

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »

Good for Lapo. Let's see what he has picked up over the last 7 years and see if he does better this time around. He has a big mess to clean up in Ottawa.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »

Good for Lapo. Let's see what he has picked up over the last 7 years and see if he does better this time around. He has a big mess to clean up in Ottawa.
kinda similar to what he walked into when he came here as HC with Mr. Mack in charge

dd

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »

It?s a mess in Ottawa for sure. They need to replace the talent lost when Harris and Ellingson left but more than that there was a reason both of those guys left?there was a disfunctional locker room and a riff between harris and those in the redblack locker room. Ellingson left with harris and then so did coach Campbell, so that tells me the problem wasn?t harris or Campbell and the problem is still there. Lapo couldn?t fix things for us years ago, it took MOS to change the culture in our locker room. It will take a strong leader to do this, not sure Lapo s that guy but wish him all the best just the same.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »

kinda similar to what he walked into when he came here as HC with Mr. Mack in charge
Well he got us to one GC in his relatively short tenure as a HC.    I think he will do well!

blue girl

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2019, 09:31:29 PM »

LaPo can only take players that become free agents. If the Bombers want to retain players they might be interested in sign them before that.
DM83

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2019, 10:06:39 PM »

I bet the GM is the problem.  I don't understand how you would not sign the nucleus of the team, and then play the season with a bunch of arena League grads.  Two QBs Who everyone Knew were done.

It's like they had a death wish!
dd

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 12:03:35 AM »

I bet the GM is the problem.  I don't understand how you would not sign the nucleus of the team, and then play the season with a bunch of arena League grads.  Two QBs Who everyone Knew were done.

It's like they had a death wish!
No it was a locker from issue. I remember one of their linebackers(can?t recall the slugs name) saying that harris was a selfish player, and only did what was good for him blah blah blah, so rather than stand by harris and refute this claim, they let it stand and he left with Ellingson in tow. If they though Jennings or davis could replace harris, they are dumber than they we know. Then Campbell resigns. I don?t know what free agent would want to enter into that type of clubhouse.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 01:35:32 AM »

No it was a locker from issue. I remember one of their linebackers(can?t recall the slugs name) saying that harris was a selfish player, and only did what was good for him blah blah blah, so rather than stand by harris and refute this claim, they let it stand and he left with Ellingson in tow. If they though Jennings or davis could replace harris, they are dumber than they we know. Then Campbell resigns. I don?t know what free agent would want to enter into that type of clubhouse.

Lol 

Pigskin

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 04:33:53 AM »

Wasn't his record in Winnipeg 16-28?
Cool Spot

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 05:36:31 AM »

Wasn't his record in Winnipeg 16-28?

In 2010, his first year as head coach, the Bombers starting QB (Buck Pierce) got hurt early in the season and the Bombers relied on their backup the rest of the way. It was a bad season, finishing at 4-14. "However", a lot of their losses were close, suggesting they were only a few adjustments away from respectability.

In 2011, his second year, the Bombers finished 10-8, first in the east, but lost the Grey Cup to the BC Lions. This was the year of Swaggerville defense. The Bombers started the year much stronger than they finished, though.

In 2012, the Bombers stumbled out of the gate to a 2-6 record, at which point Paul LaPolice was let go from his duties. The Bombers went 4-6 the rest of the way to finish the season 6-12.

Altogether, his regular season regular was 16-28, as you stated.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 05:58:04 AM »

All in all, he was not a great HC.  Lots of rookie mistakes with time management.  He is a much better OC. 
1chad

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »

All in all, he was not a great HC.  Lots of rookie mistakes with time management.  He is a much better OC. 

He had Joe Mack as a GM.  That alone should give him a pass.

Hope he does well in Ottawa, He could easily go after Arbuckle for his new QB and Dinwiddie for OC. 
blue_or_die

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »

I think many are overstating the driving force Lapo will have on players following him. If it was O'Shea leaving, I could see there being a case for it, but while Lapo is a great coach, he was an OC to our guys at the end of the day.

The only way I can see it being a problem for us is if Lapo offers some of our backups a starting role or something like that. If that's the case, I can stand losing a few backups. But given the choice between going to a tire fire or sticking around with the same organization that just won you a ring, you've gotta think the choice wouldn't be too hard.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »

Players will follow the $$.  Don't blame them one bit - no guarantees contracts, violent sport...get the most you can...coaches and environment play a role in signing FA's and extensions but for some $$ is king. 

I think Free Agent Frenzy will be fun to watch again...QB can make or break your team and there will be some changes unless Hamilton, Calgary and Winnipeg re-sign Masoli, Arbuckle and Nichols - then the pickings get slimmer and someone will be left with duds/scraps...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »

His record was comparable to MOS in the first two years....and in his second year he had an Eastern final win and an appearance in the GC!   Now that MOS has brought us to the promised land, after 6 years we seem to forget all his mistakes made as a rookie and an experienced coach.

Will he be as good a HC as MOS?   LaPo will have benefitted working for MOS and I'm sure he has learned from his past mistakes.   Only time will tell if he succeeds however I'm thinking he will do well given enough time, and he did sign a 3 year contract for what it's worth.

The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2019, 03:38:26 PM »

I think Lapo can be a fine HC...like always the talent the coaches have will play a big part in the success or failure...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2019, 03:49:39 PM »

I think Lapo can be a fine HC...like always the talent the coaches have will play a big part in the success or failure...

I'm sure he's learned a lot from Mike O'Shea. There's a lot more to being a great head coach than X's and O's. That is LaPo's strength but maybe he can let some of that go and focus on the big picture. Last time around, there was always that tug of war between him calling plays and being a HC and OC in one. Hopefully he's learned from that. It will be interesting to see what he does.
the paw

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »

I'm sure he's learned a lot from Mike O'Shea. There's a lot more to being a great head coach than X's and O's. That is LaPo's strength but maybe he can let some of that go and focus on the big picture. Last time around, there was always that tug of war between him calling plays and being a HC and OC in one. Hopefully he's learned from that. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Lapo is more mature, and he is very smart.  The fact that he used a year of his sabbatical doing a professional development tour in the US speaks to the fact he just didn't stand still.    The fact that he didn't throw an Elizondo hissy fit when he couldn't interview for the Riders speaks to his integrity and judgement.

I think Lapo's coaching last time was better than the record showed, and I think he will be even better this time.  Just so long as he gets an actual QB, and maybe a real receiver to replace Caleb Holley, then Ottawa will be competitive next year. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »

Like most members here, I was hopeful we could get the whole gang back together for another cup run.  He was probably the most qualified for the OTT and EDM positions, just hoped that he'd fall through the cracks.  3 year deal in a SMS is good news for Lapo, means he has job security, probably a huge thing in his considerations.  If you are going to uproot your family, it had better be for at least 3 years...

MOS and Hall still are not under contract, removing Lapo's salary will make signing MOS easier (I hope), Buck (or whoever we hire) will be cheaper, for sure. 

Maas was an upgrade on McAdoo in SSK, not sure if McAdoo is a consideration for our OC spot if Buck follows Lapo.  He made Fajardo look decent last year... 

We need to get MOS signed to a deal asap. so that the rest of the pieces fall into place.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »

I saw a tweet this morning that there are rumblings out of Toronto that Pinball may be reassessing his coaching staff. The Bombers need to lock in MOS right now and not open the door to him taking on the Toronto job. I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Buck as OC will cost less than LaPo as OC did. Those savings can easily sweeten the pot for MOS. Have to get that done as our safety valve replacement is now gone.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
booch

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »

Well if it got late in the off-season...and Osh walked...And candidates were all snapped up..I'd go with Hall to be honest..players loved him to no end like Harris was..he relates a lot better to the American players and has huge respect...Even if Lapo wasn't hired a way and we lost Oshea...I would hope we gave the job to Hall.

Not to say Lapo doesn't garner respect, or relate to players, just Hall would be the better choice and is a bit better with those intangibles
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2019, 05:22:46 PM »

I saw a tweet this morning that there are rumblings out of Toronto that Pinball may be reassessing his coaching staff. The Bombers need to lock in MOS right now and not open the door to him taking on the Toronto job. I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Buck as OC will cost less than LaPo as OC did. Those savings can easily sweeten the pot for MOS. Have to get that done as our safety valve replacement is now gone.
This is the fallout after winning a Grey Cup.....it would be good for the Bomber organization to sign MOS sooner than later.....Pin Ball loves MOS and the longer this drags on the more uneasy I start to feel.   Players would follow MOS wherever he ends up hanging his hat!!

theaardvark

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »

Well if it got late in the off-season...and Osh walked...And candidates were all snapped up..I'd go with Hall to be honest..players loved him to no end like Harris was..he relates a lot better to the American players and has huge respect...Even if Lapo wasn't hired a way and we lost Oshea...I would hope we gave the job to Hall.

Not to say Lapo doesn't garner respect, or relate to players, just Hall would be the better choice and is a bit better with those intangibles

I love Hall as DC, and I think it is just the right amount of work/stress for him.  Not sure he would thrive in the big chair.  And definitely would have been behind Lapo in the promotion in my books...

MOS is top priority, for sure. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jockitch

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2019, 06:01:50 PM »

Respectfully offer congrats to lapo & may his experience be a good one, except when his team plays the Bombers.
Certainly do agree with the many opinions, scenarios previously rendered & the importance of locking up MOS.

With Lapos tremendous use of Strev, I would be inclined to think that the RedBlack's GM will be highly considering Strev as a backup.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "19"
booch

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »

Respectfully offer congrats to lapo & may his experience be a good one, except when his team plays the Bombers.
Certainly do agree with the many opinions, scenarios previously rendered & the importance of locking up MOS.

With Lapos tremendous use of Strev, I would be inclined to think that the RedBlack's GM will be highly considering Strev as a backup.

So will the Bombers....and Strev will go where he's happy and sees a chance for success...and it ain't in Ottawa
kkc60

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2019, 11:17:03 PM »

So will the Bombers....and Strev will go where he's happy and sees a chance for success...and it ain't in Ottawa
Who knows.

Only name I could see going to Ottawa besides Collaros is Darvin Adam's. Had a down year but definitely has for the most part been thriving in LaPos system. Plus he and Collaros looked money in the playoffs
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2019, 12:11:19 AM »

Yep I can also Adams going there as well. I think whomever ends up with Zack will end up with injury issues at starting QB again.

I think Lapo is gonna have a hard time with Desjardins there as GM. I mean they have soooo many questions marks it isn?t even funny.

buckzumhoff

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2019, 01:32:26 AM »

Good for Lapolice. was hoping he would work another year as OC then probably get a better job. But this one will pay well. But glad he got it. Take the job while its open.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2019, 01:41:07 AM »

Lapo will do well

Players like him.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2019, 02:33:53 AM »

Good for Lapolice. was hoping he would work another year as OC then probably get a better job. But this one will pay well. But glad he got it. Take the job while its open.
Well he and his family have much better security anyways.

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2019, 05:49:34 AM »

Well he and his family have much better security anyways.

Lapolice was successful and had a future here and some security coming off a Grey Cup win.  He will now be under a great deal of pressure to be successful in Ottawa turn that team around.  Not sure that equates to security.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GCn19

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »

Who knows.

Only name I could see going to Ottawa besides Collaros is Darvin Adam's. Had a down year but definitely has for the most part been thriving in LaPos system. Plus he and Collaros looked money in the playoffs

I would think that the position group most happy to see Lapo leave would be the receivers. There is a reason we have had a hard time signing any FA receivers and it's because Lapo's system is not one that sees them getting a ton of targets.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TBURGESS

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »

Lapolice was successful and had a future here and some security coming off a Grey Cup win.  He will now be under a great deal of pressure to be successful in Ottawa turn that team around.  Not sure that equates to security.
3 years of HC salary = financial  security.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2019, 01:34:55 PM »

3 years of HC salary = financial  security.
my thoughts exactly.

bluengold204

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2019, 01:36:10 PM »

Strev will go to whichever team offers him more money
blue_or_die

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »

Strev will go to whichever team offers him more money

Disagree. Certainly if we lowball him while another team is offering fair dollar value then he would leave, but if everyone is offering fair market value for a very good backup and it's a difference of a few bucks, he stays here.

booch

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »

Disagree. Certainly if we lowball him while another team is offering fair dollar value then he would leave, but if everyone is offering fair market value for a very good backup and it's a difference of a few bucks, he stays here.

Disagree as well...Unless a team offers him obscene money to be the undisputed starter then he ain't going nowhere...he will get fair market value here, to continue building what he has been..in a stable winning environment...where he likes it...the threat of losing him is pretty much Nil...Management won't let him walk...as they know it would pissss off the fanbase more than anything and there is too much downside to letting a guy you have been grooming walk..where there is so much upside
theaardvark

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »

Not sure if we lose players to follow Lapo, there might be a couple.  Could even be some D guys... but I think we know each players vlue better than Lapo does, and if any go it will be because they were offered contracts above their value.  Adams might be a concern, Lapo has stuck with him, and might want that vet presence that knows his system to help him out.  Of all our players, I might conjecture Adams would be one of the easier ones to lose, as we have so many good Int rec's coming up...

Still under contract;

REC Rasheed Bailey (I) - 2020
REC Nic Demski (N) - 2020
REC Kenny Lawler (I) - 2020
REC Daniel Petermann (N) - 2020
REC Lucky Whitehead (I) - 2020

and only Adams and Wolitarsky as pending FA's...

Had a hard time getting Whitehead into the lineup after Bailey inserted himself...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:36:15 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Jesse

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:06 PM »

Maybe depends on Buck (or other new OC) a little bit?

Are we planning to continue the two-headed QB system? Do they see Strev as a starter or simply a gimmick?

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 05:19:52 PM »

Maybe depends on Buck (or other new OC) a little bit?

Are we planning to continue the two-headed QB system? Do they see Strev as a starter or simply a gimmick?

I have made up my mind that next year it's Nichols and Strev, with Strev taking the same role as he did in the playoffs, so anything else happening would be shocking to me.

Good point though that the only way they may move on from Strev is if they never see him being a QB1 and need to use the new 2-rostered-QB thingy to have a more legit prospect on the DC.

On the other hand, Streveler sells tickets.

...no, I mean I could literally see him on Higgins in his fur coat and no shirt peddling Bomber tickets.

booch

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »

Pretty sure Streveler is viewd as a potential future starter..he has gimmick plays, and has ran the basic offence too..invaluable reps for a back-up and for developing a QB

How many times in the CFL do you see a back-up get zero reps...for the whole season pretty much..too often

BigBomberFan

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »

Congrats to Paul--that's great that he's got another chance at being HC.

There's some excellent points in here that people have mentioned, so I'm more reiterating them here. Ottawa will definitely need a rebuild, because without a QB for the first time this past year, we've seen what Burris and Harris had added to the mix in terms of success. In regards to which players or staff that we will lose, the reality is that without a legitimate QB in Ottawa, I'm thinking that it will be more difficult to attract better players there anyways, so LaPolice has his work cut out for him.

O'Shea staying or going has a big effect on that, too, because if players feel that the culture has changed and is unstable, they may be more likely to leave. Other teams obviously want to pilfer the Cup winning team, so we're now seeing the opposite end of things.....what happens when you're trying to keep that dynasty together.

A guy like Streveler, I think, as some have mentioned, unless he's offered ridiculous can't-turn-it-down money elsewhere and/ or is ridiculously lowballed here, I can't see him leaving. He wants to be a part of a winning culture, and I'd think that he's smart enough to realize that more money and a starting job elsewhere is likely going to be in a place where it's a mess and not really worth it in the end. I could be wrong on that, but really, the places that would be interested in him (Ottawa, Toronto) wouldn't be the best place for any sane QB to go right now until the status quo changes there.

I really get the feeling that Buck will get the promotion to OC here (pending that he is interested). He's one of those Blue and Gold lifers that has earned and worked his way up here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:04:04 PM by BigBomberFan » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »

3 years of HC salary = financial security.

Isn't that what Claybrooks thought??  Now, not so much.

Just like players, the contract doesn't mean you can't fire their underperforming butt if you need a fall guy.

Management won't let [Strev] walk...as they know it would pissss off the fanbase more than anything and there is too much downside to letting a guy you have been grooming walk..where there is so much upside

You keep Strev as it sells tickets to the ladies.  After going to the GC game and the GC parade and talking with ladies from all over Canada, I can tell you they all love Strev.  And when I talk to my non-football guy buddies here in Winnipeg who watched the game, all they can talk about is Strev, the insane guy who screams a lot with 5 broken bones who takes off sprinting on the very next play.  Everyone just loves Strev.  No way you let him walk.

... unless a team wants to make him the #1, but that would be a massive gamble, and I don't see that happening with the surplus of viable QBs in Canada right now.

Never go full Rider!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2019, 04:38:50 AM »

I honestly think Collaros is the better QB but Nichols should.not let go unless he wants to leave. I can see Collaros, Masoli, or Arbuckle in Ottawa next season though. There is no way Ottawa will stay put and not sign a legit starter.
TBURGESS

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »

HC salaries are guaranteed. Claybrooks is still getting paid. If he takes a DC job somewhere, he'll get paid from that team and the difference between his HC salary and his DC salary will be paid by BC.

GCn19

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »

Just like players, the contract doesn't mean you can't fire their underperforming butt if you need a fall guy.

You keep Strev as it sells tickets to the ladies.  After going to the GC game and the GC parade and talking with ladies from all over Canada, I can tell you they all love Strev.  And when I talk to my non-football guy buddies here in Winnipeg who watched the game, all they can talk about is Strev, the insane guy who screams a lot with 5 broken bones who takes off sprinting on the very next play.  Everyone just loves Strev.  No way you let him walk.

... unless a team wants to make him the #1, but that would be a massive gamble, and I don't see that happening with the surplus of viable QBs in Canada right now.

Sure you could fire Lapo tomorrow, however, if that happened he would be snapped up as an OC in 1.5 minutes and be making full HC salary for the next 3 years. In fact, Lapo may not shed too many tears if that happened.  Pretty sure that DC isn't stressing right now either. He could sit back for the next 3 years on a beach and make full HCing salary doing it. Times is hard...times is hard.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 02:31:04 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »

Wow.. Dyce back on specials, Bob Wylie as OLine coach... this might make signing Bryant and Hardrick a little harder...

booch

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »

Wow.. Dyce back on specials, Bob Wylie as OLine coach... this might make signing Bryant and Hardrick a little harder...
Doubt it...what bearing on anything would that have?
sur they liked him as a coach...but they do with Boudreau too...and they love the Winnipeg experience even more
Pigskin

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »

I agree, he has been gone for 3 years.
theaardvark

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

I agree, he has been gone for 3 years.

Yes, but was here when they came... not saying he was the reason they came here, but they left other teams to join WPG with him in charge of the Oline...

booch

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:21 PM »

And Hardrick only played under him for one season....no draw there
Jesse

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »

This is a big ol' "meh", aards.

The OL coach is not going to be a draw for free agents.

Salary, guaranteed money, chances at a play-off bonus.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
16h
Redblacks hire former CFLer Alex Suber as receivers coach: The Ottawa Redblacks have hired Alex Suber as the their receivers coach. The Florida native arrives in Ottawa with coaching experience on both sides of the ball after a? https://3downnation.com/2019/12/20/redblacks-hire-former-cfler-alex-suber-as-receivers-coach/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter via @3DownNation

TecnoGenius

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »

Redblacks hire former CFLer Alex Suber as receivers coach

Interesting... Good ol' Suber.  Nice to see him back in a coaching role.  Lapo remembering and pinging all his old faves, eh?  He had decent hands as a DB, but getting a job now as receiver coach?  Interesting.  Good luck to him!  (Except vs WPG)

Never go full Rider!
Jesse

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »

Interesting... Good ol' Suber.  Nice to see him back in a coaching role.  Lapo remembering and pinging all his old faves, eh?  He had decent hands as a DB, but getting a job now as receiver coach?  Interesting.  Good luck to him!  (Except vs WPG)

Just one of the entry level coaching jobs.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »

LaPo must have liked what he saw. 

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
Redblacks sign quarterback Kevin Anderson: The Ottawa Redblacks have signed quarterback Kevin Anderson. Anderson was signed by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in late August following the injury to starter Matt Nichols. Winnipeg had an opening on? https://3downnation.com/2019/12/21/redblacks-sign-quarterback-kevin-anderson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter ? via @JDunk12
blue_or_die

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2019, 07:05:19 PM »

Suberman!

BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »

RedBlacks should do better under LaPo and Benevides.
In Motion

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »

I predict it will be tough slogging in Ottawa for some years to come, but Lapo deserves his HC contract.
Is anyone else surprised that Buck has not been named OC yet? Makes me think the club is exploring
all options before pulling the trigger, or Buck is not exactly jumping at the chance to snag that job.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »

Good move by Lapolice signing Benevides. If Hall doesn't re  sign here he would have been top of the list for me to have as a defensive coach.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:32:50 AM by buckzumhoff » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2019, 05:13:59 AM »

RedBlacks should do better under LaPo and Benevides.

Ottawa had Noel Thorpe and Mark Nelson on their D staff last season, they were regarded as promising HC candidates not very long ago.  Unless Campbell is taking them with him to BC their stock has certainly plummeted in the last few years.

As for Benevides I've never been overly impressed with his D's, they often seem porous, LaPo is not doing himself any favours by hiring Mike.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:46:25 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »

Mike Benevides does have a better HC record than LaPolice... 
TecnoGenius

« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »

I think Bene is a good pick for OTT.  Don't like losing him on the TSN panel though, thought he was quite good in that role.  So who's going to be the out-of-a-job HC TSN picks up for this year then, eh?

Never go full Rider!
theaardvark

« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »

I believe Buck started here a RB coach, no? 

dd

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2019, 05:47:23 PM »

Ottawa had Noel Thorpe and Mark Nelson on their D staff last season, they were regarded as promising HC candidates not very long ago.  Unless Campbell is taking them with him to BC their stock has certainly plummeted in the last few years.

As for Benevides I've never been overly impressed with his D's, they often seem porous, LaPo is not doing himself any favours by hiring Mike.
I think its a great move by Lapo. First of all, he purges the mindset that was in that locker room. They were content at being losers, and their defense was a joke this year, an absolute joke. Yes, you guys didn't have a Qb, but your D was just as bad. Both Thorpe and Nelson are highly over rated.

Benny brings 3 years of HC experience plus a ton of DC experience. Lapo is going to need both to turn this franchise around. His biggest move has yet to be made however---he needs a Qb for his offense!!!
bluebeard

« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »

Did not Nelson sign with BC as their ST coordinator??
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: