Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2019, 11:54:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: O'Shea Longevity  (Read 742 times)
blue_or_die

« on: December 02, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »

Welcome to off-season style threadz  Tongue

MOS has been our HC for 6 complete seasons, making him tied with Dave Ritchie for third longest tenure with the Bombers, behind Bud Grant (9 seasons) and Cal Murphy (8 seasons). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Winnipeg_Blue_Bombers_head_coaches

O'Shea has made the playoffs in the 4 most recent seasons, with the most recent season ending in a Grey Cup win, the first in 29 years. Although every year marks a shake up in player talent/retention and coaches moving on to bigger roles elsewhere, nonetheless, it appears we should enter next season competitively as we will likely be able to retain the guys we want (why not stay with the team with whom you're established and have won with?) as well as have an available QB bin large enough such that we can take our pick. We have a large pipeline of Canadian talent, especially at OL (a staple to be successful in this league) and the best back in the league (who is Canadian and a hometown kid, to boot).

Very good chance O'Shea signs a new 3 year contract. If he survives that, he will be tied with Bud Grant for longest coaching tenure with the Bombers. There is a new front office SMS that will discourage mid-contract firings. When you combine these factors and recent winning and good prospects for future winning, I would say there is a good chance O'Shea makes Bomber history.

In a business where you are hired only to eventually get fired, and having had a team for close to a century, this is pretty interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:53:50 PM by blue_or_die » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:46:37 PM »

I expect O'Shea will get a new 3 year deal. As far as staying competitive that's always difficult to determine.

Realistically I'd expect to retain most of the 2019 talent we wish to retain. A couple of players might be added in free agency and a couple of rookies may win depth positions. Our draft position will be a little lower this year due to our placement.

It will be a while before we know which coordinators we lose and who the new ones turn out to be.

Part of any season's success is how things work out with injuries. You can have the best coaches and talent but injuries can derail any team. It's not something that can be controlled.

There is no reason to think we won't be competitive in 2020 but that's why the games are played.

No more excuses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:16:52 PM »

Walters was always better at late round picks than first round top talent picks anyways.

OSH deserves a new 3 year security deal! Should hopefully be a no brainer for all parties involved.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »

Kind of crazy to think that he is approaching the longest tenure for a HC in Winnipeg....I hope he wants to be here for another 3 years...QB is the most important position in football and if we can ensure some quality there we should be in decent shape going forward.  Get into the playoffs and anything can happen. 

I am not convinced Lapo is going anywhere this offseason...and unless Hall retires I expect he will be back..
booch

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:28:39 PM »

Longterm success here...now..under this trio is totally sustainable if they continue to do what they do, and find ways to make it even better. The culture..professionalism...environment has now been totally changed and the bad taste/memory of pre 2014 is long gone and no players now really, current and future will even really be aware of it..they will see the consecutive play-off run..the Cup...Guys consistantly being award winners here and look at this as a place to play...the facilities and fan base as well play huge role in it

many forget that this destination in the dark ages was avoided like the plague, and guys did not want to be treated as second rate..it took Osh and his team 2 years originally to wash that stench off and when the new way was realized...well you see the results
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:15:23 PM »

Walters was always better at late round picks than first round top talent picks anyways.

His drafting across the board has been pretty good, not just late rounders.

2014: Goossen
2015: Chungh
2016: no selection (forfeited)
2017: Ekakitie
2018: no selection (traded)
2019: Desjarlais, Kongbo

Ekakitie is the only bust out of those selections. Walters' success overall is a key factor in why the team has the NAT talent and depth it has.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
DarkDays

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 06:17:12 PM »

We were all patient with this GM/Coaching team.  Then again, coming out of the Joe (I don't need no fax machine) Mack era would earn anyone an extra two years grace.

Didn't help they couldn't lure Collaros, and had to settle on Willy on their first swing at a starting QB.

But, it's funny how winning cures all ills.  What looked like coddling under-performing players during a slump turned into "loyalty, resulting in a team ready to run through brick walls for the coach and each other..."

It would make zero sense to break up the management team, just when it's long, slow build strategy is bearing fruit.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
kkc60

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »

His drafting across the board has been pretty good, not just late rounders.

2014: Goossen
2015: Chungh
2016: no selection (forfeited)
2017: Ekakitie
2018: no selection (traded)
2019: Desjarlais, Kongbo

Ekakitie is the only bust out of those selections. Walters' success overall is a key factor in why the team has the NAT talent and depth it has.
That's a tad misleading though. The 2016 pick was forfeited, yes but really it was used on Garrett Waggoner, who was definitely without a doubt a bust (out 2016 pick would have been #2)
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 07:34:09 PM »

Tribute to Mike....the entire team watched a MOS highlight reel before leaving for Calgary and commented after winning the Grey how that inspired them all.   

https://youtu.be/vodO6LpkbQQ
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:05:12 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:24:35 PM »

That's a tad misleading though. The 2016 pick was forfeited, yes but really it was used on Garrett Waggoner, who was definitely without a doubt a bust (out 2016 pick would have been #2)

****, forgot about that. We did end up snagging Couture and Loffler in that draft. Imagine snagging Singleton if we had that first rounder
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »

O'Shea coaches the right way. He builds relationships and keeps the right room with the right players. That kind of coach can have a very long shelf life. He's not a screamer. Doesn't rely on shock or stunts. All the really good coaches go about it in a similar style. In football we often think HCs need to be fired or replaced every few years. Look at the Pittsburgh Steelers. They've had three coaches since 1969 and are one of the most successful franchises in sports.
Donny C

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 08:55:25 PM »

When O'Shea came to WPG I met him in one of the local malls.

I said to him, "Congratulations on becoming the head coach. But I won't shake your hand. The last 2 head coaches in WPG who's had I shook didn't last long."
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »

What's misleading about it? My post states the pick was forfeited.

Waggoner was selected in the 2015 supplemental draft, who ultimately ended up retiring. I'm not sure how Walters was supposed to foresee that. And he wasn't necessarily a bad player; he did contribute on ST during his two year career in the CFL. Ekakitie, OTOH, was a complete bust.

I digress. Walters has done a good job drafting and his first round selections are no exception.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »

I would love to see O'Shea back--he's created a culture where players love playing for him and the team; why would he want to walk away from that? I guess you could point to Chris Jones as a case of someone that went somewhere else right after winning the Cup, but O'Shea also isn't cut from the same douchecloth as Jones is.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 03:06:04 AM »

sign him long term, one of the best in the biz

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 03:10:36 AM »

Geeez wiz guys let?s get this done tomorrow!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TheDeuce

Content-free posting since 2005!

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »

I would love to see O'Shea back--he's created a culture where players love playing for him and the team; why would he want to walk away from that? I guess you could point to Chris Jones as a case of someone that went somewhere else right after winning the Cup, but O'Shea also isn't cut from the same douchecloth as Jones is.

What about the cloth Mike Riley was cut from?  😛

m.

I went to the vet with my goldfish.
"I think it's got epilepsy" I says.
The vet takes a look & says, "It seems calm enough to me."

Stupid vet - I hadn't taken it out of the bowl yet.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: