Blue Bombers Forum
July 05, 2020, 09:29:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Sign Players to Futures Contracts - November 1, 2019  (Read 1056 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: November 01, 2019, 08:44:22 PM »

Blue Bombers Sign Players to Futures Contracts - November 1, 2019

WINNIPEG, MB., November 1, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed the following players to futures contracts beginning in 2020:

American quarterback Austin Appleby (6-5, 240, Florida)
American linebacker T.J. Neal (6-0, 230, Auburn)
American receiver Malcolm Lewis (5-10, 190, Miami)
American receiver Isaiah Harper (5-11, 170, Old Dominion)
American receiver Tyre McCants (5-11, 230, South Florida)

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »

Geezus Applebee is a mans man QB. Big butt dude!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
lenny

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »

Appleby highlights Florida Gators:

https://youtu.be/hQTPEVFghW8
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »

Is this something new? Players that were briefly on the extended PR now with new contracts to come to TC 2020?

We usually sign half of our PR players before the next TC. I just don't remember it being done this early. Must be something in the new CBA?

No more excuses.
lenny

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:44:20 PM »

Is this something new? Players that were briefly on the extended PR now with new contracts to come to TC 2020?

We usually sign half of our PR players before the next TC. I just don't remember it being done this early. Must be something in the new CBA?

I don't think this anything different than the negotiation list. No?
Sec223

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 10:51:23 PM »

Biggest guy is the QB LOL
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 11:33:29 PM »

If you're still sitting on the PR at the end of the season it's usually not good news.  The Bombers have loaded up their 1 game to protect their assets but Rios and Walker have been left behind with a bunch of other "no-names".  The recent signings will probably get a look in the next couple of weeks and if they're worth pursuing they could be invited to rookie camp next season.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:36:51 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »

These are futures contracts. They won't get any looks this year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »

These are futures contracts. They won't get any looks this year.

We know that. The question was are these just early signings for mini camps in 2020 that might make it to TC?

I just thought this was earlier than I remember anything like this happening.
If you're still sitting on the PR at the end of the season it's usually not good news.  The Bombers have loaded up their 1 game to protect their assets but Rios and Walker have been left behind with a bunch of other "no-names".  The recent signings will probably get a look in the next couple of weeks and if they're worth pursuing they could be invited to rookie camp next season.

No they won't get any looks during the play off run. They will probably attend the 1st round of mini camps in 2020. If they do well they may be invited to TC 2020.

I agree with why they moved some PR players to the 1 game IR. However even that seems interesting. They get full pay checks for being on the 1 game IR.

Unless a team is playing a game with nothing to lose in the standings they don't shift the PR players until their season is finished.

That said I'd expect more players to be re-signed from the PR after the season. It almost always happens on every team.

Walker was released and then re-added to the PR with a week left. Not sure what the point of that was to shuffle him off and then back on.

Curious whether either of the 2 Global PR players gets invited to TC 2020 or we see new faces across the league.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:06:31 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »

We know that. The question was are these just early signings for mini camps in 2020 that might make it to TC?

I just thought this was earlier than I remember anything like this happening.
No they won't get any looks during the play off run. They will probably attend the 1st round of mini camps in 2020. If they do well they may be invited to TC 2020.

I agree with why they moved some PR players to the 1 game IR. However even that seems interesting. They get full pay checks for being on the 1 game IR.

Unless a team is playing a game with nothing to lose in the standings they don't shift the PR players until their season is finished.

That said I'd expect more players to be re-signed from the PR after the season. It almost always happens on every team.

Walker was released and then re-added to the PR with a week left. Not sure what the point of that was to shuffle him off and then back on.

Curious whether either of the 2 Global PR players gets invited to TC 2020 or we see new faces across the league.

I didn't mean see game action, just run them through a workout and let them hang around with the team for a week or two.  Anyone remember the number of players they're allowed to retain at seasons end?  Can't keep everyone so I expect there may be a few surprises.
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »

I didn't mean see game action, just run them through a workout and let them hang around with the team for a week or two.  Anyone remember the number of players they're allowed to retain at seasons end?  Can't keep everyone so I expect there may be a few surprises.

I know what you meant. I'm just saying that won't happen during a play off time frame. All coaching resources will be 100% focused on the WSF.

There is no limit of number of players you can keep during the off season as far as I know. Some teams have 20+ players on their IR lists which is not something that can be controlled. Wink, wink. Obviously some teams will park players on IR as the season ends in order to get PR players game time.

That's in order to rest vets and when teams are out of the play off race.

As TC approaches it changes to 75 players under contract I believe?

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »

I know what you meant. I'm just saying that won't happen during a play off time frame. All coaching resources will be 100% focused on the WSF.

There is no limit of number of players you can keep during the off season as far as I know. Some teams have 20+ players on their IR lists which is not something that can be controlled. Wink, wink. Obviously some teams will park players on IR as the season ends in order to get PR players game time.

That's in order to rest vets and when teams are out of the play off race.

As TC approaches it changes to 75 players under contract I believe?

I can't find any reference to roster management but I think it's far stricter than this, I believe they have to be down to 75 players shortly after the G.C. and they don't allow exemptions for injury.

Edit: 75 can't be right, they currently have 63 players on the entire roster, if 75 was the number then they would be able to keep everybody!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:04:53 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »

I can't find any reference to roster management but I think it's far stricter than this, I believe they have to be down to 75 players shortly after the G.C. and they don't allow exemptions for injury.

Edit: 75 can't be right, they currently have 63 players on the entire roster, if 75 was the number then they would be able to keep everybody!

Huh?

The Bombers have 46 on the AR, 14 on the IR and 13 on the PR = 73 at the moment.

Ottawa has 24 players on their IR at the moment with 9 on their PR = 79

I'm not sure how you could exempt players on the IR from any roster size count. I tried to look int up but couldn't find anything.

Going into TC nobody is technically on the IR at that point so they'd be part of any TC total.

Once the season is done all PR players become free agents as we know. Some will get new offers but some may not make it past next mini camps etc.

Where the futures contracts come into play I'm not sure. Some of those players weren't even on the expanded PR IIRC?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:39:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »

Huh?

The Bombers have 46 on the AR, 14 on the IR and 13 on the PR = 73 at the moment.

Ottawa has 24 players on their IR at the moment with 9 on their PR = 79

I'm not sure how you could exempt players on the IR from any roster size count. I tried to look int up but couldn't find anything.

Going into TC nobody is technically on the IR at that point so they'd be part of any TC total.

Once the season is done all PR players become free agents as we know. Some will get new offers but some may not make it past next mini camps etc.

Where the futures contracts come into play I'm not sure. Some of those players weren't even on the expanded PR IIRC?

Sorry, got interrupted in the middle of counting, plus I spent a couple of summers working in Sask. so I blame that for my faulty counting skills.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: