Blue Bombers Forum
May 30, 2020, 11:47:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards  (Read 2914 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: October 30, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards

WINNIPEG, MB., October 30, 2019 - The Canadian Football League today announced the team nominees for the 2019 Most Outstanding Player Awards, voted by members of the local chapter of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) and the league's head coaches.

Bombers defensive end Willie Jefferson has been named the team's Most Outstanding Player and was a unanimous selection as the Most Outstanding Defensive Player.

Jefferson's first season as a member of the Bombers was superb as he set a new CFL record for pass knockdowns by a defensive lineman with 16, which also leads the league heading into the final weekend of the regular season. Jefferson also had a team-best 12 sacks, six forced fumbles (also a league best), along with 24 tackles, one interception and two fumble recoveries. Jefferson was also a double nominee last year as a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Bombers fullback Mike Miller was a unanimous choice as the team's Most Outstanding Special Teams Player and was also named the Most Outstanding Canadian Player.

Miller is currently tied with teammate Kerfalla Exum? for second in the CFL with 25 special teams tackles and has moved into second place on the league?s all-time list in that category. Miller added six catches for 63 yards and one carry for 10 yards this season.

The veteran fullback issued the following statement in regard to his selection as the Bombers Most Outstanding Canadian:

"It is my honour to be named the Most Outstanding Special Teams Player for the Bombers, but I feel I must speak out in support of Andrew Harris as our team's Most Outstanding Canadian. Andrew is one of the true leaders on our team and one of the best players in the history of the Canadian Football League, and it is a shame he is not being recognized after such a sensational season. I will accept the Canadian nomination on Andrew's behalf, but do so reluctantly and while completely disagreeing with his omission."

Stanley Bryant was the unanimous choice as the Bombers' Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman, the third straight season he has been so honoured and fourth time since he signed with the club in 2015.

Bryant helped anchor an offensive line that opened holes for Harris and the league's highest-ranked rushing attack. Bryant has not missed a single game in his five years in blue and gold and is the CFL's reigning Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman after wins in both 2017 and 2018. No CFL player in the history of the award (dating back to 1974) has won the award in three successive seasons.

Receiver Kenny Lawler was named the Bombers Most Outstanding Rookie after a season in which he led the Bombers with 637 receiving yards on 43 catches, four of them for touchdowns.

The West and East Division winners will be announced next week following another round of voting, with the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Awards announced during Grey Cup week in Calgary.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GCn19

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:05:05 PM »

An absolute travesty that Harris was not selected. Time to take awards voting out of the hands of the know nothing media. JUST GARBAGE!!! Shame on you CFL media...shame on you.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:06:09 PM »

Yeah, that sucks.
rubanski

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »

Good on Miller for talking about it and sharing those words as well.
Sec223

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:11:46 PM »

I just wish the other Mr. Miller was as classy Smiley
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »

An absolute travesty that Harris was not selected. Time to take awards voting out of the hands of the know nothing media. JUST GARBAGE!!! Shame on you CFL media...shame on you.

Yeah, it's beyond sickening to see him get snubbed like that and pretty much nobody bats an eye.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Cool Spot

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »

Yeah, it's beyond sickening to see him get snubbed like that and pretty much nobody bats an eye.

I suspect that his 2-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs effectively ruled him out as a nominee this year.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »

What troubles me is the assumption he tried to get away with something, got caught and now we will make sure he pays the price.  This when Harris knows he is going to get tested, has undergone multiple tests even this year and is caught with only a trace in his system.

No benefit of the doubt. Little or no room to accept his explanation.  We are going to make sure he pays the price by not giving him a chance to win the MOP in 2019.

I kind of expected he would get some of that flack nationally but did not expect it from local media.  Of course people like Wyman will believe they are taking the high road.  Sad situation.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 07:52:17 PM »

I suspect that his 2-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs effectively ruled him out as a nominee this year.

Thanks. I had no idea.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 08:10:57 PM »

This gives us more reason to WIN THE GREY CUP !!

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
dd

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »

I can see both sides. No doubt Harris is the most outstanding canadian in the game today, no question, but he did get tagged for PED this year, so what?s the league to do, turn a blind eye?? The whole thing is unfortunate. It?s crazy that a douche like Samoni Lawrence can appeal a suspension he rightfully deserved if not more, yet harris can?t appeal a decision such as this to try and clear his name or is the cfl saying  there is no right to appeal and you don?t get the opportunity to clear your name, end of story. Crazy, mixed up world
TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »

I can see both sides. No doubt Harris is the most outstanding canadian in the game today, no question, but he did get tagged for PED this year, so what?s the league to do, turn a blind eye?? The whole thing is unfortunate. It?s crazy that a douche like Samoni Lawrence can appeal a suspension he rightfully deserved if not more, yet harris can?t appeal a decision such as this to try and clear his name or is the cfl saying  there is no right to appeal and you don?t get the opportunity to clear your name, end of story. Crazy, mixed up world
He did have a right to appeal and he did appeal. That's why they tested the second sample and it came back postive too.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
dd

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »

No, I knew he appealed the test results, I meant he had the right to appeal him being disqualified from the nomination process
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »

No, I knew he appealed the test results, I meant he had the right to appeal him being disqualified from the nomination process

He wasn't disqualified. Three sports journalists got together and decided to vote for someone else.
blue girl

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »

He wasn't disqualified. Three sports journalists got together and decided to vote for someone else.
I would like to know if these 3 journalists would have voted for Simoni Lawrence and Vernon Adams Jr. who also got suspensions but also their teams nominations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: