Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2020, 10:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A truly inspiring game  (Read 3764 times)
BigBomberFan

« on: October 26, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »

As I'd mentioned in some threads here last week, it was overdramatic for some people to be calling for blowing up the team. We all want to win, but let's be realistic here--we were close and competitive with our 2nd string QB, and gave Calgary all they could handle. This was in addition to them minimizing our run game, and completely neutralizing Willie Jefferson and our pass rush to the point that BLM had ridiculous amounts of time to make decisions for his throws.

As the TSN guys pointed out, before this year, we haven't won a season series with Calgary since 2002.

As long as we were close and competitive in this one, I'd consider that a win. And the fact that we actually did win, was massive. Considering how cheap, dirty and whiny Calgary was in this one--a spoiled bunch of brats that have come to expect wins in this league to be easy and plentiful and for other teams to roll over and die-- it made it extra special that we won at the last second, as they did so many times with us on a final drive in a game. Clock management was outstanding in this one, and we played that last 1:41 or so like it should have been played.

Calgary has probably more raw talent, but we won this with guts and sheer tenacity. Most other years, we couldn't even win against them in garbage time with their backups in. Calgary had their foot fully on the pedal, with all of their starters, and it wasn't enough to win in a year where they're actually having to play for the best advantage in the playoffs that they can get, which is a rarity for them on all fronts. If ever there felt like a playoff game at the end of our season, it was this one. And Collaros, at least for this game, is writing his own redemption/ comeback story. A week of rest will do him and the rest of the team good.

Congrats, Bombers!!!
TBURGESS

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »

We won in large part by taking advantage of Calgary mistakes.

Calgary shouldn't have tried to kick out of their end zone. Cost them a TD instead of 2 points.
Calgary missed a convert which we ran back for 2. That's 3 more points.
Calgary passed twice, both incomplete at the end of the game. 2 runs kill 40+ more seconds of clock.

We also made some great plays on our own.

The Collaros to Adams TD was a thing of beauty and the last drive for the winning FG was fantastic.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
dd

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »

The rest will be good but more importantly it gives collaros more time to get further into our playbook and work more with our receivers to get more familiar with each other. I see collaros being stronger in his game and better yet in the final. He knew he threw the ill advised pass for the pick but he hadn?t played in a year and his read was wrong. That will improve with time and repetition. Very excited about our playoff chances and it?s been a long long time since I was able to say that!!
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 02:11:53 PM »

An amazing game.

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »

Calgary shouldn't have tried to kick out of their end zone. Cost them a TD instead of 2 points.
Calgary passed twice, both incomplete at the end of the game. 2 runs kill 40+ more seconds of clock.

True. And in the previous game, Calgary had made an usual bunch of mistakes with a BLM interception. But that's also how the game goes, and for some reason, Calgary isn't quite as dominant this year. Having no real running back threat likely doesn't help, but the receivers have also had an unusual amount of drops in these past two games.

But you could also say that someone like Marcus Rios had cost us a certain amount of points in the previous game with costly drive extending plays, and it's no wonder that he's back on the practice roster.

For all the coulda woulda shoulda, we've also needed luck to beat teams--the last minute field goal by the Riders in the LDC comes to mind. For a change, we're on the other side and I'll definitely take it.

I'll also add that we're also now seeing real, true desperation out of Calgary--forcing plays to happen, and I suspect that's largely out of not having the big head and shoulders above the rest of the league lead in wins. Yeah, BLM was out for a good portion of the season, but so has our starting QB. It's nice to see them go through what the rest of us have to do to get by.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:18:57 PM by BigBomberFan » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »

The Collaros to Adams TD was a thing of beauty and the last drive for the winning FG was fantastic.

The team that makes the least mistakes usually wins. That includes turnovers, penalties and bad decisions.

Both teams made mistakes but with the game on the line, Calgary blinked so to speak and we pulled out the win.

I didn't have a good feeling when the Stamps marched downfield for a TD on the last series before half time.

Not exactly a specific mistake but an overall strategic fail for lack of a better expression.  How do we manage that in the 1st drive of the game and last drive before half time. Calgary had long field position in both instances.

No more excuses.
Tiger

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »

As I'd mentioned in some threads here last week, it was overdramatic for some people to be calling for blowing up the team. We all want to win, but let's be realistic here--we were close and competitive with our 2nd string QB, and gave Calgary all they could handle. This was in addition to them minimizing our run game, and completely neutralizing Willie Jefferson and our pass rush to the point that BLM had ridiculous amounts of time to make decisions for his throws.

As the TSN guys pointed out, before this year, we haven't won a season series with Calgary since 2002.

As long as we were close and competitive in this one, I'd consider that a win. And the fact that we actually did win, was massive. Considering how cheap, dirty and whiny Calgary was in this one--a spoiled bunch of brats that have come to expect wins in this league to be easy and plentiful and for other teams to roll over and die-- it made it extra special that we won at the last second, as they did so many times with us on a final drive in a game. Clock management was outstanding in this one, and we played that last 1:41 or so like it should have been played.

Calgary has probably more raw talent, but we won this with guts and sheer tenacity. Most other years, we couldn't even win against them in garbage time with their backups in. Calgary had their foot fully on the pedal, with all of their starters, and it wasn't enough to win in a year where they're actually having to play for the best advantage in the playoffs that they can get, which is a rarity for them on all fronts. If ever there felt like a playoff game at the end of our season, it was this one. And Collaros, at least for this game, is writing his own redemption/ comeback story. A week of rest will do him and the rest of the team good.
Congrats, Bombers!!!

Nice post. 

I agree it was inspiring.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
RicoBeBlue

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 06:02:02 PM »

Congrats, Bombers!!!

I'm not usually one for a lot of rah rah but in  this case, I am. Great post !!

The energy of the game no matter the mistakes, penalties and what have you it was a great game to watch. Can't wait and hope we have that gusto and more for the playoffs.

Maybe this is just me, but... Zack, for a player to have it all taken away from him, possibly to never play again. Traded twice in a year to make a start and inspire a team and a fan base (Canada wide) and get a dramatic win was a joy to watch.

Great game Blue and CONGRATS to Zack !
Makes me love the CFL that much more.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:05:08 PM by RicoBeBlue » Logged

Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle. : Woody Allen
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »

I was inspired after a got over losing my cane in the pisser! Bollocks!

Awesome bobblehead!

Took advantage of the $5 beer but plus taxes? Really!?!? It was actually 5.50 per beer.

Rogers beeking at the crowd was comical. Donny C razed him good!

Just a fun night at the park. Worth every penny!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 08:08:35 PM »

Time give Donny C #1 star fan of the game. 

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »

Time give Donny C #1 star fan of the game. 
HEY!  Cry

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
John T.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 08:24:52 PM »

When the Bombers got the ball back with less than two minutes to go last night, I felt like they could drive down the field and win the game, and I wasn't even all that nervous about it.

I haven't had that feeling about the Bombers since the days of Khari Jones/Milt Stegall/Charles Roberts/Mike Sellers.

I like that feeling.
Blitzer

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 08:37:25 PM »

It was an inspiring game. The Bomber defense hasn't played that well in the 2nd half of the season, but it doesn't mean they can't and it doesn't mean they won't. They may just put it all together for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised at all.
bwiser

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »

You can add a missed field goal that Grant ran back to center field
BigBomberFan

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 10:12:48 PM »

It was an inspiring game. The Bomber defense hasn't played that well in the 2nd half of the season, but it doesn't mean they can't and it doesn't mean they won't. They may just put it all together for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Some of the losses in the last 1/3 of the season were demoralizing, but in many ways, it's better to make those mistakes now and learn from them and then come on strong at the end of the season. Some of our losses were pretty close; last week, the LDC, the other game where we lost by a point (and where Medlock ironically missed the first convert that he'd missed in a long time). Collaros played it smart; ran out the clock, moved the ball smartly down the field.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: