Blue Bombers Forum
October 31, 2020, 12:26:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 45056 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #615 on: December 15, 2019, 04:46:21 AM »

1st rough pick is a lot to give up
I don't want to overpay, enough QBs that we will get a decent one

What's a rough pick?
TecnoGenius

« Reply #616 on: December 15, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »

What's a rough pick?

Ekakitie

Grin
 Cheesy
 Grin

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #617 on: December 15, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »

Fault could also be placed on our offense that didn't score more.

The game was close. We played better but that doesn't always guarantee winning. Too many folks ok with giving up 450 yards just because we win. It's a systemic problem.

I fully agree our O should have scored more.  Not just the WDF but also many games this year.  Most of the close games were lost because the O couldn't get more than a couple of 1st downs (if any) right at the end.

I'm perfectly fine with giving up 750 yards a game if we always walk away with a win!  If we had some magical D that couldn't stop beans between the 20's but never allowed a TD, I could fully live with that!  Consistency is key, though.

But enough of hypotheticals... if the D gives up 300-450 a game but limits the scoring, and our O can keep pace and win, I don't see what the big problem is.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #618 on: December 15, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »

I fully agree our O should have scored more.  Not just the WDF but also many games this year.  Most of the close games were lost because the O couldn't get more than a couple of 1st downs (if any) right at the end.

I'm perfectly fine with giving up 750 yards a game if we always walk away with a win!  If we had some magical D that couldn't stop beans between the 20's but never allowed a TD, I could fully live with that!  Consistency is key, though.

But enough of hypotheticals... if the D gives up 300-450 a game but limits the scoring, and our O can keep pace and win, I don't see what the big problem is.

If you understood field position and TOP maybe you would. How often have we seen the Bombers needing to score at the end of the game or protect the lead while starting instead our 25 yard line.

Then we complain because the opponent knows we'll run which we do and then we're punting. They start about their 40 yard line and kick a FG on the last play?

How soon you forget. Maybe you should re-watch the Argo game or the Rider games we lost.

How are we supposed to score more if we're always starting deep in our end and losing TOP?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:01:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #619 on: December 18, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »

I'm sure they will sign both . I don't think Nichols wants to move.  And  BC is paying Reilly 700 k a year plus their two backups.  winnipeg can find a way to keep the qb's  . if Streveller goes to the states then the decision will be easy .
TecnoGenius

« Reply #620 on: December 19, 2019, 03:38:32 AM »

I'm sure they will sign both . I don't think Nichols wants to move.  And  BC is paying Reilly 700 k a year plus their two backups.  winnipeg can find a way to keep the qb's  . if Streveller goes to the states then the decision will be easy .

I'm in full agreement.  Strev gone, still need a legit #2, and Collaros will never last a whole season (and some think the same about Nichols) so it's the perfect setup.  If Strev is back, gets a bit harder, but could still make it work.

The buzz out of the team (and players) in the last 2 months and especially last 3 weeks has hinted both Nichols is back and Collaros could stay.  If they weren't keen on one or the other they'd start dropping hints to get people prepared... If I had to guess which one has priority though, it's Nichols.

Does anyone know when a "deadline" would be for Ambrosie to ditch the 2-QB insanity before we're stuck with it?  One would think they should do something about it before TC...

P.S. Collaros riding in the parade truck, vs back with the boys, means nothing, because I've watched all the GC Saturday and Sunday TSN coverage and web site pressers and it's clear that Collaros had a cold/flu that weekend, and was likely just tired for the parade.  There were various shots of him on the weekend where he's hacking pretty good with a nice phlegmy sound.  That also explains why he seemed so low-energy in his interviews.  Make his GC performance even more amazing!  Thank you Zach!

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #621 on: December 19, 2019, 04:58:11 AM »

Not sure we would have the money to sign two starting QB's. And which one would be the starting QB?
TecnoGenius

« Reply #622 on: December 19, 2019, 07:05:04 AM »

Not sure we would have the money to sign two starting QB's. And which one would be the starting QB?

Very good questions!  If it happened, you could start Collaros week 1 as the GC winner and say Nichols is still getting his shoulder up to speed.  Same excuse HAM can give if they keep both Masoli/Evans.  If Collaros has a hot hand, keep playing him.  If he falters, put in Nichols and say it's because he's the #1 guy.

As for money, both guys will have to be put on an SMS diet and be high-incentives, lower salary.  But Strev would probably demand $200k+ anyhow so if he's gone, the total QB spend won't be insanely higher than normal, and surely no higher than BLM+Arbuckle in CGY (which I think will happen).  With all the good "backups" from '19, every team will have to pay up for their #2 or he'll go be #1 somewhere.

I think we may see a lot more situations where teams have a great vet #1 and a great vet #1b or legit young'n #2.  The young'n's and "injury prone" vets will have to accept it or sit on the couch waiting for a mid-season injury phone call.  I really don't see any team except SSK running with just a young'n #1 and no-name #2.  I think the 2-QB limitation and '19 injury experience will force teams to keep 2 legit QBs rather than have a noname #2.  The role/rostering of a SY QB could change also.  Young unproven dev QBs will be the ones that lose out, languishing on the PR, earning much lower $$, and never dressing: or just not hired at all.

Never go full Rider!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #623 on: December 19, 2019, 07:13:38 AM »

We had Nichols for how many years to win the cup?  And how many years have we had Collaros to win the cup?
blue_or_die

« Reply #624 on: December 19, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »

Very good questions!  If it happened, you could start Collaros week 1 as the GC winner and say Nichols is still getting his shoulder up to speed.  Same excuse HAM can give if they keep both Masoli/Evans.  If Collaros has a hot hand, keep playing him.  If he falters, put in Nichols and say it's because he's the #1 guy.

As for money, both guys will have to be put on an SMS diet and be high-incentives, lower salary.  But Strev would probably demand $200k+ anyhow so if he's gone, the total QB spend won't be insanely higher than normal, and surely no higher than BLM+Arbuckle in CGY (which I think will happen).  With all the good "backups" from '19, every team will have to pay up for their #2 or he'll go be #1 somewhere.

I think we may see a lot more situations where teams have a great vet #1 and a great vet #1b or legit young'n #2.  The young'n's and "injury prone" vets will have to accept it or sit on the couch waiting for a mid-season injury phone call.  I really don't see any team except SSK running with just a young'n #1 and no-name #2.  I think the 2-QB limitation and '19 injury experience will force teams to keep 2 legit QBs rather than have a noname #2.  The role/rostering of a SY QB could change also.  Young unproven dev QBs will be the ones that lose out, languishing on the PR, earning much lower $$, and never dressing: or just not hired at all.

Right, I'm sure both Collaros and Nichols are just dying to be paid less. That would only happen if there is no one else clamouring for their services, which I don't think will be the reality.

Teams aren't going to pony up for backups because if backup QBs can go elsewhere and start and make more money, their original teams are just going to let them do that. If Ottawa or Toronto go hard after Arbuckle as their starter, Calgary isn't going to offer Arbuckle 400k to stay and play second fiddle to BLM.

There's not enough money to go around, and everyone wants to start.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
kkc60

« Reply #625 on: December 19, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »

We had Nichols for how many years to win the cup?  And how many years have we had Collaros to win the cup?
That logic is flawed. Every team is different every year. For all we know, we were a better defense away from winning it 2 or 3 years ago. Or we were a Streveler to Harris completion away from winning last year.

Was Collaros huge for us? Sure. But we have no idea how a full year (including playoffs) of either would have panned out
Pigskin

« Reply #626 on: December 19, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »

Well it's a beautiful dream, I can never see this happening. I think Nichols and Collaros will want to be paid. Nichols isn't taking a wage roll back to play for the bombers, and Collaros just helped win us our first GC in 29 years.
bluebeard

« Reply #627 on: December 19, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »

If they don't pay Nichols a good contract, I can see him in Ottawa with Lapo.  Both know each other and what the coach wants and what the QB can do.  That is a good fit as Ottawa needs someone like Nichols as they have nothing presently at QB.  The only question remains...will Colloras  stay heathy the whole season.
booch

« Reply #628 on: December 19, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »

Maybe we get burned an Nichols heads to Ott..Collaros picks T.O..Arbuckle stays put...hmmmmmmmmm
theaardvark

« Reply #629 on: December 19, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »

Pretty sure the $700k QB is a thing of the past... Fajardo coming off a MOP type season just re-signed for a reported $450k/year, and $$$ are getting tighter now...

Not sure what teams may be willing to spend on #1 QB's now, or how many need to get #1 QB's under contract, so we will see what the market is.  Especially with the 2 QB rosters.  Jobs for QB's went from 27+ to 18+...  makes it a supply greater than demand market, a buyer's market...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
  Print  

Jump to: