Blue Bombers Forum
October 26, 2020, 06:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44441 times)
In Motion

« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »

I totally understand a CFL player trying to get an NFL contract whenever there is an opportunity.
However, the movement of players, switching from one team to another in our own league (and in the NHL and NBA too), is one of the weaknesses and sad things about modern day pro sports. It hurts CFL attendance too, I'm sure.

For the younger fans, can you imagine keeping this same Bomber team intact for 5 years or longer? That's how it was in decades past, and I certainly miss that.
In Motion

« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »

We can win another Cup with a healthy Collaros, and we can win another Cup with a healthy Nicholls.
Not sure if that Winnipeg Sun article from 2 days ago has been posted on this thread, but it sounded like
Collaros and his wife just want the best situation for his career (and Toronto ain't it!). They can always move
back east in a few years.
Blue72

« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »

Nichols still belongs to the Bombers until FA starts so why couldn't they trade him to Ottawa and get something for him if they are thinking Collaros or who ever else?
blue girl

« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »

IMO The Bombers sign either Nichols or Collaros (I don't really care which) and the one they don't sign goes to Ottawa. I just can't see either of them going to Toronto with an unproven HC.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #589 on: December 14, 2019, 12:00:45 AM »

IMO The Bombers sign either Nichols or Collaros (I don't really care which) and the one they don't sign goes to Ottawa. I just can't see either of them going to Toronto with an unproven HC.

Especially with Dinwiddie now Argo HC, likely he will go after Arbuckle.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:09:18 AM by ModAdmin » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #590 on: December 14, 2019, 01:10:12 AM »

Especially with Dinwiddie now Argo HC, likely he will go after Arbuckle.
ya but does Arbuckle even want to go there?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:09:43 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #591 on: December 14, 2019, 01:20:18 AM »

ya but does Arbuckle even want to go there?

Offer him $300,000 plus to start, that's more than the Stamps could offer him to stand on the sidelines watching Bo perform.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #592 on: December 14, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »

Offer him $300,000 plus to start, that's more than the Stamps could offer him to stand on the sidelines watching Bo perform.
How about the same thing here.Would you rather come here?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Jesse

« Reply #593 on: December 14, 2019, 02:03:47 AM »

No that Walters and O'Shea have been announced I agree we'll see a few more re-signings as early as next week. Quite possibly S. Bryant and Hardrick on offense. Nevis and Sayles on defense.

Jefferson and Rose might take a little longer for them to evaluate NFL deals.

QB's is anybodies guess when that gets resolved.

Walters said today that they have a couple more signings done that they are waiting to announce and that have officially used up their 2019 cap space.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #594 on: December 14, 2019, 02:12:09 AM »

I'm all for kidding around but could we please show respect for people's names by spelling names correctly...especially those of  current and former Blue Bombers?  Thanks.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #595 on: December 14, 2019, 05:07:36 AM »

Taylor Allen
@TaylorAllen31
11h
Mike O'Shea
said he feels QB Zach Collaros would like to return to the #Bombers. The team would lose their 1st round pick to the Argos if they sign Collaros and GM Kyle Walters said they're in a position where they could afford to lose the pick to get him signed. #wfp

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Jesse

« Reply #596 on: December 14, 2019, 05:21:15 AM »

Taylor Allen
@TaylorAllen31
11h
Mike O'Shea
said he feels QB Zach Collaros would like to return to the #Bombers. The team would lose their 1st round pick to the Argos if they sign Collaros and GM Kyle Walters said they're in a position where they could afford to lose the pick to get him signed. #wfp

Whoa.

Does this count as foreshadowing or is it too literal to count?

My wife is amazing!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #597 on: December 14, 2019, 07:49:22 AM »

So. Here's hoping R. Hall sticks to more of his last 4 games then the rest of the previous record.

It sounds a bit crazy, but Hall laying the groundwork of the iffy D mid-season helped to catch our opponents off-guard (as booch said) in the playoffs.  Hall's book is called Smoke & Mirrors.  I think not only does Hall plan smoke & mirrors per game, he plans them between games, and between months.  I guarantee it.  (So does Lapo, BTW.)

I'm not saying Hall wanted his D to suck or wanted to lose; but there's an aspect of perhaps not tipping your hand too soon.  You have to keep something in reserve.  Between those losing mid-season games and the playoffs, he certainly showed he had dry powder in reserve!!

The fact that you were wrong in the past and remain wrong today at least makes you consistent, but it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. It's not like we won the Grey Cup in spite of the defence, the defence was a big part of our victory. And it's not just one win, we had to get there first, and the journey included playoff games in which the defence had multiple goal line stands that definitely carried us. We had 39 total points scored against us in 3 playoff games.

I agree more with booch and jeremy.  It's not like you're wrong, BinBC, it's just that I'm not sure you focus on the D as much as booch (or I) do.  When you see SSK blow their zillion red-zone opportunities, you see it as their O failing.  We see it as the WPG D stepping up and stopping them.  In this particular instance, if you watch our D over and over, intently, in the WDF, you should start to see how our D was lights out on those last 2 critical SSK possessions in the red zone (and more).  Pressure, coverage(!!), hip-pockets, SY stands.  Hall had them coached up to perfection (especially the way we stopped SY in the entire post-season, often with only 6-7 defenders), and the players executed even better.

IMO that means he will want Nichols back as his 1st choice. Whether that works out falls into the wait and see aspect of free agency. As some have suggested Nichols may get a bigger offer in Ottawa and follow Lapo.

I'm not sure Nichols will get superstar offers from anywhere.  The glut of new apparent-starter talent from '19 will depress QB raises and offers.  The whole league knows Nichols as the "game manager" and he's not flashy and isn't the huge fan draw.  Just look how few fan #15 jerseys there are at IGF!  He's like the least loved winning QB in WPG history.  Now pretend you're OTT.  Your fans are pissed off, and they abandoned the home games for the last 4-5 games -- something that's never happened since Redblack inception.  If you want to fire up your fans and get those ST renewals and walk-ups, you need a flashy QB with buzz.  That's not Nichols!  If they hire Nichols, some people will think "oh no, it could be another Davis-esque year!".  They'll be wrong, but they might think it.

If I'm OTT, I'm going after whatever buzz-causing QBs I can get my hands on.  Masoli, Arbuckle, Strev, Evans.  Or you know who else would fill that job perfectly?  How about the dude who just won the GC?  Collaros to OTT would be huge buzz and an instant fan favorite.  So I think the odds Nichols goes to OTT is less than anyone thinks, as literally the only thing going for it is Lapo likes/knows Nichols.

Whereas WPG keeping Nichols costs us nothing.  Some fans will continue to mumble under their breaths, but no one is dropping their ST because it's another year of Nichols!  Even better: I don't see how Nichols asks for a big raise for 2020.

Mike O'Shea[/b] said he feels QB Zach Collaros would like to return to the #Bombers. The team would lose their 1st round pick to the Argos if they sign Collaros and GM Kyle Walters said they're in a position where they could afford to lose the pick to get him signed. #wfp

That's what some of us said weeks ago.  This year's FRDP is gravy and no one will miss it if we lose it.  Still not convinced Collaros in WPG is going to happen, but all the public chatter about it is certainly making it look more likely than it did 2 weeks ago.  I'd welcome Collaros at a reasonable price in a heartbeat! ... with a solid #2 backup!

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #598 on: December 14, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »

It sounds a bit crazy, but Hall laying the groundwork of the iffy D mid-season helped to catch our opponents off-guard (as booch said) in the playoffs.  Hall's book is called Smoke & Mirrors.  I think not only does Hall plan smoke & mirrors per game, he plans them between games, and between months.  I guarantee it.  (So does Lapo, BTW.)

I'm not saying Hall wanted his D to suck or wanted to lose; but there's an aspect of perhaps not tipping your hand too soon.  You have to keep something in reserve.  Between those losing mid-season games and the playoffs, he certainly showed he had dry powder in reserve!!

I agree more with booch and jeremy.  It's not like you're wrong, BinBC, it's just that I'm not sure you focus on the D as much as booch (or I) do.  When you see SSK blow their zillion red-zone opportunities, you see it as their O failing.  We see it as the WPG D stepping up and stopping them.  In this particular instance, if you watch our D over and over, intently, in the WDF, you should start to see how our D was lights out on those last 2 critical SSK possessions in the red zone (and more).  Pressure, coverage(!!), hip-pockets, SY stands.  Hall had them coached up to perfection (especially the way we stopped SY in the entire post-season, often with only 6-7 defenders), and the players executed even better.

I'm not sure Nichols will get superstar offers from anywhere.  The glut of new apparent-starter talent from '19 will depress QB raises and offers.  The whole league knows Nichols as the "game manager" and he's not flashy and isn't the huge fan draw.  Just look how few fan #15 jerseys there are at IGF!  He's like the least loved winning QB in WPG history.  Now pretend you're OTT.  Your fans are pissed off, and they abandoned the home games for the last 4-5 games -- something that's never happened since Redblack inception.  If you want to fire up your fans and get those ST renewals and walk-ups, you need a flashy QB with buzz.  That's not Nichols!  If they hire Nichols, some people will think "oh no, it could be another Davis-esque year!".  They'll be wrong, but they might think it.

If I'm OTT, I'm going after whatever buzz-causing QBs I can get my hands on.  Masoli, Arbuckle, Strev, Evans.  Or you know who else would fill that job perfectly?  How about the dude who just won the GC?  Collaros to OTT would be huge buzz and an instant fan favorite.  So I think the odds Nichols goes to OTT is less than anyone thinks, as literally the only thing going for it is Lapo likes/knows Nichols.

Whereas WPG keeping Nichols costs us nothing.  Some fans will continue to mumble under their breaths, but no one is dropping their ST because it's another year of Nichols!  Even better: I don't see how Nichols asks for a big raise for 2020.

That's what some of us said weeks ago.  This year's FRDP is gravy and no one will miss it if we lose it.  Still not convinced Collaros in WPG is going to happen, but all the public chatter about it is certainly making it look more likely than it did 2 weeks ago.  I'd welcome Collaros at a reasonable price in a heartbeat! ... with a solid #2 backup!

I re-watch every game at least one more time. There is some truth in the " smoke and mirrors " for every coach let alone on defense. Adjustments and new formations as the play book is adjusted season to season, game to game. It's influenced by each opponents health on game day.

I watch the defense intently. Otherwise why would I complain about where I see problems?

You can feel the defense played lights out for the WDF. Doesn't change the fact one iota that we were one play from OT. In some instances the defense stopped their offense. In some instances their offense stopped their offense.

That happens in every game. You can't paint it all hail the defense in that particular game.

Fault could also be placed on our offense that didn't score more.

The game was close. We played better but that doesn't always guarantee winning. Too many folks ok with giving up 450 yards just because we win. It's a systemic problem.

No more excuses.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #599 on: December 14, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »

Taylor Allen
@TaylorAllen31
11h
Mike O'Shea

I hope they resign him . That would be good news. Give up a first round pick that's a fair trade. we need Collaros, Keep Nichols too if we can.   Im pretty sure you can keep 3 quarterbacks on every team.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: