Blue Bombers Forum
October 31, 2020, 01:50:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 45103 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #570 on: December 13, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »

A little to much panic for December 20th, Walters has 50 something days to sign our FA's, and get ready for FA. in February. All teams will lose players just like us.
Pigskin

« Reply #571 on: December 13, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »

Now back to the topic, was Lapo's hands tied a bit with Nichols playing QB.
jeremy q public

« Reply #572 on: December 13, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »

I've called for his head since TC 2017. Looking at the broader picture not just the win.

Posters called for the head of Nichols because he didn't win the Grey Cup when he led in the play offs.

The narrow view is easy. Winning or losing is never the result of one player, one coach or even one game. On a given day, perhaps that one player or coach does one better thing than his opponent. In the long run history generally gives you a better idea of what to expect.

The fact that you were wrong in the past and remain wrong today at least makes you consistent, but it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. It's not like we won the Grey Cup in spite of the defence, the defence was a big part of our victory. And it's not just one win, we had to get there first, and the journey included playoff games in which the defence had multiple goal line stands that definitely carried us. We had 39 total points scored against us in 3 playoff games.

No, this isn't about one coach or one game. But the defence had a pretty good regular season too, and you have to evaluate the coach based on the results.
GCn19

« Reply #573 on: December 13, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »

A little to much panic for December 20th, Walters has 50 something days to sign our FA's, and get ready for FA. in February. All teams will lose players just like us.

IF we have a bunch of unused cap space due to the Nichols injury etc, I suspect we will get some dominoes to fall before the January 1st official end of the 2019 season.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #574 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »

IF we have a bunch of unused cap space due to the Nichols injury etc, I suspect we will get some dominoes to fall before the January 1st official end of the 2019 season.

Agreed. We also know that Walters probably has a few of deals done already that he will announce early in January.
Blue In BC

« Reply #575 on: December 13, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »

The fact that you were wrong in the past and remain wrong today at least makes you consistent, but it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. It's not like we won the Grey Cup in spite of the defence, the defence was a big part of our victory. And it's not just one win, we had to get there first, and the journey included playoff games in which the defence had multiple goal line stands that definitely carried us. We had 39 total points scored against us in 3 playoff games.

No, this isn't about one coach or one game. But the defence had a pretty good regular season too, and you have to evaluate the coach based on the results.

Wrong in your opinion. I've already said that defense was outstanding in the play offs. That doesn't mean they had a good 2nd half of the season. 4 - 5 win loss. Did you even bother to read everything I said?

That's indisputable. It that's your definition of a good regular season, then we have different evaluations.

Read the posts before the play off run. Based on the " season " not many felt we'd make it to the Grey Cup let alone win. Those opinions were based on the evaluation of our talent and normal systems. That included at times playing to not lose rather than win on both offense and defense. That didn't always work. Not knowing until game 18 whether Collaros would survive injury free throughout the play offs. Many factors at play.

OTOH, I said we would win based on many things which included the situations of all the teams we would face and the health of our team. I think I may have even suggested we'd win if Strev started all the games.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:57:42 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Doublezero

« Reply #576 on: December 13, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »

I think there's a good chance an NFL team signs him. He can be a Taysom Hill guy and running QBs have never been taken more seriously in the NFL than they are right now. He's certainly not at all an NFL caliber passer, but neither is Hill and some team will probably try and copy that model.
Agreed he'll likely be gone. That'll leave many fans unhappy as he is a unique QB talent. I'd like to know why Bombers didn't extend him last off-season. Did they try and he said no? Or did they just not bother? I heard one radio interview with him last off-season and he said Bombers had not approached him about any contract stuff, he still had the option year ahead. If that is true it was a big oversight as they might have been able to lock him up.

Just gimme the rock.
Blue In BC

« Reply #577 on: December 13, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »

No that Walters and O'Shea have been announced I agree we'll see a few more re-signings as early as next week. Quite possibly S. Bryant and Hardrick on offense. Nevis and Sayles on defense.

Jefferson and Rose might take a little longer for them to evaluate NFL deals.

QB's is anybodies guess when that gets resolved.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #578 on: December 13, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »

Agreed he'll likely be gone. That'll leave many fans unhappy as he is a unique QB talent. I'd like to know why Bombers didn't extend him last off-season. Did they try and he said no? Or did they just not bother? I heard one radio interview with him last off-season and he said Bombers had not approached him about any contract stuff, he still had the option year ahead. If that is true it was a big oversight as they might have been able to lock him up.

You can't always extend every 2nd year player under contract even if you want to.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:42:00 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Donny C

« Reply #579 on: December 13, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »

I'm not going to read all 39 pages, so I'll just cut to the chase...I'm only here to tell someone they are wrong (how else can this topic have 39 pages?)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #580 on: December 13, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »

test

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #581 on: December 13, 2019, 07:29:27 PM »

Fair enough comment about BLM versus Streveler. The NFL has never been kind to taking good looks at CFL QB's. Whether that's changing I don't really know.

We're seeing more of those types of QB's coming out of college so they have lots to choose from besides Streveler. He has more pro experience at the moment. He's also nursing an ankle injury so timing of workouts is not particularly in his favor.

He can choose to reach free agency which gives him more time to explore NFL opportunities.

He may get a substantial offer from Ottawa for example to be the starter.

I wish him well but I'd really like him back. That changes the dynamic on offense considerably for Winnipeg.

If he leaves than neither Nichols or Collaros might not be the right choice for us. Masoli or Arbuckle might then move closer to the top of interest?

It's a wait and see game until someone gets signed somewhere.

I disagree, losing Streveler would be difficult but I don't think it alters the Bombers plan as to who starts in any way, it simply forces them to re-evaluate the supplement that Strev. provided to their running game and eliminates his specialty packages as no other QB will be able to execute them.  I expect without Strev. they would continue on with the "next man up" mantra going with McGuire in a more traditional backup QB and short yardage role.

This is exactly the kind of adversity the Bombers can expect to face this off-season, last year it was the loss of Chungh and Goosen that had most fans in a tither, this year it could be the loss of Streveler, Jefferson, Rose or LaPo that triggers it.  Until the puck drops next season we really don't know how any of it will work out.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:32:47 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blueraid

« Reply #582 on: December 13, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »

Tired of hearing about players entertaining leaving after a Cup win...Part of winning in the CFL BUT sure doesn't do much for continuity
Blue In BC

« Reply #583 on: December 13, 2019, 08:47:52 PM »

I disagree, losing Streveler would be difficult but I don't think it alters the Bombers plan as to who starts in any way, it simply forces them to re-evaluate the supplement that Strev. provided to their running game and eliminates his specialty packages as no other QB will be able to execute them.  I expect without Strev. they would continue on with the "next man up" mantra going with McGuire in a more traditional backup QB and short yardage role.

This is exactly the kind of adversity the Bombers can expect to face this off-season, last year it was the loss of Chungh and Goosen that had most fans in a tither, this year it could be the loss of Streveler, Jefferson, Rose or LaPo that triggers it.  Until the puck drops next season we really don't know how any of it will work out.

Can't say that's an incorrect opinion. Rosters change every season and that means other decisions are made or might be made. That's all I'm saying is that may influence their choice of selecting a QB. It's not a given that they will and MOS tends to stick with who brought him to the dance.

IMO that means he will want Nichols back as his 1st choice. Whether that works out falls into the wait and see aspect of free agency. As some have suggested Nichols may get a bigger offer in Ottawa and follow Lapo.

While I don't think that happens, it's certainly possible. I sure wouldn't bet money where most of the free agent QB's end up. Just something to watch and to see how many re-sign before free agency. Otherwise day 1 and 2 will be stressful. lol

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »

Tired of hearing about players entertaining leaving after a Cup win...Part of winning in the CFL BUT sure doesn't do much for continuity

The reality is that they also leave teams every off season with free agency whether they finish 1st or last. Look at how many players changed teams before TC 2019.

1 year contracts and bidding wars are just something to deal with. Winning the Grey Cup does make Winnipeg a team that will attract players even if we lose some that showcased during 2019.

Our roster seems to get better season upon season in the last several years. Hard to keep a stable roster though.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: