Blue Bombers Forum
October 26, 2020, 05:31:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44419 times)
booch

« Reply #555 on: December 13, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »

Are you totally going to ignore what I said about the WDF? Yes we didn't give up many TD's but not all of that was due to the defense. Our offense dominated TOP and field position in the WSF and Grey Cup.

Giving up yardage is a R. Hall trait. It doesn't always work out and the proof of that is his career history. Giving up yardage often loses TOP and field position for the offense. Not always but often.

Oct 19: 37 - 33 in favor of Calgary. BLM 66.7% completion,  337 yards and 3 TD's
Oct 25: 29-28 in favor of Winnipeg. BLM  72.1!% completion, 350 yards and 4 TD's

That's 7 passing TD's given up in the last 2 regular season games. FOUR in the last game of the year with a 1 point victory for the Bombers.

So I don't buy all of your comments about how much more or how much sooner the " evolution " started. R. Hall has been around a long time. I give him credit for the final result of 2019 but I have doubts about the longer term evolution you suggest.

Could care less what you buy truth be told. And you can say it evolved over last 3 games if you choose...it's your choice...and I will disagree, and will also disagree that a team that has success doing something will revert to old ways of less success...For one Osh won't let that happen
theaardvark

« Reply #556 on: December 13, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »

Nichols, unknown recovery.  Collaros, unknown durability.  Anyone else available, unknown in our system/group.

Bad decision to have to make.  Make the wrong one... well, at least Walters has 4 more years on his deal.  Hopefully Streveler takes a step forward in his development... I do like the way he was utilized in conjunction with Collaros, taking a lot of the risk plays for concussion off Zach's plate...  not sure Nichols would share reps as easily as Zach did, although after watching the success it created this post season, he might be more open to it, and prolonging his career...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #557 on: December 13, 2019, 03:45:31 PM »

I can?t believe we just won the Grey cup of people are calling for the head of the guy who designed the defence that won us the cup?!? Unreal.  Guarantee you the mike Oshea that I know doesn?t make a change a DC. We ll be getting a new OC and I m not sure Buck is a slam dunk for that . We ll see what MOS does but I m thinking he likes guys who are experienced at the position not a newbie to it. There was a reason Lapo and Richie got their jobs in the first place.

I've called for his head since TC 2017. Looking at the broader picture not just the win.

Posters called for the head of Nichols because he didn't win the Grey Cup when he led in the play offs.

The narrow view is easy. Winning or losing is never the result of one player, one coach or even one game. On a given day, perhaps that one player or coach does one better thing than his opponent. In the long run history generally gives you a better idea of what to expect.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #558 on: December 13, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »

Could care less what you buy truth be told. And you can say it evolved over last 3 games if you choose...it's your choice...and I will disagree, and will also disagree that a team that has success doing something will revert to old ways of less success...For one Osh won't let that happen

Same back at you. I presented a respectful factual amount of information not just an unfounded opinion.

You took a bit of the low road in your response. There was no need for that.

Saying MOS won't let regress happen? It happened several times in 2019. Not to mention dropping from 2nd in 2017 to 3rd in 2018 and 2019 with less wins.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:51:04 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #559 on: December 13, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »

Same back at you. I presented a respectful factual amount of information not just an unfounded opinion.

You took a bit of the low road in your response. There was no need for that.
U can look at it that way if you want...low road...but pulling up stats from a couple games is hardly a decisive factual amount of information..I look at the whole ball of wax...not pieces here and there, and from experience from playing, coaching and now prepping graduates for the next level
blue_or_die

« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2019, 04:56:14 PM »

Nichols, unknown recovery.  Collaros, unknown durability.  Anyone else available, unknown in our system/group.

Bad decision to have to make.  Make the wrong one... well, at least Walters has 4 more years on his deal.  Hopefully Streveler takes a step forward in his development... I do like the way he was utilized in conjunction with Collaros, taking a lot of the risk plays for concussion off Zach's plate...  not sure Nichols would share reps as easily as Zach did, although after watching the success it created this post season, he might be more open to it, and prolonging his career...

If Nichols is a rational person, I think he realizes he is not going to be an elite superstar QB. He's in his 30s, has lost significant time due to injury, and has now won a championship when a decent passing and conservatively managed offense is complemented with a very strong running QB. He should reflect on that and welcome the opportunity to accept the best possible role suited to him, even if that means a reduced role, in order to keep winning these championships.

Nichols is a smart, reasonable guy who looked like he had a great time at the parade (see: white guy moves). I'm sure he would like to break it down again on another Tuesday afternoon in November.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #561 on: December 13, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »

John Hodge@JohnDHodge

Chris Streveler has booked several NFL workouts. #Bombers #CFL #ForTheW #CFLFA @3DownNation

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #562 on: December 13, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »

I think there's a good chance an NFL team signs him. He can be a Taysom Hill guy and running QBs have never been taken more seriously in the NFL than they are right now. He's certainly not at all an NFL caliber passer, but neither is Hill and some team will probably try and copy that model.
Blue In BC

« Reply #563 on: December 13, 2019, 05:52:39 PM »

U can look at it that way if you want...low road...but pulling up stats from a couple games is hardly a decisive factual amount of information..I look at the whole ball of wax...not pieces here and there, and from experience from playing, coaching and now prepping graduates for the next level

The previous 4 games before the back to back with Calgary.

Montreal: 35 Wpg - 24  Montreal Win
Regina: 21 Regina - 6 Wpg         Loss
Hamilton: 33 Hamilton - 13 Wpg  Loss
Montreal: 38 Montreal - 37 Wpg  Loss

So we lost 5 out of our last 9. Won 2 out of our last 6 regular season games. Gave up 28 or more points in 4 of those losses.

That's hardly a couple of games although I didn't originally post it before.  I could look at yardage and TD's given up etc but it's moot at this point.

As I said, winning or losing is never entirely the fault of the defense or the offense. It does show the longer pattern as it relates to R. Hall.

No doubt no change will be made. I can't think of a current possible candidate other than internally and that's not MOS's way.

So. Here's hoping R. Hall sticks to more of his last 4 games then the rest of the previous record.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #564 on: December 13, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »

I think there's a good chance an NFL team signs him. He can be a Taysom Hill guy and running QBs have never been taken more seriously in the NFL than they are right now. He's certainly not at all an NFL caliber passer, but neither is Hill and some team will probably try and copy that model.

That would certainly be a loss for Winnipeg.  I guess it might depend on what team makes him an offer and whether there is some sort of signing bonus.

If BLM couldn't get a deal worth taking, I'd be surprised if Streveler does. That said, you never know why some get a chance and others don't. The fact he has unique skills helps his chances.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #565 on: December 13, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »

That would certainly be a loss for Winnipeg.  I guess it might depend on what team makes him an offer and whether there is some sort of signing bonus.

If BLM couldn't get a deal worth taking, I'd be surprised if Streveler does. That said, you never know why some get a chance and others don't. The fact he has unique skills helps his chances.

There was something hinkey with the BLM / NFL situation... can't remember what, but it seems like BLM needs to be the #1 guy...  I don't think Streveler is in that boat.

I wouldn't be surprised if NFL teams take a look, and then tell him to take another 1 year deal in Winnipeg to see how he progresses...

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #566 on: December 13, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »

I think that the deal ($$$ and playing time) that BLM was looking for will be quite different than the deal Streveler will be looking for. I kinda, sorta, maybe wish him well!

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Pigskin

« Reply #567 on: December 13, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »

No doubt about it our D was up and down all year. I think having Hecht was good part of that. I don't like the prevent system, it leave the D on the field to long. It also let opposing QB's get into a rhythm. When we played aggressive D like the last game of the regular season, and the playoffs our D is much better. I would love to see Hall have D play that way a lot more in 2020.
Blue In BC

« Reply #568 on: December 13, 2019, 06:19:57 PM »

Fair enough comment about BLM versus Streveler. The NFL has never been kind to taking good looks at CFL QB's. Whether that's changing I don't really know.

We're seeing more of those types of QB's coming out of college so they have lots to choose from besides Streveler. He has more pro experience at the moment. He's also nursing an ankle injury so timing of workouts is not particularly in his favor.

He can choose to reach free agency which gives him more time to explore NFL opportunities.

He may get a substantial offer from Ottawa for example to be the starter.

I wish him well but I'd really like him back. That changes the dynamic on offense considerably for Winnipeg.

If he leaves than neither Nichols or Collaros might not be the right choice for us. Masoli or Arbuckle might then move closer to the top of interest?

It's a wait and see game until someone gets signed somewhere.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #569 on: December 13, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »

No doubt about it our D was up and down all year. I think having Hecht was good part of that. I don't like the prevent system, it leave the D on the field to long. It also let opposing QB's get into a rhythm. When we played aggressive D like the last game of the regular season, and the playoffs our D is much better. I would love to see Hall have D play that way a lot more in 2020.

There are a substantial group of key Bomber defenders that are potential free agents. Jefferson and Rose already have NFL workouts scheduled. Nevis, Thomas, Taylor and Sayles haven't re-signed yet and we released Kongbo for his NFL workouts.

We're going to see a different team in 2020. It may be better or worse. No way to tell until we see who we lose or gain and then it's a wait and see how it goes.

No real reason to think we'll lose the majority of those free agents but losing Jefferson and / or Rose wouldn't be good.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: