Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 04:58:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44524 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #510 on: December 06, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »

Actually (to further your point), didn?t it account for all 33 points? The offence got Medlock to the point where he was ?able? (lol) to miss an FG and grab a single.

True.
Blue In BC

« Reply #511 on: December 06, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »

True.

Turnovers led directly to field position in several scoring drives. Defense.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #512 on: December 06, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »

Also true.
GCn19

« Reply #513 on: December 06, 2019, 07:25:58 PM »

We did what we had to do on offence. It wasn't a herculean effort....didn't have to be. Harris having the game of his life did most of our offensive heavy lifting. More about our running game and OL really. The Hamilton lack of offence was in large part due to Evans not getting into a rhythm, big part of that was inexperience. However, if we trade QBs we still win that game pretty easily. Maybe the gap is a touch narrower but we still win. For that reason, I don't think pinning the win/loss on QB experience is apt. Football is a team game and without a monumental effort by our D, OL, and the Winnipeg boyz we don't win that game. Collaros or not. I am appreciative of ZC's efforts but he was not a key to victory in the GC game. He did, as Nichols has done so many times, simply not get in the way of us winning by making mistakes. Not knocking ZC...that was the game plan.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 07:27:33 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TBURGESS

« Reply #514 on: December 06, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »

Put down your black or white brush for just a moment, winning football is about scoring points by hook or by crook.  The Bomber QB tandem moved Medlock within scoring range 7 times of which he converted 6, in addition to the two drives they orchestrated that lead to Harris TD's.  That accounts for 32 points of 33 they helped generate, a very well executed game on their part, supported by a D that played well beyond reasonable expectations, limiting the Ti-Cats to 12 points scored.
Yes we won. Yes, the QB's did their jobs. No, that doesn't mean that we need a vet QB to win or that a vet QB was the main reason that we won.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
booch

« Reply #515 on: December 06, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »

Yes we won. Yes, the QB's did their jobs. No, that doesn't mean that we need a vet QB to win or that a vet QB was the main reason that we won.
Would we have won with Mcguire?
blue girl

« Reply #516 on: December 06, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »

I think that we also could have won with Nichols. We won this game with the defence and the determination of Harris in the running game. Hamilton still had a chance until they lost Speedy Banks and when they got stopped on third and short for a second time you could see that all hope was lost.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #517 on: December 06, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »

This. The defense had a monstrous performance in the most important game of the season. Harris having a game for the ages was also a huge factor, especially later on when it came to running down the clock.

The QBs did a commendable job and I'll say Streveler's TD pass to Harris was my favourite play of the game. I don't think QBing put this team over the top in the championship game, though. They were efficient and smart with the ball and that's all that was needed when the all the other moving parts were a well-oiled and unstoppable machine.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #518 on: December 06, 2019, 08:07:12 PM »

This. The defense had a monstrous performance in the most important game of the season. Harris having a game for the ages was also a huge factor, especially later on when it came to running down the clock.

The QBs did a commendable job and I'll say Streveler's TD pass to Harris was my favourite play of the game. I don't think QBing put this team over the top in the championship game, though. They were efficient and smart with the ball and that's all that was needed when the all the other moving parts were a well-oiled and unstoppable machine.

That's really the winning formula this team has adopted under LaPo, and some fans hate it, but there's no disputing their success.
blue_or_die

« Reply #519 on: December 06, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »

Zero people are doubting the enormous role defense played in our cup win. Fact of the matter is, offense answered the bell and built on opportunities created. Nobody did anything themselves.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »

That's really the winning formula this team has adopted under LaPo, and some fans hate it, but there's no disputing their success.

It's no secret Harris is the key to the offense. My only "issue" with that is can make for a boring or even non-existent air attack, which we saw for the bulk of the season and in the playoffs. I won't complain (much) over an efficient, safe offensive that's successful at scoring, but when other phases of the game struggled, the offense looked exposed at times.

Fortunately, it all came together at basically the perfect time and we witnessed a championship run for the ages. However, I'd be lying if I said I'd accept the status quo on offense in 2020. I want to see that strong, mostly unstoppable run game but I'd very much like a more balanced offense like we saw in 2017. That combined with the defense we saw for the majority of 2019 could make for such an exciting team, IMO.

A lot of pieces have to fall into place personnel-wise before that but that's my hope looking ahead to 2020. I think we're in for a heck of an off-season, both here and across the CFL landscape.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #521 on: December 06, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »

It's no secret Harris is the key to the offense. My only "issue" with that is can make for a boring or even non-existent air attack, which we saw for the bulk of the season and in the playoffs. I won't complain (much) over an efficient, safe offensive that's successful at scoring, but when other phases of the game struggled, the offense looked exposed at times.

Fortunately, it all came together at basically the perfect time and we witnessed a championship run for the ages. However, I'd be lying if I said I'd accept the status quo on offense in 2020. I want to see that strong, mostly unstoppable run game but I'd very much like a more balanced offense like we saw in 2017. That combined with the defense we saw for the majority of 2019 could make for such an exciting team, IMO.

A lot of pieces have to fall into place personnel-wise before that but that's my hope looking ahead to 2020. I think we're in for a heck of an off-season, both here and across the CFL landscape.

It surely looks like LaPo intends to move on to bigger opportunities shortly, so good possibility we'll see a bit of a different look next season under Buck.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #522 on: December 07, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »

I do believe we need to take our best shot at signing Zach Collaros.  His performance in the 4 games he played for the Bombers is impressive and he is a winner.  At the moment, we have a Oline that can protect him and a defence that is capable of shutting down any offence in the league.

Not saying there won't be changes but just reinforcing the current team is a winner and we need to hold onto as many current players we can, including the guy who led them to the Grey Cup.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #523 on: December 07, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »

I do believe we need to take our best shot at signing Zach Collaros.

Not sure that'll happen.  Aggregating what the (very perceptive) others have already said, here's the writing on the wall that Zach probably goes back east:

1. Nichols ran out on the GC field (in civvies) with the O (possibly ahead of Collaros!)
2. Nichols was in the parade truck bed with Strev et al; while Collaros rode discreetly in the cab
3. Every time someone on the call-in shows says "Collaros", MOS says "don't forget Matt"

All indications are that everyone involved already knows what's happening with Collaros, and that it was all pre-ordained before he even got here.

I wonder if they delay the Collaros/Nichols news as long as they can in order to maximize STH sales  Wink Grin

I know there's going to be a fair amount of grumbling when they announce Nichols is #1.  Personally I'm fine with either QB and think both have earned our respect and gratitude, and both are more than capable of getting us more GCs.  I think if you're Nichols you take a slight pay cut (certainly not a raise) this year to help your case on the team.

Never go full Rider!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #524 on: December 07, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »

I do believe we need to take our best shot at signing Zach Collaros.  His performance in the 4 games he played for the Bombers is impressive and he is a winner.  At the moment, we have a Oline that can protect him and a defence that is capable of shutting down any offence in the league.

Not saying there won't be changes but just reinforcing the current team is a winner and we need to hold onto as many current players we can, including the guy who led them to the Grey Cup.
Though I agree with you I can also see the writing on the wall with Collaros likely heading east.   In the 4 games he played he threw one pick against Calgary in the last game of the season and 0 picks in all 3 playoff games!   That's impressive and albeit he never once threw for 300 yards in any of the games he played, he completed some incredibly accurate deep balls to get us out of a hole at key times in games!   He also rarely was sacked and managed to escape the pass rush several times and make something from nothing.   You take away those big plays and the game suddenly takes on a whole new complexion!   The guy is very cool under pressure.

That being said, yes Nichols will likely be our guy going forward and for me he still needs to prove that he can deliver in the BIG games.   I'm still concerned with his shoulder injury and worried he may end up like Lulay, who never ever fully recovered from that injury!   I keep hearing from on this forum that we don't know the severity of the injury and that he could bounce back and regain his 7-2 form prior to injury!   That's a lot to be hopeful for and it might happen.....but then again it might not.   Also, consider that we may have a new OC in place if LaPo lands a HC job.    If that happens will the job be filled in house with Buck?   

There are too many variables and unanswered questions remaining at this juncture and I'm hoping that we can retain as many players from this team as possible, including Zach "Attack" Collaros!   

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: