Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 05:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44565 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #420 on: December 03, 2019, 05:19:32 AM »

Actually I'm not a hard case on the merits of Zach's play at all. I simply believe that his concussion history cannot be ignored.

It's a real risk, if Collaros was knocked out early in the season for any length of time, there is a good chance the Bombers wouldn't even make the playoffs in a tough West division with Streveler QBng the team.  I don't think Walters can ignore that possible scenario and I don't think he is naive enough to think that Strev. is ready to pick up the slack.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #421 on: December 03, 2019, 06:16:36 AM »

It's a real risk, if Collaros was knocked out early in the season for any length of time, there is a good chance the Bombers wouldn't even make the playoffs in a tough West division with Streveler QBng the team.  I don't think Walters can ignore that possible scenario and I don't think he is naive enough to think that Strev. is ready to pick up the slack.
thats also a possibility with Nichols.....it's going to be a crap shoot with this two QB crap system.    Not sure why the league is hell bent on nutting themselves given how many QBs went down this last season?!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
booch

« Reply #422 on: December 03, 2019, 01:21:00 PM »

I know Streveler stated he wants to stay in Winnipeg, but how much does it depend where Lapo ends up?

Not all OC may utilize him like Lapo did.

Hope it all works out and make sure you get your Grey Cup gear for Christmas!
It's not anything to do with Lapo..it's the culture...environment...his teamates...everything...If anything deep down he probably would love to see Lapo move on so his nuts can be released out of the vice and he can play more wide open
blue_or_die

« Reply #423 on: December 03, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »

The QB1 debate is pretty null if you ask me. Two capable QBs with similar styles and both oft-injured. IMO, of the two of Nichols and Collaros, ZC has the edge in overall skill and ability but has a more serious injury history/risk. Throw that in with the Toronto home factor for ZC and the Winnipeg home factor for MN and it becomes more clear that Nichols will be our QB1 next year.

What we can take from this is, we need to have Streveler back to complement what MN (or ZC) bring and step in during injury or hard times.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:54:11 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #424 on: December 03, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »

thats also a possibility with Nichols.....it's going to be a crap shoot with this two QB crap system.    Not sure why the league is hell bent on nutting themselves given how many QBs went down this last season?!

When Nichols is medically cleared he has a far stronger chance of staying healthy than Collaros. FAR stronger. Collaros next concussion, and he will get one because they become very easy to sustain after a few of them, will be a pretty much automatic season ender or even career ender. To equate this as being on the same level as a muscle injury is not an apt or even remotely similar comparison. The chance of ZC making it through a season as a starter is so remote that no GM worth a snot should ever consider it.

If ZC wants to re-sign here as a backup, at backup money, I would gladly take him. Otherwise, and it is sad, we cannot roll the dice on a guy with that concussion history.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #425 on: December 03, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »

The QB1 debate is pretty null if you ask me. Two capable QBs with similar styles and both oft-injured. IMO, of the two of Nichols and Collaros, ZC has the edge in overall skill and ability but has a more serious injury history/risk. Throw that in with the Toronto home factor for ZC and the Winnipeg home factor for MN and it becomes more clear that Nichols will be our QB next year.

What we can take from this is, we need to have Streveler back to complement what MN (or ZC bring) and step in during injury or hard times.

I wonder how much more effective MN could have been had we used Strev in the same role as we did through the playoffs. Just saying...

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #426 on: December 03, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »

It's not anything to do with Lapo..it's the culture...environment...his teamates...everything...If anything deep down he probably would love to see Lapo move on so his nuts can be released out of the vice and he can play more wide open

Bingo. It sounds like he wants to stay here and has no interest in testing free agency: https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/streveler-has-no-interest-in-testing-free-agency

"I've had conversations with multiple people in the building and told them how much I love being here, how much I love playing for this staff," Streveler said, Monday. "And the locker-room, the culture we have is something I love being a part of. I told everyone that I would love to be back here next year."

Great news for the team. And it says a lot about this organization and how far it's come under this regime.

I wonder how much more effective MN could have been had we used Strev in the same role as we did through the playoffs. Just saying...

This. I couldn't agree more.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
TBURGESS

« Reply #427 on: December 03, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »

When Nichols is medically cleared he has a far stronger chance of staying healthy than Collaros. FAR stronger. Collaros next concussion, and he will get one because they become very easy to sustain after a few of them, will be a pretty much automatic season ender or even career ender. To equate this as being on the same level as a muscle injury is not an apt or even remotely similar comparison. The chance of ZC making it through a season as a starter is so remote that no GM worth a snot should ever consider it.

If ZC wants to re-sign here as a backup, at backup money, I would gladly take him. Otherwise, and it is sad, we cannot roll the dice on a guy with that concussion history.
Ok Winnipeg'r... Neither Nichols nor Collaros is signing for backup money.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
GCn19

« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »

Ok Winnipeg'r... Neither Nichols nor Collaros is signing for backup money.

I know that. Just stating the only circumstance in which I would re-sign Collaros.

blue_or_die

« Reply #429 on: December 03, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »

Precisely what I'm getting at.

Next year should be a 1-2 punch just like it was in the playoffs. Not only does it get Streveler's unique skillset more involved, but it makes MN/ZC better players.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »

Next year should be a 1-2 punch just like it was in the playoffs. Not only does it get Streveler's unique skillset more involved, but it makes MN/ZC better players.

There is no doubt that 2 out of 3 teams had extreme difficulty containing our 2 headed QB system.

Blue In BC

« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »

No kidding. As his passing skills develop it becomes even more dangerous for defenses to game plan against.

IMO he needs some work on his throwing mechanics but he wouldn't be the 1st QB with an odd throwing motion to become a good passer. Playing more also builds confidence but he seemed to be brimming with that as the season progresses.

I want him back, without a doubt regardless of who ends up as # 1.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #432 on: December 03, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »

Interesting point... we are talking about the injury risk in Collaros, that Nichols is a safer bet, even though Nichols is coming off a season ending injury, and Collaros a Grey Cup...

Just sayin...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #433 on: December 03, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »

Interesting point... we are talking about the injury risk in Collaros, that Nichols is a safer bet, even though Nichols is coming off a season ending injury, and Collaros a Grey Cup...

Just sayin... 

As far as injury history and durability go, both carry substantial risk going forward. Concussion issues are serious, as is an throwing shoulder injury.

Winning a championship is irrelevant in that regard. It's a gamble with either QB.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »

As far as injury history and durability go, both carry substantial risk going forward. Concussion issues are serious, as is an throwing shoulder injury.

Winning a championship is irrelevant in that regard. It's a gamble with either QB.

100% true.   The challenge with ZC is that one hard slap or elbow to his head will have him miss a month or more based on his history. 

Love the guy and regardless of what anyone says he is a better passer than MN and overall the best QB of the three.    Darn concussions and risk
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: