Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 06:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44575 times)
GCn19

« Reply #375 on: November 29, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »

I don't know if I agree with that sentiment. I think Collaros was the better QB of the two. He is absolutely more aggressive and at times was willing to throw the 50/50 ball and trust his guys. He was very accurate deep. If you think Nichols went through his reads a bit faster, I think you need to consider that Nichols has been in this offense for five seasons and Collaros had five weeks.

How long they have played in the offence is irrelevant. Nichols does it better. We have no idea that if the offence were to slow down more for Collaros that he might just start making the same reads as Nichols and stop gun slinging.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #376 on: November 29, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »

I'm guessing that it won't work out that way. What will QB's in the XFL be earning?

QB salary for the XFL is 250k. However, the XFL has stated they will not be pursuing any of our pending FA's this year at this time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:51:48 PM by GCn19 » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #377 on: November 29, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »

The slew of QBs available after this year of showcase is going to make this a buyer's market. We won't be having to pay more than 450k for a QB1.

I agree. Fajardo set the market.

booch

« Reply #378 on: November 29, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »

he did kinda....I still think Riders way over payed for him too...one season does not a 400k salary earn...but hey its their money hahaha
GCn19

« Reply #379 on: November 29, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »

Like 10 check downs, or 5 throws into the bench.

None of those are necessarily bad plays. You go where the read and the pressure tells you to go. I think the lay man fan doesn't understand that a check down is better than a sack or an interception, so is a throw to the 5th row. Peeves me when people get angry about that. The only time a check down is bad is if the QB has not gone through his progressions when he had the time to do so and it was not the primary read.

GCn19

« Reply #380 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »

he did kinda....I still think Riders way over payed for him too...one season does not a 400k salary earn...but hey its their money hahaha

They really didn't have a choice. No one is lining up to play in McAdon't's offence or Regina at all for that matter. As much as Rider fans like to brag they are a preferred destination, they have done their share of overpaying to get talent to move to that crap hole.

booch

« Reply #381 on: November 29, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »

yeah a check down is an after all else fails to develop....there are times it's a designed play, but thats when there are blocks set up for it or receivers clear out space
Blue In BC

« Reply #382 on: November 29, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »

Like 10 check downs, or 5 throws into the bench.

We led the league in scoring in 2017 and 2018. We lead the league in scoring in 2019 before Nichols was hurt and we had a 7 - 2 win loss record.

Anthony Calvillo and R. Ray threw a bunch of check downs and 5 yard throws into the bench.

I give you they were more accurate long throw passers when opportunity arose but they were also not prolific runners either. OTOH Nichols has shown high completion %'s and QB efficiency for the past few seasons.

While he may not make as many of the long throws he plays into his strengths and does complete complete more than you appear to give him credit.

It was reported that Winnipeg was throwing more 20+ yard passes attempted than other teams but I can't find the completion %.  That said completion % is not always only on the QB. The receiver and defenses are part of the play as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:11:23 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #383 on: November 29, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »

I just don't think that Collaros's gun slinging would have been sustainable over a whole season. He caught Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Hamilton off guard because our play calling had been so conservative and Lapo opened up the play book and took some extra chances in the playoffs. However, over the course of a season if we played that way defences would have started shutting us down on the long ball and let Andrew Harris try to beat us until he was worn out.

It was only because our small ball approach through most of the season was so effective that teams in the playoffs tried to make us beat them with the long ball and gave us the one on ones in coverage so they could take away the ground and short/intermediate routes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:09:42 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #384 on: November 29, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »

How long they have played in the offence is irrelevant. Nichols does it better. We have no idea that if the offence were to slow down more for Collaros that he might just start making the same reads as Nichols and stop gun slinging.
Zach has always been a gunslinger and if he were to make a TC with this offence he would be even better.   Plus Collaros is actually younger than Nichols.    His mobility created offensive plays that Nichols just can't accomplish because he's not very athletic in that regard.   Zach is 6 foot and 220 and throws the ball with greater velocity and accuracy.    I admit that Matt was doing well at the beginning of the season however after Labour Day things start tightening up defensively as games become more intense as we approach the playoffs.   Zach came here and practiced with the team twice before playing the Stamps and won that game with a display of scrambling we haven't seen in decades.   That pass to Adams in the end zone was pure magic and Nicholls would have thrown it away or been sacked.   In the Grey Cup game he deftly escaped the pressure and made plays that resulted in first downs.   This is a special skill set that Matt just doesn't have....and Zach can throw on the run.   Zach is also a very smart QB and makes his reads quickly and decisively.....when you stack up each player's pros and cons Zach comes out on top.    And don't get me wrong, I'm ok with Matt as our QB albeit his style of play isn't very exciting to watch.   What Zach did for this team was nothing short of miraculous and I'm not sure why some posters on this forum think his play was just OK???

As MOS said, the story of Zach Collaros and his 4 game run with the Bombers should be written down and told over and over again!  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:11:57 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »

I agree. Fajardo set the market.

I disagree. If the Lions cut Mike Reilly tomorrow you think he'll only get $400K? Masoli is going to get more than that.

It's very likely Nichols and Collaros might get more than that.

Fajardo was a 1st year starter and deserved a bump due to his play.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »

Zach has always been a gunslinger and if he were to make a TC with this offence he would be even better.   Plus Collaros is actually younger than Nichols.    His mobility created offensive plays that Nichols just can't accomplish because he's not very athletic in that regard.   Zach is 6 foot and 220 and throws the ball with greater velocity and accuracy.    I admit that Matt was doing well at the beginning of the season however after Labour Day things start tightening up defensively as games become more intense as we approach the playoffs.   Zach came here and practiced with the team twice before playing the Stamps and won that game with a display of scrambling we haven't seen in decades.   That pass to Adams in the end zone was pure magic and Nicholls would have thrown it away or been sacked.   In the Grey Cup game he deftly escaped the pressure and made plays that resulted in first downs.   This is a special skill set that Matt just doesn't have....and Zach can throw on the run.   Zach is also a very smart QB and makes his reads quickly and decisively.....when you stack up each player's pros and cons Zach comes out on top.    And don't get me wrong, I'm ok with Matt as our QB albeit his style of play isn't very exciting to watch.   What Zach did for this team was nothing short of miraculous and I'm not sure why some posters on this forum think his play was just OK???

As MOS said, the story of Zach Collaros should be written down and told over and over again!  

He played great, but a big part of that was teams had very little film on him with us. They did not know what he would do. Over the course of the season DC's would figure him out and it wouldn't come as easy for him. We never got one on ones earlier in the season. ZC got them all day long in the WF and GC.

GCn19

« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »

I disagree. If the Lions cut Mike Reilly tomorrow you think he'll only get $400K? Masoli is going to get more than that.

It's very likely Nichols and Collaros might get more than that.

Fajardo was a 1st year starter and deserved a bump due to his play.

Fajardo, Nichols, Collaros, and Arbuckle are no Mike Reilly....and if you don't think that MR would take a big shave if he were released tomorrow you are kidding yourself. Every team got to watch the great 700-800k QB experiment unfold this season and they saw one team go from champs to chumps and the other miss the playoffs. No team will be paying a QB in that neighborhood for years to come now.

Last year Hervey and Huffer took a gamble that the CBA would bring in a bunch of extra SMS room. It didn't and now they have albatross QB contracts hanging around their necks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:16:59 PM by GCn19 » Logged

booch

« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »

Fajardo, Nichols, Collaros, and Arbuckle are no Mike Reilly....and if you don't think that MR would take a big shave if he were released tomorrow you are kidding yourself. Every team got to watch the great 700-800k QB experiment unfold this season and they saw one team go from champs to chumps and the other miss the playoffs. No team will be paying a QB in that neighborhood for years to come now.

Last year Hervey and Huffer took a gamble that the CBA would bring in a bunch of extra SMS room. It didn't and now they have albatross QB contracts hanging around their necks.

Yup...I think they took a huge gamble on the SMS going up a substantial amount...Cgy was lucky they had an established team and staff...BC didn't

GCn19

« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »

Yup...I think they took a huge gamble on the SMS going up a substantial amount...Cgy was lucky they had an established team and staff...BC didn't

For sure. Like every team in the CFL they were handicapped by not knowing what the SMS ceiling would be and by not being able to offer a big amount of salary immediately upfront. They felt the cap was going up and they were wrong.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: