Blue Bombers Forum
December 01, 2020, 07:44:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 50386 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #360 on: November 27, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »

Sure...and Nichols is better at reading a D and executing in the red zone.

I don't know if I agree with that sentiment. I think Collaros was the better QB of the two. He is absolutely more aggressive and at times was willing to throw the 50/50 ball and trust his guys. He was very accurate deep. If you think Nichols went through his reads a bit faster, I think you need to consider that Nichols has been in this offense for five seasons and Collaros had five weeks.
Blue In BC

« Reply #361 on: November 27, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »

I haven't observed this personally but I could definitely see it being the case. Any stats or supporting argument to back this up?

We were the highest scoring offense in 2017 and 2018. 2nd highest in 2019 but were in 1st before Nichols injury.

In 2018 he threw for more yardage, better completion % and a better TD to int ratio than Collaros.

That's pretty compelling.

Before Nichols we often struggled to score 20 points in a game. How soon we forget what we had in the past. He's not perfect but his win loss record is very good.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:27:58 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #362 on: November 29, 2019, 12:04:38 AM »

I don't know if I agree with that sentiment. I think Collaros was the better QB of the two. He is absolutely more aggressive and at times was willing to throw the 50/50 ball and trust his guys. He was very accurate deep. If you think Nichols went through his reads a bit faster, I think you need to consider that Nichols has been in this offense for five seasons and Collaros had five weeks.

Four seasons, actually*. LaPolice joined this team in 2016, at which point Willy was the starter and ultimately lost it to Nichols during that season.

Collaros played four games for this team and did a really good job executing the playbook. His best trait was his ability to scramble and make plays with his feet, adding a nice wrinkle for opposing defenses to consider. By no means did his stats jump off the page or anything, though.

Regardless of sample size or tenure, Nichols has executed this offense very well far more often than not, which is backed up by the numbers over that period.

IMO, it's not necessarily reasonable to compare the two QBs but consider this (FWIW): during this 2019 campaign, Collaros posted a 105.7 QB rating in his four games played; Nichols, in his 9 games played, posted a QB rating of 107.2. While neither QB blew the doors off any opposing defense, both were highly efficient and smart with the ball.

* Bellefeuille was OC when Nichols was acquired in 2015

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2019, 12:31:17 AM »

I thought that Collaros and Nichols played similarly. I think their stats bear that out. We may not have won the Grey Cup with Nichols, but we certainly wouldn't have won it without him this season.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Ridermania

« Reply #364 on: November 29, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

Honestly can't see Walters giving up a 1st for Collaros.  

Is Streveler a $175K QB or higher?

How much are CFL teams going to tie up in 2 QB's next season...maybe $600K for the pair?

BC and Calgary have way too much tied up in QB SMS and can only afford a lower salary back-up.
booch

« Reply #365 on: November 29, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »

What did Fartado suck out of the Riders?...or was it published?
Ridermania

« Reply #366 on: November 29, 2019, 01:42:40 PM »

$400K and all I was trying to discuss is $600K for 2 QB's the new team normal?

I do realize that BC, Calgary and Edmonton are higher with current contracts.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:49:45 PM by Ridermania » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #367 on: November 29, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »

Honestly can't see Walters giving up a 1st for Collaros.  

Is Streveler a $175K QB or higher?

How much are CFL teams going to tie up in 2 QB's next season...maybe $600K for the pair?

BC and Calgary have way too much tied up in QB SMS and can only afford a lower salary back-up.

That's the magic question in play and we'll have to see how that plays out. Several teams have QB's that potentially will reach free agency. All of Winnipeg's and Toronto's. Masoli in Hamilton might hit free agency.

IMO regardless of which combination we choose it's going to cost us more. I'd like Streveler back and that's bound to add another $100K just for our # 2 QB.

No more excuses.
Doublezero

« Reply #368 on: November 29, 2019, 02:21:16 PM »

Thanks to Matt Nichols for his contribution to the Blue Bombers over the past few seasons but with injuries etc reminds me of Lulay - too much uncertainty - it's time to move on.

Just gimme the rock.
blue_or_die

« Reply #369 on: November 29, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »

The slew of QBs available after this year of showcase is going to make this a buyer's market. We won't be having to pay more than 450k for a QB1.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #370 on: November 29, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »

The slew of QBs available after this year of showcase is going to make this a buyer's market. We won't be having to pay more than 450k for a QB1.

I'm guessing that it won't work out that way. What will QB's in the XFL be earning?

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #371 on: November 29, 2019, 02:47:18 PM »

$400K and all I was trying to discuss is $600K for 2 QB's the new team normal?

I do realize that BC, Calgary and Edmonton are higher with current contracts.

I wasn't trying to be a doucher...was wondering as I hadn't heard...I would think a team would want/hope to ideally have QB's 1 and 2 coming in around there to not ruin your SMS elsewhere
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #372 on: November 29, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »

Based on his performance in the Grey Cup game I'd go after Collaros.   He made at least 4 plays with his feet where he avoided being sacked and made plays for positive yards.   Matt would have either thrown the ball away or been sacked.   And you can't really compare stats between the two because all of Matt's numbers were from the first half of the season before the LDC.   Zachs stats were impressive considering the games were All pressure packed games where he threw one pick in 4 games.    He works well with Streveler in combination as well.   I think a first rounder is a steal to acquire a player with Zachs proven abilities to win the big games and if we can maintain the same core of players, we would once again be Cup contenders.   Yes he has a history of concussions and that is a risk however Matt's shoulder is a big concern as well.   
That being said, Zach will likely prefer TO over us simply because of family ties there......Pinball made it very clear when they traded him that he would take him back so we likely won't have to make that decision regardless.   

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #373 on: November 29, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »

Based on his performance in the Grey Cup game I'd go after Collaros.   He made at least 4 plays with his feet where he avoided being sacked and made plays for positive yards.   Matt would have either thrown the ball away or been sacked.   And you can't really compare stats between the two because all of Matt's numbers were from the first half of the season before the LDC.   Zachs stats were impressive considering the games were All pressure packed games where he threw one pick in 4 games.    He works well with Streveler in combination as well.   I think a first rounder is a steal to acquire a player with Zachs proven abilities to win the big games and if we can maintain the same core of players, we would once again be Cup contenders.   Yes he has a history of concussions and that is a risk however Matt's shoulder is a big concern as well.   
That being said, Zach will likely prefer TO over us simply because of family ties there......Pinball made it very clear when they traded him that he would take him back so we likely won't have to make that decision regardless.  

While that's true it's a bit of cheery picking at well. Nichols may have made other plays that Collaros wouldn't have. Our OL pass and run blocked very well.

IMO they are very similar in effectiveness and style. The stats bear that out. Both have injury histories to consider.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #374 on: November 29, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »

Like 10 check downs, or 5 throws into the bench.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: