Blue Bombers Forum
October 31, 2020, 12:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 45039 times)
TBURGESS

« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »

This is overstating the case. Nichols is also an elite QB. Let?s not forget that we were in first place with him at the reigns. Collaros is more exciting to watch, and can stretch the field better, no doubt about that. But they are both elite QBs who could both win the cup for us. And Collaros is still potentially one concussion away from being an ex-elite QB.

I still would prefer Collaros but given his roots in the east, Toronto?s open plan to snag him, and the fact that we have Nichols under contract... chances are we?ll have Nichols next year.
Nichols isn't 'under contract'. He'll be a FA just like Collaros and Streveler.

I'd also say that Nichols isn't an elite QB but Collaros played like one for 4 games this year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
gobombersgo

« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »

Why would you assume that?  re-signing a player usually refers to doing it before they reach free agency...  Pinball has said they intend to have Collaros as their QB next year... I'm guessing that will depend on Collaros now...
I agree will TBurg, Bombers would owe the 1st rounder regardless of when Collaros was signed.

jeremy q public

« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »

Nichols isn't 'under contract'. He'll be a FA just like Collaros and Streveler.

I'd also say that Nichols isn't an elite QB but Collaros played like one for 4 games this year.

Hmm. I was going off this article for his contract info.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/3downnation.com/2019/02/06/bombers-qb-matt-nichols-set-for-pay-increase-but-bombers-have-an-out/amp/

But it looks like that was wrong.

As for ?elite? obviously that?s a subjective title but I consider it a uniquely TBurg type of view that a QB with the highest efficiency rating of long term starters this year is not ?elite.? Bo Levi Mitchell himself said it would be ?insane? to not consider Nichols elite after coming into a struggling organization and leading us as a year after year competitor.
Pigskin

« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »

If I am picking between Nichols or Collaris. It's Collaris all day. Just the way he moves in the pocket gives this team hope, and the chance to make soon big plays. The 1/2 punch of ZC8 and healthy Strv17 looks pretty good to me.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »

Yeah, I'd personally like Zach/Strev utilized in the same way they've been for the last four games.  Zach's a better QB than Matt, but the health question mark is still the big issue.
trapper

« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »

Collaros did great but I don't know if he did much more than what Nichols brought to the table. Big difference is LaPo let Zach throw.

Both can be successful.
Pigskin

« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »

Collaros did great but I don't know if he did much more than what Nichols brought to the table. Big difference is LaPo let Zach throw.

Both can be successful.

Really, coming from a Rider Fan. Did you not see ZC8 making plays with his legs that Nichols does not make. Nichols does not move well in the pocket.
kkc60

« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2019, 09:13:22 PM »

Zach definitely was more mobile and made more plays with his feet
Pigskin

« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »

Sign ZC8, trade Nichols to Ottawa or Toronto for a first round pic with the same conditions we have with ZC8??

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2019, 09:21:13 PM »

Both can be successful.

I think the big difference is Zach can throw. They didn't suddenly change the entire playbook when Collaros came in. He made the plays that Nichols wouldn't or couldn't.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:23:25 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2019, 09:21:23 PM »

Hmm. I was going off this article for his contract info.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/3downnation.com/2019/02/06/bombers-qb-matt-nichols-set-for-pay-increase-but-bombers-have-an-out/amp/

But it looks like that was wrong.

As for ?elite? obviously that?s a subjective title but I consider it a uniquely TBurg type of view that a QB with the highest efficiency rating of long term starters this year is not ?elite.? Bo Levi Mitchell himself said it would be ?insane? to not consider Nichols elite after coming into a struggling organization and leading us as a year after year competitor.
You have to look at the competition. Collaros did it against Cgy, Cgy, Skn and Ham. Nichols did it against the bottom teams and Edmonton.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »

Zach definitely was more mobile and made more plays with his feet

That and he didn't panic and chuck it into the stands, he made something out of nothing most times.  And he did it with only one INT in three games, correct?
Jesse

« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »

That and he didn't panic and chuck it into the stands, he made something out of nothing most times.  And he did it with only one INT in three games, correct?

One INT in four games.

His mobility in the pocket is something I don't think I've ever seen from a Blue Bomber QB (I never saw Clements play). If four games is all we get, so be it, but don't look at his passing yardage and say Nichols could have done the same thing because it's completely disingenuous.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »

You proudly spout out about the "character" of our team for the last six years, then you continually spread a strategy that goes completely against their MO.

We have a trade agreement in place, they'll stick to it, not work around it.

Honestly, I doubt this is even a concern anyway.

When this deal was made, did anyone see this as the result?  The key reason for this provision in the deal was that Pinball wants Collaros, and wanted to dis incentivize WPG from extending him...

Yeah, this is not in the spirit of the "way we do things", but if we want to compete, in some ways, we're going to have to start making our ways the ways other do things...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »

OK, now that ZC has shown QB's around the league what can be done behind this oline, with these targets, with this OC... might Winnipeg become a much more interesting consideration for a FA?  If we can lock down some of these pieces, adn the staff, do we get the choice of the FA QB crowd finally?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: