Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 04:42:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44514 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »

Who is EDIT  Huh

I got spanked by the mods.  The fine gentlemen named EDIT is Mr. Cody.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »

I believe that Collaros big difference in yardage has a lot to do with yards after the catch because when you look at the data the number of completions for each were very similar... so why did Collaros get more yards? I believe that it was because Calgary wasn't expecting that type of passing attack from Collaros, that given his abilities they were concerned about throws of all lengths... conversely, for Streveler, Calgary was playing up because they knew that it was going to be either a run or the short throw... Collaros made them play more 'honest'... the bad thing about that is when every figures that out and then any QB within that system will become less effective...

Interesting theory about Lapo.  Do you have the exact stat on how the YAC differed in the air attack between the 2 games?

If Collaros got significantly more YAC, it's got to be because he was noticeably quicker on the decision and throw than Strev.  And when it needs to be, he zips the ball in much faster than Strev.  I think Collaros gives D's far less time to respond to what is happening, and provides less of a tell (staredowns, etc).  All of this is an advantage for receivers to be more open when the ball hits them.

Collaros also placed the ball much better, at or ahead of the receiver.  Strev had a penchant of being more of a behind thrower.  That also goes to YAC.  I only remember one Zach ball thrown what I'd call "behind"; well, that and the INT.

All of this stuff is due to Zach's vast experience.  Strev may get there eventually, but he needs to watch the vets and practice some more.  A lot more.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »

Collaros was hitting receivers while they were still moving forward ( more often ) and not at a dead stop. That accounted for longer receptions and more YAC. Quicker releases accounted for part of that.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »

Collaros was hitting receivers while they were still moving forward ( more often ) and not at a dead stop. That accounted for longer receptions and more YAC. Quicker releases accounted for part of that.

There is no comparison between ZCs and CSs ability to hit players on the move. That being said, some of that was due to the play packages installed for each. Lapo knows that Strev is not the best pure passer so he game him nice stationary targets in the game plan and tons of running, with ZC Lapo was able to do more of the Nichols play book.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »

Collaros has more mobility then Nichols and a better arm.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »

I don't know... lol... I think if you go back and watch it again you'll see something different... just sayin'...  and not that it really matters a whole heck of a lot, it is what it is... or it is what it was, lol...  Grin

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn19

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »

...and the Legend of Zach continues to grow. Are we that QB deficient that a 220 yard 2 TD performance is spoken about like it was an MVP performance?

I'm as happy as the next guy that we won that game, and that ZC was able to prove he still has some game left....but really...he wasn't even the best QB in that game. ZC gives us some hope but let's not overstate it, he's not going to win a playoff game for us. We need a big day by Andrew Harris, and the D to get past Calgary. We simply need ZC to chip in what he can.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:46:09 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2019, 07:45:25 PM »

he didn't play bad for not having played for a year and a half... the best part to me was that he didn't lose the game for us, so that's a plus and a great place to start...

I think he could win us a playoff game, but not if Lapo plans on calling another game like the last one though... like I said earlier, in this thread I believe, is that I hope that Lapo has used that big giant brain of his to come up with a game plan that uses both ZC8 and CS17 to keep Calgary off balance and not sure of whats going on...  I guess we'll have to wait and see...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2019, 08:14:22 PM »

...and the Legend of Zach continues to grow. Are we that QB deficient that a 220 yard 2 TD performance is spoken about like it was an MVP performance?

I'm as happy as the next guy that we won that game, and that ZC was able to prove he still has some game left....but really...he wasn't even the best QB in that game. ZC gives us some hope but let's not overstate it, he's not going to win a playoff game for us. We need a big day by Andrew Harris, and the D to get past Calgary. We simply need ZC to chip in what he can.

I remember in 2014 when we signed Drew Willy. We spent the better part of the previous 5 seasons with deplorable QBing. In one of the first plays of the first game that season, Drew lobbed up a reasonably distanced ball and a receiver caught it. The crowd at IGF and myself all completely lost our s***.

You would have thought it capped off a 500 yard, 6 TD performance or something.

These are the times we live in, in Winnipeg!!

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue girl

« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »

IMO we haven't had a QB that was exciting to watch since Khari and that was 15 years ago.
blue_or_die

« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »

IMO we haven't had a QB that was exciting to watch since Khari and that was 15 years ago.

I gave Glenn the benefit. But you're probably right.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2019, 03:47:45 AM »

I think he could win us a playoff game, but not if Lapo plans on calling another game like the last one though... like I said earlier, in this thread I believe, is that I hope that Lapo has used that big giant brain of his to come up with a game plan that uses both ZC8 and CS17 to keep Calgary off balance and not sure of whats going on...  I guess we'll have to wait and see...

This is precisely what we need to do.  I would go so far as to give them close to 50% reps each.  That's assuming Strev can play.  If he can't, oooh boy, it may be a long night.

I would also make protecting Collaros job #1.  Dude can play well if he doesn't take a hit.  I don't want to see stuff like we saw last game.  As we've seen, CGY is playing for keeps on the hits.  I hope Nevis/Richardson/Jeffcoat/Fatboi/Biggie can lay some wood on BLM in return.  Just watch the timing and placement Jeffcoat!  Wink

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »

If healthy, I expect Strev to come into games in the same fashion as he used to when Nichols was the starter. Come in for short yardage and let him progress the series and change the look. It might be for a few more plays, or he might finish the series and result in points?

I also expect him to come in on second and short. Calgary won't know what we do, then. Plunge, hand off and pound with AH, trick play, long bomb...

Blue In BC

« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »

If healthy, I expect Strev to come into games in the same fashion as he used to when Nichols was the starter. Come in for short yardage and let him progress the series and change the look. It might be for a few more plays, or he might finish the series and result in points?

I also expect him to come in on second and short. Calgary won't know what we do, then. Plunge, hand off and pound with AH, trick play, long bomb...

+1

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »

he didn't play bad for not having played for a year and a half... the best part to me was that he didn't lose the game for us, so that's a plus and a great place to start...

The unfortunate thing about playing Calgary 3 times in the last few months is they'll remember exactly what they need to do when Streveler comes into the game and immediately make adjustments.  I agree using both is the right approach for the Bombers, but I'm not sure it will surprise the Stamps unless Streveler pulls a rabbit out of his hat and attacks them deep.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: