Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 04:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44513 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »

It's status quo next year.

Collaros: everyone picking him needs to listen to 66 and the others.  He played great in 1 game, and I'm thankful for that.  Only if he gets us to the GC will we see any serious consideration of Collaros for 2020.  I advise everyone to go read the SSK sign Collaros for '19 season thread from 10 months back.  If you were against Collaros in SSK then, why are you for Collaros in WPG now?  Nothing has changed.  He'll likely get concussed during a full season.  Collaros might be the perfect "next Kevin Glenn".

Nichols: "fragile"?  That's a laugh.  The dude took an unblocked, full speed, full weight Lemon Drop fully on his back.  It busted his shoulder.  It would have busted Hulk Hogan's shoulder too.  That's not fragile, that's a Bryant mistake and an obvious outcome.  Is M.Reilly fragile?  Because he took the exact same hit with slightly different arm position, and oh look, he broke his wrist into dozens of shards.  Nichols took a ton of hits last year and this and he's had very few, never twice in the same place, injuries.  Is that 3 injuries in 8 years in the CFL?  That's not fragile, that's normal.

Bonus points for Nichols: no way he negotiates a monster contract after <200 yard games and injury-bench for most of 2019.  He'll ask for the same $$ and probably accept less.  He likes it here.  Why on earth would he want to go play for the few teams that would want him and get killed by their garbage OLs??

Strev: Current best SY player in the league, almost as good as LeFevour was.  And can start in a pinch.  Now we know we we don't start him for longer than it takes to find a passing starter should our #1 go down.  But he'll win 50% of the games in a pinch.  And I really love the system we were developing with Strev taking a bigger role in the Nichols offence.  Why not stick with that?  Each time Strev improves his pass game we get that much more dangerous.  And why would he want to leave?  No one is going to start him as #1, nor are they giving him a big payday as the SY guy.  Most teams will want #2 to be a strong passer.  Nope, Strev stays here and stays very affordable.

McGuire: Odd man out because of asinine only-2-QB Ambrosie nonsense in 2020.  That's the end of the CFL developing QBs.  They either light it up on their very first time on the field or they won't be here.

Masoli: Fully agree with most that he's literally the only other realistic QB option I'd like to see here.  I've been high on Masoli since 2 years before he became the #1 in HAM.  Real blue collar guy would fit right in.  Would also fit with the Lapo O scheme.  But I like Nichols better for continuity's sake.  And why would Masoli choose to come here?  Not sure it's his #1 (or 2 or 5) choice.  And Masoli will demand far more $$ than Nichols.

MBT: The league's crazy man.  That guy is nuts, and I really like watching him play.  If he's cheap, and Nichols abandons us, and Masoli says no, I'd take MBT as #1 in WPG.  But then we'd need a new OC because MBT is the opposite of a Lapo scheme.  MBT also seems to have trouble as a leader of men.  Seems like a Cato.  Could easily lose the team.  Not really MOS's M.O..  Call him a long shot.

My 2c.

Status quo? I sure as hell hope not!

No Arbuckle description. FA to be and not even a blurb? lol cannot take this post seriously without that. Arbuckle has the most upside of any QB heading into free agency. To say he is a product of the team around him is ridiculous. He has shown he can make all the throws to perform at a super high level in this league.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
bluebeard

« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2019, 05:08:30 PM »

Dave Dickenson did not want Arbuckle cut previously but was over ruled.  He went to BC the next season and was cut. He was scooped by Dickenson and returned to Calgary.  He played brilliantly when Levi was injured.  Arbuckle's stats were better then Levi's prior to his injury.

I am a firm believer in D Dickenson knowing what his QBs can do or not do.  Wanting Arbuckle back says a lot to me.
lenny

« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2019, 06:24:50 PM »

Collaros takes the Bombers to the promised land and wins it that alone should give him first dibs on a contract. I don't think it would be a contract he would want though as it would have to be heavily weighted to performance which presumes durability.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »

Status quo? I sure as hell hope not!

No Arbuckle description. FA to be and not even a blurb? lol cannot take this post seriously without that. Arbuckle has the most upside of any QB heading into free agency. To say he is a product of the team around him is ridiculous. He has shown he can make all the throws to perform at a super high level in this league.

I forgot Arbuckle, but I've commented on him previously.  I agree with the "product of the CGY system" people.  Besides the best OL and amazing CGY system, Arbuckle had freakin' Rogers and Begelton as well as all the noobs who as always light it up for CGY.  Any QB would look good with Begelton.  I think with all those crosses he sports that he might in fact be the second coming.

You know I'm no Faker EDIT fan, but I'd probably rate EDIT above Arbuckle.  EDIT is making it happen with a sub-par O.  Sure, Arbuckle is "good", but I'd peg him at best as middle-of-the-pack good.  No one to go chasing after.  He's no better than Nichols, who would also look great in the CGY system.

And if I was Dickerson The Greater I would retain Arbuckle in 2020 because he's good enough to win and knows the CGY system as well as BLM.  Arbuckle is smart enough to know it's better as #2 winning in CGY than taking a bit more money to start on a garbage team in the east and then disappear after underperforming.  If he plays his cards right he could be heir apparent to BLM who isn't getting any younger.

As such I don't think Arbuckle warrants any attention on our part, and any discussion is pointless because he won't leave CGY.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:23:05 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

Never go full Rider!
Jesse

« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »

I forgot Arbuckle, but I've commented on him previously.  I agree with the "product of the CGY system" people.  Besides the best OL and amazing CGY system, Arbuckle had freakin' Rogers and Begelton as well as all the noobs who as always light it up for CGY.  Any QB would look good with Begelton.  I think with all those crosses he sports that he might in fact be the second coming.

You know I'm no Faker EDIT fan, but I'd probably rate EDIT above Arbuckle.  EDIT is making it happen with a sub-par O.  Sure, Arbuckle is "good", but I'd peg him at best as middle-of-the-pack good.  No one to go chasing after.  He's no better than Nichols, who would also look great in the CGY system.

And if I was Dickerson The Greater I would retain Arbuckle in 2020 because he's good enough to win and knows the CGY system as well as BLM.  Arbuckle is smart enough to know it's better as #2 winning in CGY than taking a bit more money to start on a garbage team in the east and then disappear after underperforming.  If he plays his cards right he could be heir apparent to BLM who isn't getting any younger.

As such I don't think Arbuckle warrants any attention on our part, and any discussion is pointless because he won't leave CGY.

Arbuckle is like three years younger than BLM and wouldn't be "smart" to sit behind a guy that's going to play for ten more years. That's ridiculous.

He's a competitive athlete and is going to want to get his shot. His agent is a business man is is going to get him maximum value.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2019, 08:23:52 PM »

Who is EDIT  Huh

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »

Arbuckle is like three years younger than BLM and wouldn't be "smart" to sit behind a guy that's going to play for ten more years. That's ridiculous.

He's a competitive athlete and is going to want to get his shot. His agent is a business man is is going to get him maximum value.
^^ THIS! He?d be great with our OL.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2019, 10:30:08 PM »

Dave Dickenson did not want Arbuckle cut previously but was over ruled.  He went to BC the next season and was cut. He was scooped by Dickenson and returned to Calgary.  He played brilliantly when Levi was injured.  Arbuckle's stats were better then Levi's prior to his injury.

I am a firm believer in D Dickenson knowing what his QBs can do or not do.  Wanting Arbuckle back says a lot to me.

That's how I see it. Dickerson is a whinny little dude but he knows his QB's and knows what is necessary to win. And backing him up is the best GM in the league. I really don't want Nichols or Collaros or Strev back in 2020. Time for some changes from top to bottom.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2019, 11:47:48 PM »

I keep saying that if we keep the same OC that 1) Lapo will turn them into the same thing we have today, and 2) some may take a pass on coming here because he is the OC... after looking at both of these last 2 Calgary games due to how similar the final stats were, I decided to look at it even closer and see if my theory was right... to me, I think it does when you take a look at the data in the graphs below...

for starters, the top row, 1st column shows the number of each type of play called, GM2 shows we had 5 more plays in that game than GM1 and that was due to having several 3rd and 1's were we converted... the middle shows the number of plays that include the rushing plays and ONLY completed passes... as you can see there is a difference of only 1 play... the last column show offense by type, only 4 yds different total but approximately 100 yds difference between the 2 games in both rushing and passing...

for me, it's when you get to row 2 that it gets really interesting, like I said above, in both games there were 29 passing attempts... the 1st column shows the passes thrown by target receiver depth, whether complete or not... they are almost identical in targeted receivers by depth... also, when you look at column 2 you see the completions numbers by targeted depth are very similar as well... column 3 shows that completed pass and total yards gained by each reception...  all of row 3 is a consolidation of the same info of row 2 but instead of 5 yd increments it is done in 10 yards increments...

it looks to me that Lapo called the same exact game for each of these 2 quarterbacks... which makes you shake your head just a bit because why would you do so when you have one guy that is a 'running' QB and the other a much more proficient 'throwing' QB... it goes to my theory that regardless of player, Lapo is going to have them run a set game plan that may not necessarily suit them or their best skill set...

I believe that Collaros big difference in yardage has a lot to do with yards after the catch because when you look at the data the number of completions for each were very similar... so why did Collaros get more yards? I believe that it was because Calgary wasn't expecting that type of passing attack from Collaros, that given his abilities they were concerned about throws of all lengths... conversely, for Streveler, Calgary was playing up because they knew that it was going to be either a run or the short throw... Collaros made them play more 'honest'... the bad thing about that is when every figures that out and then any QB within that system will become less effective...

but why wouldn't you give your throwing QB a diffferent game plan, or play set, than you gave your running QB? Lapo is too wrapped up in making everyone fit into his box instead of helping his QB's and receivers be more successful...

if Lapo stays it will be more of the same regardless of who you plug in the QB slot...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2019, 12:08:10 AM »

If he gets to FA, I'm on the Masoli train.

Still have this gut feeling though ZC takes us on a magical trip to winning the Grey Cup this year...

Calling it right now.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
blue_or_die

« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:16 AM »

I really really want Strev back next year, but definitely not with our eggs in his basket as starter. I think he knows he still has work to do and has a great opportunity in Winnipeg to get the amount of work in short yard/special packages, etc that he wants, that he will sign an extension. QB1 is wide open for me, though. If one of the new guys (eg Arbuckle) or displaced guys (Masoli) shakes lose, I'm open to them to be our starter. I am also still open to Nichols again.

Having Strev as a competent and different-look #2 is a great weapon. We just need someone reliable and steady for our #1.

...or do we want to move away from "reliable and steady" altogether and go for a more exciting gameplan??

catfan

« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »

If he gets to FA, I'm on the Masoli train.

Still have this gut feeling though ZC takes us on a magical trip to winning the Grey Cup this year...

Calling it right now.

Zac may get you by Calgary and the Riders, but the Cats have got your number.
But I do hope you make it to the big dance, because I don't want to meet the stamps there.

chow Catfan
blue_or_die

« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »

Zac may get you by Calgary and the Riders, but the Cats have got your number.
But I do hope you make it to the big dance, because I don't want to meet the stamps there.

chow Catfan

Tough to win three games a year against the same team. Unless you're in a division where you play Toronto and Ottawa three times, I mean.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:08:55 AM by blue_or_die » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »

I don't believe the majority of potential offensive free agents really factor who the OC is in their decision. They might consider who the QB is more importantly but the CFL is now a " show me the money " situation for the most part. That and possible proximity to home for example.

We may lose Petermann in free agency out east. Money difference shouldn't be that significant. Family back east might be. Although if we lose Woli then Petermann could be next up as a starter rather than a back up.

Like always it's what happens 1st before the dominos start to fall.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »

I don't believe the majority of potential offensive free agents really factor who the OC is in their decision. They might consider who the QB is more importantly but the CFL is now a " show me the money " situation for the most part. That and possible proximity to home for example.

We may lose Petermann in free agency out east. Money difference shouldn't be that significant. Family back east might be. Although if we lose Woli then Petermann could be next up as a starter rather than a back up.

Like always it's what happens 1st before the dominos start to fall.

I'm pretty happy with the receiving corps. overall, with Woli, Adams, Bailey and Lawler they've finally increased the size factor and have moved away from the smurf element. Increased size helps in the passing game fighting for balls as well as with blocking assignments on any play.  I have no problem with keeping Whitehead, Nelson and Petermann if they want to stick around but they should only be used as backups or as specialty players. I think Whitehead has the potential to transform into another Brandon Banks if he's persistent enough to keep at it, but then again the opportunity for him to excel may not be present in this offence.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: