Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 05:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44553 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2019, 04:59:01 PM »

I'm not sure why you're tying yourself in knots defending Streveler, I believe you've already stated that you don't wish to see him start in the playoffs or be given the starters job next season....most of us agree, so what is the point of carrying on with your argument?  I'm pretty sure everybody on this board likes Streveler and wants to keep him around as the #2 QB next season, giving him more time to develop and grow into the passing game, it's in our best interest to see what he can become....but he's clearly not ready yet.  Sorry but your argument supporting him as "he's just as good as ______", is built upon a lot of, "what if's" and "it's the other guy's fault" to be plausible.

I wasn't defending Streveler when Lincoln and I was first discussing this... all I did was put up some stats between the two games as I found strange/funny how similar they were from one game to the next, down to the number of completions at the various depths and how one wins and the other loses... that was it...

however, I get "whatever his name is" calling me out and talking about what a crappy job Streveler did... blah.. blah... blah... combine that with all the glowing talk about Collaros came in and did the unimaginable and he's going to save the day and lead us to the promised land (cough, cough) while Streveler becomes guilty of clubbing seals... oh well, I should be use to this crap by now...

I recognize and appreciate what Streveler has done for the Bombers in a relief role, playing hard to try and win and to keep the momentum going for us into the playoffs... others act like he should be parking cars somewhere instead of playing football... the guy has played better than most are giving him credit for and played well enough that he should be at least 5-3 in not 6-2... he's done nothing over this stretch that cost us a game...

Collaros barely breaks 200 yds passing, 10 of which was actually a running play but because he drops the ball 6" into Demski's hand instead of placing it directly into this hands it's a pass play, lol, and you would have thought based upon the reaction here that he threw for 400 yards... yet Streve has averaged 255 yds of offense per game over the last 8 games he started and now, because he has rushing yards in there, it's not good enough, even though it's more than what Collarso had last week or what Matt averaged over the first 9 games this year... he's running the ball on a running team, what's the problem as long as he gets the production?

people act like we got blown out by the Stamps two weeks ago and it was all his fault... which isn't the case... we lost by 4 pts., while scoring 33 pts, on the road, to the team that is hands down each year favored to go to the Grey Cup... <<shakes head>>

yes, I was high on Streveler and thought he had a lot of potential... it hasn't really worked out like I thought it would... Lapo has done to him the same thing he did to Nichols... but moving forward, you had better believe that who the OC is here for next year will play a huge role in who, or if, any FA QB signs here...

as far as your last sentence in your comment... total crap... I've not said he's better than anyone and the only 'if' I have used was 'if' the defense could actually stop someone sometime when others have done enough to win... nothing different than what has been said by almost everyone single person here this year... but, if people are going to lie or mislead others here, I'm going to point it out, regardless of who the player is... a whole of lot opinion being presented as fact the majority of time around here...

How about the points that the D gave us? If not for that, it is over at the half. You had a fumble for a TD and and a pick almost in the red zone that led to a quick score. The Strev offence scored 6 points in the whole second half. 6 points. Last 2 possessions a turnover on downs and an interception. My point is this. You are comparing these 2 games and throwing in ifs and buts. What I said was that with the game on the line, Collaros delivered. Streveler did not. Pretty straightforward.

I am not saying Collaros is the answer to all our prayers. It was one game. And he ended it just fine. I enjoyed it.
  I will add this. There is a reason that our OC leans heavily toward running plays for Streveler. The guy is not an accurate passer nor does he read well. It is risk and reward.

for starters, the crap that I put in bold in you comments above is a straight up lie... there were no 'ifs and buts' in my original post on the topic... I just pointed out how I found it funny how similar the numbers were between the 2 games yet had different out comes...

but if you're looking to pick a fight with me you're going to have to do a better job of keeping up... all that crap you're talking about now?  I have already addressed and covered a few post back... I have neither the desire or the energy to rehash it all again because you haven't seen/read it yet...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »

after posting this I got to thinking... you know me and Lincoln Locomotive had good conversation about this very topic yesterday... it's was respectful and very adult like... we were able to express our opinions and share our thoughts with out demeaning or talking bad about anyone or having it be some kind of fight to prove one is more right than the other, or with anyone walking away being mad or with hurt feelings...

that was really nice and I truly enjoyed it...  so, I thank you Mr. Lincoln, as it's always a pleasure conversing with you and I want you to know how much I appreciate you...

longtimeblue

« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »

I wasn't defending Streveler when Lincoln and I was first discussing this... all I did was put up some stats between the two games as I found strange/funny how similar they were from one game to the next, down to the number of completions at the various depths and how one wins and the other loses... that was it...

however, I get "whatever his name is" calling me out and talking about what a crappy job Streveler did... blah.. blah... blah... combine that with all the glowing talk about Collaros came in and did the unimaginable and he's going to save the day and lead us to the promised land (cough, cough) while Streveler becomes guilty of clubbing seals... oh well, I should be use to this crap by now...

I recognize and appreciate what Streveler has done for the Bombers in a relief role, playing hard to try and win and to keep the momentum going for us into the playoffs... others act like he should be parking cars somewhere instead of playing football... the guy has played better than most are giving him credit for and played well enough that he should be at least 5-3 in not 6-2... he's done nothing over this stretch that cost us a game...

Collaros barely breaks 200 yds passing, 10 of which was actually a running play but because he drops the ball 6" into Demski's hand instead of placing it directly into this hands it's a pass play, lol, and you would have thought based upon the reaction here that he threw for 400 yards... yet Streve has averaged 255 yds of offense per game over the last 8 games he started and now, because he has rushing yards in there, it's not good enough, even though it's more than what Collarso had last week or what Matt averaged over the first 9 games this year... he's running the ball on a running team, what's the problem as long as he gets the production?

people act like we got blown out by the Stamps two weeks ago and it was all his fault... which isn't the case... we lost by 4 pts., while scoring 33 pts, on the road, to the team that is hands down each year favored to go to the Grey Cup... <<shakes head>>

yes, I was high on Streveler and thought he had a lot of potential... it hasn't really worked out like I thought it would... Lapo has done to him the same thing he did to Nichols... but moving forward, you had better believe that who the OC is here for next year will play a huge role in who, or if, any FA QB signs here...

as far as your last sentence in your comment... total crap... I've not said he's better than anyone and the only 'if' I have used was 'if' the defense could actually stop someone sometime when others have done enough to win... nothing different than what has been said by almost everyone single person here this year... but, if people are going to lie or mislead others here, I'm going to point it out, regardless of who the player is... a whole of lot opinion being presented as fact the majority of time around here...

for starters, the crap that I put in bold in you comments above is a straight up lie... there were no 'ifs and buts' in my original post on the topic... I just pointed out how I found it funny how similar the numbers were between the 2 games yet had different out comes...

but if you're looking to pick a fight with me you're going to have to do a better job of keeping up... all that crap you're talking about now?  I have already addressed and covered a few post back... I have neither the desire or the energy to rehash it all again because you haven't seen/read it yet...

I do not have any idea what you are getting all worked up about. None. You might want to touch base again with what you posted. #1 clearly starts with the word if. If the defence had held....... and so on. You start with an if and the but becomes a given. If we held them, but we did not.

Similar stats? That was kind of my original point. Numbers are numbers. Making plays when you need to was my point.

Similar situations. One QB got it done. One did not. No fight picking here. Just the facts. You need to relax.
longtimeblue

« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »

I am not putting the loss all on Strev. Love the guy, but in late game situations with limited time on the clock, you have to move the ball through the air. He could not. A for effort. C for talent.
theaardvark

« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »

2 qb's next year.  The last thing you want to do is make oe of those a guy that, while he may play an entire season, is also potentially gone after the third play... love the fact Collaros is going to take us deep in the playoffs, even win a cup.  But with only 2 QBs on the roster, the risk is too great.  Keep his number on speed dial, like every GM in the league...

Is Streveler the answer?  In some ways, he might be.  It makes an unconventional team, sure, but if you have an OC that can scheme for it, it could be that knuckleball pitcher that wins 20 games because no one can properly prepare for it. 

McGuire was kept over Bennett, for his upside, and has had nothing but praise from anyone who has seen him  play.  If we manage to bring in an Arbuckle or Evans/Masoli who do you want as #2?  Streveler or McGuire?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BlueGold8597

« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2019, 02:59:27 PM »

I think we'll see Nichols and Streveler back next year.

We were on the way to first place and who knows what else when Nichols got hurt.  They will give him the chance to continue that success next year.

Streveler will not get any starting QB offers thanks to his less than stellar passing when he got the chance.  Where else will he go?  I would imagine we'll be able to bring him back at a reasonable backup salary, use him in special packages and try to develop his passing to the point where he can become the number 1 some day.

That said, if Collaros somehow takes us on a deep playoff run all bets are off.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »

after posting this I got to thinking... you know me and Lincoln Locomotive had good conversation about this very topic yesterday... it's was respectful and very adult like... we were able to express our opinions and share our thoughts with out demeaning or talking bad about anyone or having it be some kind of fight to prove one is more right than the other, or with anyone walking away being mad or with hurt feelings...

that was really nice and I truly enjoyed it...  so, I thank you Mr. Lincoln, as it's always a pleasure conversing with you and I want you to know how much I appreciate you...
Thanks Chev....much appreciated!   Some posters will never change and that's a fact and sometimes it's difficult not to get sucked into their vortex of negativity.   The art of debate and logic are dying ones I'm afraid, however I participate in this forum because there are some posters such as yourself, who share the same style.   I appreciate the effort you put into your posts and for the most part I agree with most of your points and when we disagree it never turns into a testosterone induced pi$$ing contest between us.  

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Donny C

« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »

I think we'll see Nichols and Streveler back next year.

We were on the way to first place and who knows what else when Nichols got hurt.  They will give him the chance to continue that success next year.

Streveler will not get any starting QB offers thanks to his less than stellar passing when he got the chance.  Where else will he go?  I would imagine we'll be able to bring him back at a reasonable backup salary, use him in special packages and try to develop his passing to the point where he can become the number 1 some day.

That said, if Collaros somehow takes us on a deep playoff run all bets are off.

I would agree.

Had Streveler won a tons of games thenI think he'd be getting a job offer somewhere as the starter.
Blue72

« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

Many on here have seen what our QBs look like from TC and also practices so would any of you think that McGuire looks like a guy to keep around over the like of Streveler. We have seen what Streveler brings to the field, he likes to run before looking at all the receivers but he is very good at running. Not what you want from your starter, he needs more coaching in seeing what the defense shows and also his throwing is a bit weak.

But with the coaching staff that we have, our backups do not see the field at all unless our Starter is carried off the field and even then they put the starter back in. Could McGuire be the next up and comer we will never know, so far we have seen him on short yardage and one nice spiral which missed the receiver.

For me I find it pretty hard to spend over $500,000 on Nichols for next year, If Nichols didn't have Harris in the back field what would he really looked like as a starter and same goes for Streveler? Nichols can't take a hit anymore and if Streveler can't get his passing game going defenses will be hitting him like a RB and he won't see a full season.

If MOS moves on maybe our next coach will bring in his own QB and coaches to take us to the next step on the ladder, and maybe not so stubborn and don't give a starter position to a guy until he proves he is better then the rest. Nichols has proved he could move the ball but lately with all his injuries seems to throw the ball away sooner.
In Motion

« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »

I'm quite sure Collaros wants to go back East, but I really like him. Streveler is not a #1 QB in my books, but a fantastic #2.  I'm 50/50 on keeping Nicholls if he demands a lucrative salary. McGuire looks promising, but
who knows.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »

I'm quite sure Collaros wants to go back East, but I really like him. Streveler is not a #1 QB in my books, but a fantastic #2.  I'm 50/50 on keeping Nicholls if he demands a lucrative salary. McGuire looks promising, but
who knows.

If Collaros loses the next game I think he'll be quickly forgotten and only remembered as a late season rental that won a single game, not seen as a QB to build the future upon.  As for Streveler, he's not perfect but he brings a lot to the table with his great running ability, I don't think he'll become a legitimate starter anytime soon but I can see why an OC like LaPo would want to keep him around in a secondary role, if only to design "special" plays around.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:20:22 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »

I agree if the bombers don't win the WFS, ZC8 will a forgotten man. Right now he is the best chance we have to get to the GC, but what is that really saying. A few short weeks ago about 95% of the people on this board didn't want him here. However if Lapo can put together a good game plan with a one, two punch of ZC8 and Strv17, I think this O could get us to the GC.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2019, 06:08:40 PM »

I agree if the bombers don't win the WFS, ZC8 will a forgotten man. Right now he is the best chance we have to get to the GC, but what is that really saying. A few short weeks ago about 95% of the people on this board didn't want him here. However if Lapo can put together a good game plan with a one, two punch of ZC8 and Strv17, I think this O could get us to the GC.

isn't that funny! so true, but still so funny... lol...

GCn19

« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2019, 06:11:34 PM »

I would be fine with bringing back Nichols and Streveler. Unless we can get Masoli for a lot less than BLM or Reilly wage rates then I don't really see any better options. For those talking about Evans, fat chance, he is not a FA. Arbuckle...I'm not sold on him, I think he's a product of a very well oiled Stamps offence. Collaros, love his fire...but realistically no one in their right mind should roll the dice on his concussion history and I highly doubt anyone will. He will go to Toronto and hold a clipboard and that is the only place he will do that.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2019, 06:12:50 PM »

Many on here have seen what our QBs look like from TC and also practices so would any of you think that McGuire looks like a guy to keep around over the like of Streveler. We have seen what Streveler brings to the field, he likes to run before looking at all the receivers but he is very good at running. Not what you want from your starter, he needs more coaching in seeing what the defense shows and also his throwing is a bit weak.

But with the coaching staff that we have, our backups do not see the field at all unless our Starter is carried off the field and even then they put the starter back in. Could McGuire be the next up and comer we will never know, so far we have seen him on short yardage and one nice spiral which missed the receiver.

For me I find it pretty hard to spend over $500,000 on Nichols for next year, If Nichols didn't have Harris in the back field what would he really looked like as a starter and same goes for Streveler? Nichols can't take a hit anymore and if Streveler can't get his passing game going defenses will be hitting him like a RB and he won't see a full season.

If MOS moves on maybe our next coach will bring in his own QB and coaches to take us to the next step on the ladder, and maybe not so stubborn and don't give a starter position to a guy until he proves he is better then the rest. Nichols has proved he could move the ball but lately with all his injuries seems to throw the ball away sooner.

Streveler, based on what I've seen from McGuire in a few practices, is still the better prospect.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: