Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 05:15:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44543 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »

and Collaros dodged a bullet himself because he could have walked out of that game with 3 INTs instead of just 1... Darvin helped him out by breaking up a sure INT on a ball that never should have been thrown, something he didn't do the week before on a very similar bad throw in the end zone... and the INT drop by one of Calgary's player... a ball that hit him right between the numbers... I actually can't believe how he didn't catch the dang ball... it looked like he was the intended receiver... like I said, dodged a bullet...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn19

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »

I think Collaros's game is being a bit overblown because of the last several games of poor passing performance by our offence. I'm not trying to diminish Collaros's efforts but realistically his performance looked very similar to any of the games Nichols played this year imo.

It's like bizarro world in here right now. For the entire first half of the season people groused because Nichols was passing with high efficiency but it was ball control and low yardage. Collaros comes in and plays an almost mirror image Nichols game and he is being hailed as our starter next year. Makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:41:17 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2019, 03:49:27 PM »

and Collaros dodged a bullet himself because he could have walked out of that game with 3 INTs instead of just 1... Darvin helped him out by breaking up a sure INT on a ball that never should have been thrown, something he didn't do the week before on a very similar bad throw in the end zone... and the INT drop by one of Calgary's player... a ball that hit him right between the numbers... I actually can't believe how he didn't catch the dang ball... it looked like he was the intended receiver... like I said, dodged a bullet...
Yes he did....however both our QBs prior to Collaros playing have on any given day, dodged a few.    Let's keep in mind the fact that this guy only had a few practice sessions with the first team and has only been a Bomber for a few weeks before becoming our starter!!   His play in the final drive was stellar and he methodically marched us down into FG range with a combination of short passes and running plays...eating up the clock in the process and giving Medlock great field position for the winning FG.
I don't think this can be diminished by the fact that he threw some questionable balls while pulling this win out of the fire.   It was an inspired win and despite his stats being less than those of BLM we hadn't passed for over 200 yards in a game for awhile.   His quick feet, scrambling ability and a his downfield vision are superior to Nichols or Streveler.   His veteran presence and experience give us a legitimate shot at winning a Cup and prior to him signing not so much....even though I love Streveler!  Whether or not we continue with Nichols, Streveler or Collaros next season is something to be decided after the season ends....however for the immediate future Collaros is THE guy who might just turn this team around for a GC run....long shot though it may be!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:55:24 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »

I think Collaros's game is being a bit overblown because of the last several games of poor passing performance by our offence. I'm not trying to diminish Collaros's efforts but realistically his performance looked very similar to any of the games Nichols played this year imo.

It's like bizarro world in here right now. For the entire first half of the season people groused because Nichols was passing with high efficiency but it was ball control and low yardage. Collaros comes in and plays an almost mirror image Nichols game and he is being hailed as our starter next year. Makes no sense to me.

Yes he did....however both our QBs prior to Collaros playing have on any given day, dodged a few.    Let's keep in mind the fact that this guy only had a few practice sessions with the first team and has only been a Bomber for a few weeks before he became out starter!!   His play in the final drive was stellar and he methodically marched us down into FG range with a combination of short passes and running plays...,eating up the clock in the process and giving Medlock great field position for the winning FG.
I don't think this can be diminished by the fact that he threw some questionable balls while pulling this win out of the fire.   It was an inspired win and despite his stats being less than those of BLM we hadn't passed for over 200 yards in a game for awhile.   His quick feet, scrambling ability and a his downfield vision are superior to Nichols or Streveler.   His veteran presence and experience give us a legitimacy shot at winning a Cup and prior to him signing not so much....even though I love Streveler!

I agree with both of you... I was pleased with Collaros results, but not to the point that I'd ever consider signing him on for next year though...

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2019, 03:56:37 PM »

Well said. It seems like no matter who is behind centre, the passing game is mediocre at best. Seems like that's the system in place and as such, it is what it is.

As far as 2020 is concerned, I'm not sure if I'd entertain the option of either QB coming back, unless it's at a lower salary with some incentives mixed in. Personally, I'd rather see the team go after a FA QB, among other things (new OC, new DC).

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »

I agree with both of you... I was pleased with Collaros results, but not to the point that I'd ever consider signing him on for next year though...
Read my edited last post.....I'm talking about our chances this season and what happens after that is anyone's guess.   We won't know about Nichols recovery from shoulder surgery either and he's getting on.   Streveler needs to enroll in passing 101 and reading a defence 101 and isn't developing as I'd hoped.   He may yet prove to be more rounded but at the moment he is a liability as far as a passer goes and his stats back that up.   He will never survive for long as a CFL QB unless this happens, and relatively soon.

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
GCn19

« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »

Read my edited last post.....I'm talking about our chances this season and what happens after that is anyone's guess.   We won't know about Nichols recovery from shoulder surgery either and he's getting on.   Streveler needs to enroll in passing 101 and reading a defence 101 and isn't developing as I'd hoped.   He may yet prove to be more rounded but at the moment he is a liability as far as a passer goes and his stats back that up.   He will never survive for long as a CFL QB unless this happens, and relatively soon.

Streveler definitely needs to improve as a passer. That being said he still has a relatively small amount of playing time and can develop. We all know what Nichols and Collaros's strengths and liabilities are and I just don't know if either are a fit long term. If I had to pick one it would be Nichols, but that is only because Collaros offers no chance of staying healthy with his concussion history and dependability at QB is paramount.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Point of attack

« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »

Should it be a surprise that many folks are excited about any QB who many had written off as a viable option ,who wins a game...let alone against arguably the best team in the league with minimal prep time ?
Really? When the names of Khari and Dunigan came up as a comparable, what else do you need to hear???
(Not comparing abilities just how long it?s been)
  The analytical comparison of stats between Streveler and Collaros really gave me cramps though. Are you kidding? How about this stat, Collaros is not only our best option right now ,he?s our only option.
  As for next year so many variables are in play and given the BB lack of success luring FA QBs of the top tier you would at least consider the MN ZC combination given their current standing in the QB pecking order of the CFL.
  Speculation about next year will hopefully get more interesting in the next couple of weeks and even more folks can get excited.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:15:28 PM by Point of attack » Logged
blue girl

« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »

I apologize. I didn't realize that we would give up 2 draft picks however I'm still not sure I that Collaros isn't the answer. Streveler certainly isn't it. If Nichols can recover from his shoulder injury I'm not opposed to re-signing him. I just want the best option to win the Grey Cup ASAP.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2019, 11:16:57 PM »

I apologize. I didn't realize that we would give up 2 draft picks however I'm still not sure I that Collaros isn't the answer. Streveler certainly isn't it. If Nichols can recover from his shoulder injury I'm not opposed to re-signing him. I just want the best option to win the Grey Cup ASAP.
bottom line wherever it is the starter I think we need 2 starter type QB options as starter. MaGuire I think could be a great number 2
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:39:29 AM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2019, 11:49:28 PM »

bottom line wherever it is the starter I think we need to starter type QB options as starter. MaGuire I think could be a great number 2

huh?

Blue In BC

« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2019, 12:21:00 AM »

huh?

Well he made 1 nice pass. In Winnipeg fans will jump on the next " prospect " faster than a hungry dog on a steak bone. Smiley

No more excuses.
longtimeblue

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »

What we saw was a QB who made plays when he had to. With the game on the line and winnable. With our defence you simply must use up all the clock.  It is just one game, but it was fun to watch and renews a little hope for a playoff run. Next year is next year.

There will be some quality QBs available. Strev is not a complete QB and Nichols is not a clutch QB. I really hope we make a move.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2019, 12:40:52 AM »

Well he made 1 nice pass. In Winnipeg fans will jump on the next " prospect " faster than a hungry dog on a steak bone. Smiley

no he had a great pre season and camp as well. Look at Evans Look at Arbuckle Look at Jar Jar Do. Their is always a chance. Maybe the scouts found a goody? That?s all I am saying. Frick people.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
longtimeblue

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2019, 12:55:19 AM »

are you sure?  maybe it isn't by personal preference, but, but let's see how the 2 games compared to each other... I'll list the stats for each of the last 2 games that we played against Calgary and will identify them by QB1A and QB1B...

QB1A                                    QB1B
 315     total offensive yards     324
28:44    time of possession     31:58
  20           first downs              21
    4          2 and outs                2
    6              punts                   3
   -1       turn over margin         0
 7/75      penalties #/yds        5/75
    1             sacks                    1
    1        sacks allowed             1
  W40   avg start yd line         W41

RECEPTIONS BY TARGET DEPTH
      QB1A                 QB1B
       15      0-5 yds      13
        3      6-10 yds      2
        2     11-15 yds     2
        0     16-20 yds     0
        1     21-25 yds     1
        1      26+ yds       0
      2/4   20+ Comp    1/2
       36       LONG        34

so, which QB won their game? QB1A or QB1B?  QB1A is Collaros, he scored fewer pts and won than QB1B while Streveler bested or was equal to QB1A in the majority of the stats for each individual game...  winning fixes everything... I guess...

SCORING DRIVES IN YARDS:
Collaros: 73, 55, 51, 38, and 25 yards
Streveler: 70, 52, 52, 41, 30, and 25 yards

Sometimes it is more about when you move the ball. Not the numbers. Streveler did squat, late, with the game on the line. Could not hit a receiver. And yeah, he was banged up, but he was in there. That is another thread. Collaros has had one game and we should not get too excited. But, if you are comparing these two games specifically, Collaros delivered in the clutch. Strev did not.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: