Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2020, 08:57:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 40548 times)
Cheesebuster

« on: October 26, 2019, 06:52:56 AM »

Both are free agents at the end of the year. Streveler too. As of right now, before the playoff game gives us more information, who would you take?

I'm still a Nichols fan. This team has done nothing but lose the last decade or so except when Nichols is playing. He ain't the flashiest QB, but I'd still want him playing over anyone else. Collaros put in a great game today though, and I expect a lot of people to give him the reigns.

What say you Bomber fans?
Blitzer

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »

I wish they could keep all 3. I would chose Callaros (and Streveler) because of their scrambling ability.
DarkDays

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »

I don't envy the team this decision.  Can't keep all three, unless Zach wants to play for peanuts, or entirely for performance bonuses.

I love what Collaros brings.  He makes throws with an accuracy and power Nichols lacks.  Unfortunately, we won't have him for long.  I fear he would have a short season next year.

Nichols might have more longevity in this league, but we've seen his ceiling, and it's lower than Zachs. 

Love Strevvy as a backup.  I know the ratio rules and the stupid new "only 2 QB's" rule are going to completely screw with any plans to use him in roles other than a quarterback.  That's too bad.  If the CFL wasn't so stupid on QB rules, Stevvy would be perfect for the kinds of roles Tayson Hill gets to fulfill in New Orleans.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »

I don't envy the team this decision.  Can't keep all three, unless Zach wants to play for peanuts, or entirely for performance bonuses.

I love what Collaros brings.  He makes throws with an accuracy and power Nichols lacks.  Unfortunately, we won't have him for long.  I fear he would have a short season next year.

Nichols might have more longevity in this league, but we've seen his ceiling, and it's lower than Zachs. 

Love Strevvy as a backup.  I know the ratio rules and the stupid new "only 2 QB's" rule are going to completely screw with any plans to use him in roles other than a quarterback.  That's too bad.  If the CFL wasn't so stupid on QB rules, Stevvy would be perfect for the kinds of roles Tayson Hill gets to fulfill in New Orleans.

I agree with all of these comments!  It would be great to keep all three, each brings unique strengths to the table.   We witnessed Collaros' amazing arm strength.  I forgot what it looks like to see a Winnipeg QB chuck the ball with such authority, sometimes down low and accurate, sometimes a well-placed Hail Mary.

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
DarkDays

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »

I agree with all of these comments!  It would be great to keep all three, each brings unique strengths to the table.   We witnessed Collaros' amazing arm strength.  I forgot what it looks like to see a Winnipeg QB chuck the ball with such authority, sometimes down low and accurate, sometimes a well-placed Hail Mary.

Zach's play made my house play a game after the final whistle:

Name the last Bomber quarterback in your memory who made throws like that?

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
limodriver

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »

Khari?
lenny

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »

I'm going to veer a bit. In this order: Masoli then Collaros. Strev as backup.
limodriver

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »

Nichols wouldn't have been able to make the same TD throw to Adams, but he would have been able to get rid of the ball earlier to one of his primary receivers, and likely get the score.  Zach said that Wolitarsky was open early, but he missed it
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »

Collaros injury history is still a concern. Then there is the issue of giving up a 1st round pick to re-sign him. Some posters were calling Nichols damaged due to his injury history and at this point we aren't even sure if he'll be ready for TC.

Masoli will be a potential free agent but might have the highest SMS cost but no 1st round pick involved.

Streveler is unique in a different way. He still has upside and I'd like him back.

McGuire appears to have the ability to throw. Obviously inexperienced but I'd think he'll be back to compete at TC until the dust settles at least.

Then add in the possible 2 QB roster to the equation.

It will be a big topic during the off season in Winnipeg. I have no idea who we'll end up getting.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:26:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 01:28:16 PM »

It?s going to be an interesting off season as I?m sure as the playoffs play out, collaros s stock is going to rise more. We just saw his first game in over a year and the dude can still play. He?s smart, escapes pressure and continues to read the field and then tries to make plays. We haven?t seen that in like forever.

I d go hard after Collaros and failing that Masoli and get one of the 2. We need a Qb that has the escapabikity and doesn?t play like some old man back there and at the first sign of pressure or receivers covered plays it safe and throws the ball away. Throw the dam thing and give your receivers a chance to make a play on the ball. Our recievers must be elated with zack at the helm, finally they get truly involved in the game instead of running 5 yard curl patterns

Of course Toronto and Ottawa will be looking for QBs as well but I wouldn?t lose the battle for them. Perhaps Walters goes for masoli as it would save giving up a 1st round pick but I want our next Qb to have escapability, the ability to make things happen when the original play breaks down and can read a defense and right now we haven?t had that guy in decades
NewBlue

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »

Ya, due to the conditional pick if we do sign ZC, its not worth the gamble. Gotta go with Matty & Strev.
Speaking of which did you guys see Strev on the sidelines with the "Game Manager" hat on?  LOL.

I've also liked what we've seen from McGuire....if $$ becomes an issue its possible he becomes the backup.
TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »

I loved the way Collaros played last night, but that's a one in a row situation.

Without injury concerns I'd go Collaros, Streveler, Nichols
With injury concerns I'd go Arbuckle, Streveler

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
longtimeblue

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »

Nichols wouldn't have been able to make the same TD throw to Adams, but he would have been able to get rid of the ball earlier to one of his primary receivers, and likely get the score.  Zach said that Wolitarsky was open early, but he missed it

On that play Nichols would never have escaped the pass rush and if by chance he did, the only receiver he would have found would have been a spectator around row 6.
dd

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »

That?s the biggest difference, is his desire to make something happen not just go through his reads, then chuck it into the stands he didn?t want to get sacked or heaven forbid throw a pick snd tarnish his beloved stats. Make a dam play with the ball, and that?s what collaros does. He brings another dimension to the table for sure and with him, the play isn?t over if guys are covered, he tries to make things happen. and yes, he?s likely going to throw a few more picks but **** he s going to generate a ton more offense and is she i of a lot more fun to watch
BigBomberFan

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

Tough decision. Collaros and Nichols both have a football smarts that put them neck and neck. Collaros seems to be a bit better with the accuracy on the deep ball, and his mobility in the pocket--especially that one where he rolled out and made the pass to Adams--is better. I'm thinking that he might be a bit more risky than Matt with longer throws; Nichols plays it more conservative with double coverage throws to avoid interceptions. They are both pretty much the same age, and while Collaros has the more concerning of the two's injury history, Nichols' injuries this year are concerning, plus he has a history of injury (anyone that remembers the game when he played for Edmonton where he had that horrific ankle twist injury is still one of the relatively few CFL injuries where I can remember on a short list and shudder that I'd never wish that injury upon any football player).

Nichols may have more loyalty to Winnipeg due to having been here longer and also because we committed to him as a starter in this league, however, Collaros may feel as loyal, due to that we took a chance on him when he was basically given up on, especially late in the season. If one were to write a movie script of the underdog being given another chance at redemption, the story is still writing itself here. Collaros seems to already have a great personal rapport with the players. Also, O'Shea being here or not being here next year would likely play into it.......he'd be more loyal to Nichols, as it's still Nichols' team in his eyes, whereas another coach may be more neutral. And of course, whichever QB leads us to a GC win would (you would think) obviously would get the job for next year, so it would also depend on how Collaros does in the playoffs, too.

Streveler has lots of great points, but he's just not ready to take the lead as a starter right now and needs another 1-3 years to really work on some of his instinct and decision making in game time. On the last drive last night, I was wondering if Streveler was in, whether he would have tried to make a heroic TD pass and got intercepted, and/ or left enough time on the clock for Calgary to come back. Collaros was smart to kill the clock with conservative plays that moved us as close as possible into field goal range.

The mention of Masoli is interesting. I love Masoli, but his injury this year puts him as damaged goods, plus he also likes to run, and we've seen what happens with that. Collaros, himself, started to loosen up the nuts and bolts for something to fall off by running too much, and Streveler obviously has, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: