Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2020, 06:30:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - . Calgary @ Winnipeg - Oct. 25 @ 7:30 pm CT  (Read 16089 times)
rubanski

« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »

The question is can you out bid the Argos for him?(Zac) They have offer him a job next year.

You may have to cut loose Nichols to pay him plus some.

Catfan

You've said that a few times. If I'm Toronto with unlimited QB money I'm definitely chasing Masoli first, and probably Arbuckle second. Zach showed he can play, but you can't ignore the injury history....
Pigskin

« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »

With Strv17 backing up ZC8, I don't think we would need luck to beat the Riders.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »

Agree on part of this...should have taken care of business and won in Toronto and Montreal.  No blame but the bombers...if we play sask and beat them it won't be lucky - how you get to that conclusion is beyond me ...

I get there simply due to the game will be played in the Riders home park and will be a sell out. Lots of noise etc. The Rider defense is as good as any in the league and their OL is coming around. And with a Richie Hall defense you never ever know what will happen. I think the game will be close and a very good game however I have absolutely zero faith in a Richie Hall defense showing up when you need them to.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »

I get there simply due to the game will be played in the Riders home park and will be a sell out. Lots of noise etc. The Rider defense is as good as any in the league and their OL is coming around. And with a Richie Hall defense you never ever know what will happen. I think the game will be close and a very good game however I have absolutely zero faith in a Richie Hall defense showing up when you need them to.

I've had issues with Hall's defenses--and they certainly have cost us late in certain games and Calgary were moving the ball lots last night--but on Calgary's final drives, we'd stopped them and forced them to punt; not even getting in field goal range. Even the staunchest of Hall detractors have to at least give him that. And Calgary are notorious for coming back and winning on those sorts of things--they did that versus the Riders recently.
Blue In BC

« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »

I've had issues with Hall's defenses--and they certainly have cost us late in certain games and Calgary were moving the ball lots last night--but on Calgary's final drives, we'd stopped them and forced them to punt; not even getting in field goal range. Even the staunchest of Hall detractors have to at least give him that. And Calgary are notorious for coming back and winning on those sorts of things--they did that versus the Riders recently.

I give the Bomber defense credit for stopping the Stamps last drive ( sort of ). The Stamps threw 2 passes and didn't complete either. Logic would have suggested 2 running plays to burn down the time more. Either way pressure / coverage helped make the Stamps punt which is what we needed. At that point the 58 minutes before that punt were already done.

We'll never know how things would have turned out if there was 40 seconds less than we ended up with. Harris made that last run of about 14 yards which made the FG a lot easier than it might have been.

We only lost TOP by a couple of minutes and the 4th Q seemed about even.

Giving up a 1st TD drive covering 80 yards and 7 minutes was a tough way to start the game.

No more excuses.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »

The bombers will be finishing with a solid record - close to that of sask and Calgary and have taken the season series with Calgary.  They aren't  the horrible team some make them out to be.  They will be competitive and if they win I doubt it will be pure luck that does it for them. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:24:50 PM by The Zipp » Logged
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #261 on: October 26, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »

The bombers will be finishing with a solid record - close to that of sask and Calgary and have taken the season series with Calgary.  They are the horrible team some make them out to be.  They will be competitive and if they win I doubt it will be pure luck that does it for them. 

And on that we will have to agree to disagree - they finished with over a 11-7. Should easily have been 13-5. Not saying they are a horrible team. They are a reasonably average team in the Western Conference. And if they do pull out a victory in Regina in the WSF it will be due to Richie Hall's defense finally showing up. Which IMHO may take a lot of luck!
Blue In BC

« Reply #262 on: October 26, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »

Just finished re-watching last part of the game. Calgary got the ball with about 2:21 left. Two pass attempts. The 1st was a clear drop by Sindani. The 2nd should have been caught but was dropped. It appeared that last one might be 1 or 2 yards short of a 1st. Cant' tell what would have happened if either were actually completed.

Going to the pass the Stamps only used about 12 seconds. I assume not having a great run game and the Bombers expecting a run to burn time that passing made sense.

I don't think the Stamps are expecting their normal starting RB's back for the play offs. That's an advantage to an opponent that can stop the pass.

Bad, cold, wet, windy weather will be an advantage to a good running team.

Grey Cup here we come Smiley

No more excuses.
Tiger

« Reply #263 on: October 26, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »

Man, our defensive backfield is sad.

When you have an hour to throw the ball, the secondary tends to look that way.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Tiger

« Reply #264 on: October 26, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »

It might have had to do with the Toronto manager not wanting to give him up. It seemed as soon as Popp was fired the deal was done. Maybe they regret it now. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I was wondering the same thing, but that is a good point

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Blitzer

« Reply #265 on: October 26, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »

If I'm reading the stats correctly Calgary only had 45 yards rushing through the whole game and 33 yards the last week against the Bombers. They probably would have been stopped if they tried to run in their last drive. They're not a running team at all. All they do is pass. They had to pass.
Blue In BC

« Reply #266 on: October 26, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »

If I'm reading the stats correctly Calgary only had 45 yards rushing through the whole game and 33 yards the last week against the Bombers. They probably would have been stopped if they tried to run in their last drive. They're not a running team at all. All they do is pass. They had to pass.

Not arguing that wasn't the logic in passing. Whether they gained a yard or not in two downs it would have eaten up time which may have been the deciding factor.  Hindsight is always great in these situations.

Generally teams know you are going to run whether you have Harris or Litre. Usually teams are unsuccessful and need to punt trying to close out the game holding on to the lead.

In similar situations we've tried to run and protect the lead and failed. Calgary tried to pass and failed.

Like many things there is no right or wrong approach. It comes down to execution as much as anything else.

It was nice to beat a team trying to protect the lead this time around.

No more excuses.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #267 on: October 26, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »

Dont want to beat a dead horse .....  untill we hold a Cup i will not give any credit to our D as its been pretty crappy. It lost us huge games and points.

When our D can go win a game it will be nice....  but for the most part all year thats not the way its worked.

I wasnt a big fan of bringing in Zack but he looks pumped and motavated to win. Im on bored.

Our D needs to step it up and get this thing done.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Blitzer

« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2019, 07:35:27 PM »

I guess Calgary thought they could complete two 5 yard passes for a first down to hold onto the ball. They might re-think that the next game.
John T.

« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2019, 08:35:26 PM »

Just to put things into perspective:

We lost twice to Saskatchewan this season, both times in Regina. In both of those games we were playing our backup quarterback, and in one of them, we were missing Andrew Harris. Even so, both games were very close, and one was lost on a FG at the very end.

The one game the Bombers won against Saskatchewan was also without Harris and also with our backup quarterback, and it was a slaughter, basically.

We can beat Saskatchewan, the same way we beat them in the playoffs at Regina last year. The Bombers are considerably better right now that they were a year ago, and I'm not convinced the Riders are much better. No way can they beat the Bombers three times in one year at home.

I'm more worried about Calgary, because after last night, they're gonna be mad; however, we have the advantage of them being one of the all-time greatest choke teams.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19
  Print  

Jump to: