Blue Bombers Forum
August 03, 2020, 11:07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers cursed??  (Read 3679 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »

Do they? Or do some teams play BC twice without Reilly? Or Edm without Harris? Same teams yes but if they are healthy when you play them is luck. Part of sports.

like when we got Hamilton in the first game that Evans replaced Masoli, and he was in no way prepared to take over right then, I think we held them to something like 79 yards in the second half, but still lost... the schedule is the same for everyone... you win some, you lose some but it pretty much evens out over the year for everyone...

to me, the far more unfair thing with the schedule is forcing teams to play the same team back to back... especially when you draw the perennial division winner and have to play them twice in the last 2 games of the year...  or drawing a week 2 bye...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
BigBomberFan

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »

I'm not superstitious.  And I'm not a pagan.  But the football gods do have it in for us lately.  Especially this year.  It's been bad luck and curses all year.

1. Many tipped balls by our D lately where they go off in all sorts of wild directions but always land in the opponents' hands.  That's just not normal: it's statistically insane.  The 2nd MTL game is the first time a D tip goes into our hands all year.

2. Lemon trades over to BC from TOR and 4 days later he squashes Nichols and our season is screwed.  That's some crazy bad luck there.  I bet dollars to donuts if Lemon wasn't traded Nichols is still standing right now and we are #1 in the W.

3. MTL's comeback game: the coords were playing the odds that say the team never comes back from that.  And they were right.  Teams don't.  Unless you're cursed.  The odds of making that many consecutive big plays for 3+ drives, even when playing against air, are astronomically low.

4. Our schedule had us against nearly every team when they were strong, our rivals get the games when the other guys are weak.  Case in point: our EDM games.  Both tough games when EDM was #2 in the W (and everyone proclaimed them #1) and T.Harris was winning games left right and center.  Now SSK gets to play when it's Gorykill.  We played OTT when they were winning (remember how they creamed CGY?).  We played BC when they had MR.  We do all the hard work and SSK / CGY get the free bingo spot.

5. Refs still hate our guts.  Every game has some ticky-tacky call to prolong the other O's drive at critical times.  The Rogers mugging IC that kept their drive alive at a critical time when we had all the momentum, anyone?

6. AH getting PED'd.  Whether guilty or not, him being caught and punished for 2 of our most important games, that's football god punishment right there.

7. And they don't just hurt plays and cost us games: these little things all add up to demoralize the team (and fan base).  And since football is at least 33% morale, this is basically the nail in our coffin.

This was supposed to be our year.  Everyone saw it.  We were proving it in the W column.  Everyone was in high spirits, and the guys were unstoppable.  What the football gods giveth, they taketh away.

Ya, I'll believe in the curse.  It's as good as any reason to blame for the continued drought.

Heh heh heh......I'm not one to believe a lot in curses, but you make some great points. The tipped balls landing in the opposition's hands seemed like it was just bizarrely coincidental.

And heck, it's not even just current players. Hefney's conviction and arrest for selling drugs is some pretty bad mojo. Granted, he hasn't played for us for years and his career ending injury was when he was with Montreal, but still. Ditto for Max Hall--football career ends and then desperate times call for desperate measures. Then you had the QB graveyard here for Pierce, Jyles (was injured when we traded him to the Argos), Robert Marve (retirement), Willy. Then guys like Brink, Elliott, Goltz--all of whom never accomplished anything and pretty much went from the outhouse straight to the sewer.

I feel the same way about Montreal, almost like it's the curse of Calvillo or something......all those great years, and (this year notwithstanding), nothing but incompentency with however many fired coaches and GM's, Cato/ Crompton/ Durant/ Glenn/ Willy/ Manziel/ Troy Smith/ Brandon Bridge etc. Even Trestman has since failed as a coach, both in the NFL and with the Argos.
blue girl

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »

like when we got Hamilton in the first game that Evans replaced Masoli, and he was in no way prepared to take over right then, I think we held them to something like 79 yards in the second half, but still lost... the schedule is the same for everyone... you win some, you lose some but it pretty much evens out over the year for everyone...

to me, the far more unfair thing with the schedule is forcing teams to play the same team back to back... especially when you draw the perennial division winner and have to play them twice in the last 2 games of the year...  or drawing a week 2 bye...
IIRC when Masoli got hurt Hamilton had a 21-0 lead and unlike our defence their defence doesn't give up big leads. And no the schedule isn't the same for everyone. The Bombers had to play Calgary and Saskatchewan three times. A team in the east will only play them twice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: