Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 08:41:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Stampeders 10/19/2019  (Read 985 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: October 20, 2019, 01:29:23 AM »

The Blue Bombers had a chance in this game to win the series from Calgary for the first time since 2002 (2-0 sweep)... if the Bombers would have won they could have wrapped up the tie-breaker even though they meet again next week... though with the loss, it is all or nothing next week if we want at least a remote chance of a home play off game...

it was tough loss tonight... a good, well played and entertaining game despite losing... the Bombers were 'in' the game all the way up until the end... I think my biggest complaint tonigh on the loss is with coaching, both Lapo and MOS...

Lapo just confuses me... in our 2nd series we are moving the ball pretty handily, running the ball... we go with 5 straight running plays, moving the ball from our 43 to their 25... Demski just picked up 18 yards on a nice run... what's Lapo do next? 2 screen passes to kill the drive and we have to settle for a field goal... why not keep running the ball until they prove they can stop it...

the defense came to play early on... nice 'scoop and score' by Sayles... that put the Bombers out front early in the 2nd quarter...  and then the very next play for Calgary Rose picks him off... followed by the jet sweep for Lucky to score and all of a sudden it was a 9 pt lead for the Bombers... 20-11...  the Bombers scored 17 pts in 2 mins and 4 seconds...

but, you can't keep BLM down forever, brings his team right back down the field on the next possession and completes what looks like an impossible completion to Begelton who couldn't even see the ball coming he was so covered... to me, it sure looked like Calgary was off sides on the play though... you see the ref go up and say something to BLM after that TD throw... wonder what that was all about?

but not to be out done, Streveler leads the Bombers right back down the field to score a TD of their own with a 34 yd TD pass by Streveler to Lawler... say what you want about Streveler's passing, it isn't always pretty but he's been getting the job done...  Bombers go into the locker room at half time with a 27-19 lead over the Stampeders...

yet another instance where I just shake my head at Lapo and his play calling, it's not enough that Streveler hurts his wrist/hand/arm at the end of the 1st half, he insist on continuing to run him in the second half... even after coming up out of the pile looking like he could be done, he keeps on calling his number until he gets him knocked out of the game...

the entire second half was a see saw, back and forth game with the Bombers coming out on the short end of the stick , unfortunately... 33-37 was the final...

the roughing call on Jeffcoat right before the 3 min warning... that one was tough to take... it's not like Jeffcoat can remove his head off of his body to make the tackle, sure, he lowered his head but not to spear BLM, but to make the sack... plus, BLM was spinning out of the first contact and when he saw Jeffcoat coming he ducked his head as well... like I said, tough call... but, I'll admit, if the same hit was put on Streveler I would have wanted the call as well...

so, MOS sends Streveler back out for the last series... some of that good old 'loyalty to a fault' stuff going on here... I like Streveler, but, he shouldn't have gone back out there... and then when he attempts the first down with the run falling just a bit short, but, comes up gimp... well...  he should have been pulled then as it was obvious that he wouldn't be a running threat for the remainder of the game... not to mention it severely hampered his ability to scramble and I'm sure it effected his throwing ability, at least some...

not only did MOS risk Streveler's health by sending him back out there when it was clear that he wasn't 100%, he could have, and still may have, cost us much more for the rest of the season if Streveler is gimped going forward... I get the whole notion of letting Streveler finish the game thing, and it's his job, his team... but sometimes as the head coach you have to be the one to say 'no' and do whats best for the players and the team...

however, when Streveler had to come out of the game it appears that I was correct in my assertion that it would be McGuire coming in and not Collaros... the stage didn't seem to be too big from him, he looked very calm and comfortable... if his throw, which was a pretty ball, had been just 1 yard shorter we may have been talknig about a different out come to the game...

another observation today, where the heck was Willie?  Calgary totally neutralized him this evening and made him a complete non-factor in the game...

the up side to this evening is, we can play with Calgary... this should at least help to keep the Bomber's spirits high and motivated headed into the last regular season game of the year and the playoffs... I don't really think anyone had to much to hang their heads about tonight, other than the coaches...

by the numbers:
total yards: Winnipeg: 328 yds  -  Calgary: 370 yds
time of possession: Winnipeg: 31:58  -  Calgary: 28:02
passing yards: Winnipeg: 137 yds  -  Calgary: 337 yds
rushing yards: Winnipeg: 191 yds  - Calgary: 33 yds
punts: Winnipeg: 3  -  Calgary: 3
turn overs: Winnipeg: 4   -  Calgary: 3
penalties (#/yds): Winnipeg: 5/75 yds  -  Calgary: 3/20 yds
sacks: Winnipeg: 1  -  Calgary: 1
pass knock downs: Winnipeg: 3  -  Calgary: 4

fun facts:

Streveler added 85 yards rushing tonight bringing his season total 726 yards... prior to the start of the game, Streveler had 641 yards, the Bombers have not had two players with 600+ rushing yards in the same year since 1981 (William Miller and Obie Graves).

Andrew Harris moved up to #7 all-time last week at 13,984 yards, he added another 55 yards tonight bring his career total to 14,039 yards...  only 6 players have ever reached the 14,000 yard mark...

Justin Medlock has went 10 for 10 on FG attempts over the last 3 games since a 3 for 5 stretch before that...

Willie Jefferson has 12 QB sacks for a new career-high and is up to 22 across 2018-19 and 43 for his CFL career...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 01:48:04 AM »

A great game to watch and good battle.  Did better than expected.  We can beat him next time I hope and if not its still fun to watch.  Really enjoyed the ball game.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:53:10 AM »

A great game to watch and good battle.  Did better than expected.  We can beat him next time I hope and if not its still fun to watch.  Really enjoyed the ball game.

Just wow.

No more excuses.
Doublezero

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 01:55:12 AM »

Great summary and I agree 100%. Those two PI calls on Rios were costly too. And we took 75 yards in penalties which is uncharacteristic of the Bombers who usually play clean football. Bighill was neutralized (again) and seemed slow. He has not been himself this year. Also, in games like this one vs Stamps you need to scratch and grind for every point. So why don't we ever go for the 2 point convert attempt? Odds are you are going to get succeed once in awhile - except if you don't try. Those two pointers were the difference for Calgary. And as someone else said - why didn't we kick a single before the half? Also, its made no sense for OShea to challenge the RP call on Jeffcoat. Those calls are never overturned. He must know that. And if he challenged just to make a point then, well, he doesn't deserve to be a head coach.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:58:12 AM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 02:02:51 AM »

Great summary and I agree 100%. Those two PI calls on Rios were costly too. And we took 75 yards in penalties which is uncharacteristic of the Bombers who usually play clean football. Bighill was neutralized (again) and seemed slow. He has not been himself this year. Also, in games like this one vs Stamps you need to scratch and grind for every point. So why don't we ever go for the 2 point convert attempt? Odds are you are going to get succeed once in awhile - except if you don't try. Those two pointers were the difference for Calgary. And as someone else said - why didn't we kick a single before the half? Also, its made no sense for OShea to challenge the RP call on Jeffcoat. Those calls are never overturned. He must know that. And if he challenged just to make a point then, well, he doesn't deserve to be a head coach.

Agree Rios
Dissgree 2 pt, take points as our offense isn't polished
Agree challenge

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue girl

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:09:36 AM »

The first PI by Rios really hurt us as we had sacked BLM on second down and they would have been punting. Instead it kept a drive alive. As for the 2 point converts, Calgary has been doing this for a few years. The Bomber defence should have been prepared for them. They can't hurt you if you stop them.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 02:20:57 AM »

Rios' penalties on those two plays were costly, as they kept the drives going for Calgary when we could have taken some momentum away from them. Rios has made some bad plays at times; I wonder if this is the game that didn't unofficially cost him his job here.
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 03:37:05 AM »

No I think the bombers did better then you expected PJ, a lot of us knew the bombers had a good chance to win this game.
Doublezero

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 01:52:10 PM »

You could also say this game was lost in the trenches. Jefferson said prior to the game that the key would be pressuring Mitchell. That happened very intermittently. And while our O line valiantly made holes and for the rushing attack, Strev had precious little time to throw. Why Lapo has him stationary in the pocket is baffling but honestly If Streveler had the same kind of time Mitchell had to find receivers who knows?

Just gimme the rock.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »

a lot of talk going on the forum about how bad Streveler is, how he can't throw, etc... some even suggested that if Nichols would have been here the outcome may have been different, meaning Bombers win... so, I put together some more 'fun facts' for everyone to look at and consider...  but first, I'm going to give some additional info relative to Streveler's performance yesterday...

so, before Streveler got hurtin the 4th quarter he had led the Bombers on 9 drives... of those 9 drives the Bombers scored points on 6 of those drives, 1 passing TD by Streveler, 1 rushing TD by Whitehead, and 4 Medlock field goals...

up until that point the Bombers had only punted 2 times on the day and turned the ball over once by a Streveler INT...

up until that point Streveler was 15/19 (78.9%) passing for 111 yds, 1 TD, and 1 INT... the 4 incompletions included 1 drop by Whitehead on a screen, and 2 defended/knockdowns... one of those defended passes was a catch that was knocked out of the receiver's hands... so basically 1 bad/errant throw by Streveler up to that point...  also, of his 15 completions, there was a 34 yd TD pass to Lawler...

when you add Streveler's 111 yds passing to the 63 yds rushing that he had up until that point he had a combined 174 total yards... he'd go on to finish the game with 134 yds passing and 85 yds rushing for a total of 219 yds of offense...

after that 9th drive, the offense came off the field with a 3 pt lead over Calgary, 33-30...

overall, the 33 pts that the Bombers scored yesterday is the 2nd most pts allowed by Calgary for the entire season... the 37 pts that the Stampeders scored yesterday was the 2nd most pts scored by them for the entire season...

moving on... for comparison, I included below the game stats of the 2 times that we have played Calgary this year... the first time we played them Nichols was QB1, those numbers are listed as '1st GM'... the game yesterday with Streveler as QB1 the stats are listed as '2nd GM'...

points of particular interest are that in the 1st GM, the offense actually scored zero touchdowns while in the 2nd GM the offense scored 1 passing and 1 rushing TD... in the 1st GM Grant scored 2 TDs on punt returns... I mention this because there was some dissatisfied with the fact that the Bombers settled for field goals on 4 drives yesterday, which is exactly the same number of field goals in the previous game...

you'll also see that in game 2 the Bombers had more total pts and total yds as well as actually scoring 2 TDs by the offense... however, the numbers are very similar against the same opponent yet different games...

another stat that I didn't include below because I limited those to 'team stats' is the comparison of total offense by both QBs... Streveler had 134 yds passing and 85 yds rushing for a total of 219 total yds for game 2... Nichols had 177 yds passing and 4 yds rushing for a total of 181 total yds for game 1...

game totals:
total yards: 2nd GM: 328 yds  -  1st GM: 297 yds
time of possession: 2nd GM: 31:58  -  1st GM: 33:41
passing yards: 2nd GM: 137 yds  -  1st GM: 177 yds
rushing yards: 2nd GM: 191 yds  - 1st GM: 120 yds
total pts: 2nd GM: 33 pts  -  1st GM: 26 pts
offense passing TDs: 2nd GM: 1  -  1st GM: 0
offense rushing TDs: 2nd GM: 1  -  1st GM: 0
special team TDs: 2nd GM: 0  -  1st GM: 2
field goals: 2nd GM: 4  -  1st GM: 4
punts: 2nd GM: 3  -  1st GM: 5
turn overs: 2nd GM: 4   -  1st GM: 3
penalties (#/yds): 2nd GM: 5/75 yds  -  1st GM: 7/78 yds
sacks: 2nd GM: 1  -  1st GM: 2
pass knock downs: 2nd GM: 3  -  1st GM: 4

this information isn't meant to imply 1 QB being better than the other... the information provided above is not opinion but actual statistical information taken from the CFL web site... I simply provided this additional info to show that by comparison Streveler may not be as god awful as some would like to believe, that's all...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: