Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 07:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Alouettes 10/12/2019 - The Late Addition  (Read 1088 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: October 14, 2019, 08:27:34 PM »

sorry about the lateness of this thread but we had Homecoming this weeked for the Mizzou Tigers and I was in Columbia most of the weekend... actually had to watch the game live on my iphone, which works but isn't ideal, so, I watched the game again last night to have a better sense of what was going on, on the field...

for most of us this was a 'must win' game in order to have a shot at either winning the division or securing a home playoff game... well, win we did! Go Bombers!  it wasn't always pretty at times but it was for the most part a pretty complete effort by all three phases of our game; offense, defense, and special teams... each had their 'moments' that made you say 'what were they thinking?' but no big let down and we pretty much kept the game in check from the 2nd quarter on...

one of the big take aways for me was the offensive line... they allow Streveler to get sacked 5 times the week before and this week he was sacked none... and the majority of the time he had sufficient time to set and throw... I don't get how one week they are good and the next not so much, regardless of the opponent... however, they aren't the only group of Bombers that have shown this same trait this year so moving forward let's hope we get the 'good' O line for the rest of the season...

I think Streveler showed that given time and protection that he is a capable and serviceable passer... yes, he still had a few errant throws and a couple of picks on the day, but, he also had some really nice throws that were very accurate and showed both timing and touch...  he was only 15/25 for 174 yds but he did have a few drops in there so it wasn't a terrible day when you consider his 64 yds rushing... and if not for a shoe string tackle, he might have broke one for a TD as well...  always a threat once he crosses the LOS...

Streveler's INT at the end of the first half... it was a bad decision to throw that ball but it was obvious that he was going to throw it from the time the ball was snapped... he has to get over that type of thinking... however, I would love to see Darvin be more physical with the defender to break up that INT, even if it cost us an offensive pass interference penalty... at least we'd have a chance to get some points instead of turning the ball over... it's no different that defenders who intentionally hold a receiver when they know they're beat, actually it's the smart play... 

one note of interest about the day's passing was that there was a lot more balance in regards to target depth and receptions this week... we are so use to seeing so many short or screen passes, this week we saw passing at all depths...  we had 2 at 30+ yds, 5 at 10 to 29 yds, 4 at 1 to 9 yds, and only 3 at or behind the LOS for the day... again, balance is key to success and being less predictable...

the run... oh my, the run... I think the football gods troll me as it wasn't but just a few days ago I was asking the question of how being a running team in a passing league was working out for us, lol... well, when you can put up 266 yards running the ball I'd have to say 'pretty good', lol... man, don't I look a little foolish, lol...  but Harris showed up this week and had a great week running the ball... however, since I took my 'lumps', I'm going to also say that it was nice to see they actually did the one thing that I wanted to see them do; take the run to the outside and around the edge... I think that worked really worked for them as opposed to the repeated tries up the middle and made the defense have to consider where to defend even on running downs...  it looked good on them...

what can we say about the defense though... they forced 8 turn overs on the day, 3 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and 1 on downs... what an effort... and when the offense did slip up they were there to get the ball back for them and not allow Montreal to take advantage of our mistakes... much like I was saying about the O line, the D has been hit or miss this year as well, but when they are good they are very good...

another encouraging thing this week, we showed that we did actually know how to close out a game and did so... we were able to grind out yards, get first downs, and eat clock very effectively... something that we had struggled doing a lot this year and has cost us games before...

not much to really complain about this week, like I said, it wasn't always pretty but it was effective... we got off the losing streak... Streveler once again showed some progress instead of regressing... we were able to throw the ball and run at will on them... and the defense was solid and picked up some very important and game changing turnovers... returns for special teams looked better this week than they had in weeks... nice to see...

One person that really impressed me this week was Bailey... I want to see him in our line up each week if he continues to play like this... the guy hustles and shows he wants to play... plus, he has good hands, decent spend, and can be very physical... he has a nose for the ball and shows he knows how to help his QB when a play is breaking down by working his way back to him as a target... like this guy...

by the numbers:
total yards: Winnipeg: 414 yds  -  Montreal: 335 yds
time of possesion: Winnipeg: 34:53  -  Montreal: 25:07
rushing yds: Winnipeg: 240 yds  -  Montreal: 69 yds
passing yds: Winnipeg: 174 yds  -  Montreal: 266 yds
punts: Winnipeg: 4  -  Montreal: 5
turnovers: Winnipeg: 2  -  Montreal: 8
sacks: Winnipeg: 2  - Montreal: 0
pass knockdowns: Winnipeg: 5  -  Montreal: 1
penalties (#/yds): Winnipeg: 4/25  -  Montreal: 3/25

some other notes of interest relative to this week's game:

Bomber's Pass Defense - First 12 games: 280 yds passing allowed per game; Last 3 games: 382 yds allowed per game... we got back down to what we were allowing in the first 12 games this week by only giving up 266 yds passing...

Bomber's last 4 games - 4th Quarter Scoring: Winnipeg 3, Opponents 37... the Bombers been outscored in the 4th quarter 7 times in 2019 and in each of the last 3 games... we ended this trend as well this week by out scoring Montreal in the 4th quarter, 11 to 7...

With 556 career receptions, Andrew Harris is the CFL's all-time leader among pure Running Backs in pass receptions.  (Note re: Michael Clemons with 682 catches & Craig Ellis 580. They spent much of their careers as Receivers and not as RBs)

Streveler's 64 yds rushing brings him to a total of 641 yds for the season and breaks a 63 year old Bomber team record for QBs rushing yardage... (Buddy Leake 1956: 633 yds).

Over the last 2 games Winnipeg has thrown 42 & 40 passes compared to just 26.4 attempts per game prior to that.  This week we got back in line with our more reasonable passing attempt numbers by only throwing the ball 25 times...

Willie Jefferson already led the CFL with 12 knockdowns prior to this game, but, Mr. Jefferson added 3 more knockdowns to his already bloated total... no D lineman has led the CFL in PKDs since Fred Perry in 2006 (10)... that's saying something for a lineman...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:41:54 PM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

Nice post....enjoyed it!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
lenny

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »

Thanks!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:35:06 PM »

thx guys! I try to give you something that isn't completely obvious, something that you wouldn't see or notice just by watching the game as a fan... sometimes there are those hidden gems, sometimes there isn't, lol...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:38 PM »

added this edit as well, it was another sign that we are learning and getting better as a necessity:

"another encouraging thing this week, we showed that we did actually know how to close out a game and did so... we were able to grind out yards, get first downs, and eat clock very effectively... something that we had struggled doing a lot this year and has cost us games before..."

it was nice to actually enjoy seeing the game closing without the heart racing a 1,000 miles per hour hoping we can just hang on, lol...

bomb squad

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 09:50:34 PM »

Streveler is progressing and looks a little more comfortable and confident with each outing. It certainly helps him when Harris has the type of game he did. It was good enough to beat a quality team like Montreal fairly convincingly at home. We will find out whether he will be just that much better to beat BLM and/or Fajardo on the road at playoff time. I think there is a chance. He needs to stay on the field though or we are done.
swansong

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 11:06:46 PM »

Streveler is progressing and looks a little more comfortable and confident with each outing. It certainly helps him when Harris has the type of game he did. It was good enough to beat a quality team like Montreal fairly convincingly at home. We will find out whether he will be just that much better to beat BLM and/or Fajardo on the road at playoff time. I think there is a chance. He needs to stay on the field though or we are done.

Also helps when LaPo calls plays that allow him to get the ball out quickly. I don't know wth he was thinking against Sask but he pulled his head out of his butt in this one.
swansong

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 11:16:11 PM »

Streveler's 64 yds rushing brings him to a total of 641 yds for the season and breaks a 63 year old Bomber team record for QBs rushing yardage... (Buddy Leake 1956: 633 yds).

Leake did it on 156 carries. Strev has done it on 112...wow.
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »

Buddy Leake was recruited by the Blue Bombers in 1955 as a HB who could throw the ball. When Bobby Freeman refused to report to training camp, Leake became the next man up. Leake started 14 of 16 games at QB for Winnipeg in 1955 and he played the majority of a 15th game.

In 1956, the Blue Bombers had a true QB in Eagle Day. Although Buddy Leake was listed as the backup QB, he was a starting HB for the entire season. Most of Leake's rushing total for the 1956 season was from the HB position.

In 1957, Winnipeg now had Kenny Ploen backed up by Chuck Curtis and Barry Roseborough. Buddy Leake played exclusively from the HB position.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers record for rushing yards by a QB was Kenny Ploen (1960) with 541 yards.

@Stats_Junkie
Blitzer

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 12:18:03 AM »

Thanks for the post 66Chevelle. That's great info. Bombers might be peaking at exactly the right time. They could run the table. Grin
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 12:23:59 AM »

Leake did it on 156 carries. Strev has done it on 112...wow.
Still 2 games to go as well and he's 6th in rushing with Fjardo right behind him albeit he has been a starter for most of the season.

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 06:43:50 AM »

66: you're 100% right about the OL.  Pass blocking was great and run blocking was the best I've seen in weeks.  Watch again and concentrate on their run blocking.  It's marvelous!

I wanted to note that finally we get some details on the "turnover chain" that is miffing many BB fans.  The CJOB post-game show:

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-vault-cjob/
Oct 12; 6pm  skip to 10:35

Taylor explains the origin of the chain: "everybody gets a link on the chain".

I'm warming up to it as long as it's not some cheap copy of SSK's gaudi thing.

Never go full Rider!
gobombersgo

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 08:30:39 AM »

added this edit as well, it was another sign that we are learning and getting better as a necessity:

"another encouraging thing this week, we showed that we did actually know how to close out a game and did so... we were able to grind out yards, get first downs, and eat clock very effectively... something that we had struggled doing a lot this year and has cost us games before..."

it was nice to actually enjoy seeing the game closing without the heart racing a 1,000 miles per hour hoping we can just hang on, lol...

Sort of like the Charlie Roberts Bomber teams. If they have the lead in the 4th quarter you just knew they would hand the rock to Roberts and he would eat up the yards and the clock.

Norm W

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »

Moved my comments to the Bombers aquire Collaros thread.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:49:52 PM by Norm W » Logged

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Stretch

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »

I'm warming up to it as long as it's not some cheap copy of SSK's gaudi thing.

Which itself is a (very) cheap copy of the University of Miami's "Turnover Chain".

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »

Sort of like the Charlie Roberts Bomber teams. If they have the lead in the 4th quarter you just knew they would hand the rock to Roberts and he would eat up the yards and the clock.

ah Charlie and Harris, best backs ever,

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: