Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2020, 03:22:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Adams is the worst starting WR in the league  (Read 7407 times)
Jesse

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »

He's 29 and probably the best receiver we have. All of this is a little premature.

Is he, though?

He's always had injury trouble and his hands are a little suspect.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »

He's 29 and probably the best receiver we have. All of this is a little premature.

Not really. I'm not suggesting cutting him but we don't know what his SMS hit is at the moment. We might take a different view if his salary was $250K than we would if it was $175K. I understand he has the history of being the best receiver we have had. That in itself doesn't mean much considering the rotating door we've had.  I'm not entirely sure he is still the best receiver we have. Lawler and Bailey have looked good in smaller sample sizes of course.

It's at the point where he seems to need vet days to recover each week. There is no problem with that per se but if it seems to limit his productivity then there might be.

If for example we could sign Derel Walker for the same money, which receiver would you rather have?

How much less productive does he or any receiver seem, due to play calling or QB effectiveness? That's a giant question.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »

Not really. I'm not suggesting cutting him but we don't know what his SMS hit is at the moment. We might take a different view if his salary was $250K than we would if it was $175K. I understand he has the history of being the best receiver we have had. That in itself doesn't mean much considering the rotating door we've had.  I'm not entirely sure he is still the best receiver we have. Lawler and Bailey have looked good in smaller sample sizes of course.

It's at the point where he seems to need vet days to recover each week. There is no problem with that per se but if it seems to limit his productivity then there might be.

If for example we could sign Derel Walker for the same money, which receiver would you rather have?

How much less productive does he or any receiver seem, due to play calling or QB effectiveness? That's a giant question.

His salary is rumored to be around 185k per....and we would never, ever, get D Walker for the same price. He is making gargantuan money. 275k per is what was reported for Walker.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »

The last statement about play calling et al is relevant however I have noticed he has made key drops in successive games as well as others.   When the chips are down your best receiver needs to make those catches and he just doesn't win many jump balls or fight for it much either.   When Milt and the TSN panel were discussing the 7 top receivers in the league his name wasn't on the list or even In the top 10.   As it stands now he is ranked 25th just behind Lawler with 529 yards playing one less game than Lawler.   So as far as Bombers go his stats indicate that he's one of our top receivers.   His yard per catch average of 12.3 is less than either Lawlers (14.9) or Demskis (12.9).   He was originally recruited to be our long ball deep threat.

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »

His salary is rumored to be around 185k per....and we would never, ever, get D Walker for the same price. He is making gargantuan money. 275k per is what was reported for Walker.

I'm not saying we'd be able to get Walker for that same amount although he may end up as a free agent again in 2020. The question was more about play making ability.

I'm just saying every player gets evaluated during the off season. Age, injury history, SMS, productivity and free agency.  The SMS is calculated on putting together the best team by the effective use of the SMS.

It's too early to know what happens in free agency or even whether Adams is a potential free agent as well.

Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if we go after a receiver in free agency ( again ) or whether we decide to shuffle around our 2019 rookies. Potentially I could see Adams dropping to our # 2 receiver even with the same salary.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:08:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
olwpgjet

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2019, 11:05:03 PM »

Not saying Adams has been good but it is hard to compare our receivers across the board  because as mentioned earlier they aren't getting nearly as many looks as most teams. We are probably the biggest running team in the league. Harris I think is #1 in rushing and Strev in limited starts is  # 6 or 7 I think and the option plays to Demski, Whitehead etc., I like all that, gives us a lot of balance and options. Unfortunately, the receivers get the shorter end of that balance.  Strev is still finding his way as a passer and looking better all the time but the run has been our bread and butter this year, again the shorter straw to the receivers. Add in Harris receiving, This season we won't have any 1000 yard receivers ( barring a couple miracles), some of it is on the receivers but I think majority is not .
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2019, 12:40:26 AM »

Not saying Adams has been good but it is hard to compare our receivers across the board  because as mentioned earlier they aren't getting nearly as many looks as most teams. We are probably the biggest running team in the league. Harris I think is #1 in rushing and Strev in limited starts is  # 6 or 7 I think and the option plays to Demski, Whitehead etc., I like all that, gives us a lot of balance and options. Unfortunately, the receivers get the shorter end of that balance.  Strev is still finding his way as a passer and looking better all the time but the run has been our bread and butter this year, again the shorter straw to the receivers. Add in Harris receiving, This season we won't have any 1000 yard receivers ( barring a couple miracles), some of it is on the receivers but I think majority is not .
some truth in what you are saying as Adams has only 43 receptions when all the top receivers are in the 70s to 80s and even higher.   Harris has the most receptions with 63 with an 8 YPC average.....so yeah our receivers don't get nearly the opportunities as other top receivers in the league.    Harris has been the primary offensive weapon and then throw in some defensive and STs scoring and there you have it.   
I just don't know if we thats enough to get us to Calgary on November 24.   In the Western Final last season the difference boiled to the Stamps having Rogers and BLM throwing him the ball.   Our D for the most part hung in there but we just couldn't match their offensive out put.   

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
GCn19

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »

some truth in what you are saying as Adams has only 43 receptions when all the top receivers are in the 70s to 80s and even higher.   Harris has the most receptions with 63 with an 8 YPC average.....so yeah our receivers don't get nearly the opportunities as other top receivers in the league.    Harris has been the primary offensive weapon and then throw in some defensive and STs scoring and there you have it.  
I just don't know if we thats enough to get us to Calgary on November 24.   In the Western Final last season the difference boiled to the Stamps having Rogers and BLM throwing him the ball.   Our D for the most part hung in there but we just couldn't match their offensive out put.   

I think, this year especially, that our run first offence matches up much better than to our opponents than in years past.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »

Is he, though?

He's always had injury trouble and his hands are a little suspect.

yes he is, 1000 yards last two

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
BigBomberFan

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »

and his hands are a little suspect.

This made me laugh for some reason. "Quick, get out the mugshots, his hands are the suspect!!"
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2019, 04:42:35 AM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2019, 05:26:09 AM »

what a catch tonight, impressive moment

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2019, 06:25:15 AM »

He blew a 50/50 ball that all the other big-body #1 WRs would make, but he made up for a lot of bad games with that miracle Zach TD that basically won us the game.  Nice to see someone was working on scramble protocol, because every other team makes things happen on scramble, we seem to just roll over and die.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »

He blew a 50/50 ball that all the other big-body #1 WRs would make, but he made up for a lot of bad games with that miracle Zach TD that basically won us the game.  Nice to see someone was working on scramble protocol, because every other team makes things happen on scramble, we seem to just roll over and die.

I wouldn't say he blew that catch against Roberson. Timing was a bit off and Roberson and Adams both made a play for the ball at the high point.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »

Adams didn't blow the 50-50 ball. He played it great. Roberson had the pick and Adams took it away from him.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: