Blue Bombers Forum
April 07, 2020, 08:37:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Acquire Zach Collaros  (Read 10991 times)
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2019, 03:17:10 AM »

Collaros can be dynamite if he's healthy.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 03:56:25 AM »

I don't think that he'll even see the field unless Streveler gets a season ending injury. He is here strictly for insurance and to show the fans that they'll do everything that they can to end this drought. This deal probably wouldn't even have gotten done if Popp was still in Toronto.

I'm not so sure about that, I can see O'Shea using him if Streveler is not getting it done and the game is slipping away, especially heading into the playoffs with home field at stake.  After all they're paying Collaros to play football not stand on the sidelines.  I think O'Shea has finally moved on from sticking with his starting QB till the bitter end and will do whatever it takes to try to win the final contests, at least I hope so.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 03:56:50 AM »

Collaros can be dynamite if he's healthy.

Once upon a longtime ago.
Blitzer

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 04:14:23 AM »

That's exactly it from what I've read. Walters tried to make this trade weeks ago and Popp wouldn't do it. It's only with Popp leaving that it could go through.  Even Clemens is saying that they are still hoping to get Collaros back to the Argos in the offseason. Probably why the 1st rounder is on the line should Winnipeg try to make a longer contract for him.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering why they didn't get him up a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy they got him. It should take some pressure off of Strev.
GCn19

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 05:15:35 AM »

Insurance policy. It is fine to hope we never need to put in a claim. Rider fans will tell you they would have won the Grey Cup if he were healthy at the end of last year

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 05:42:11 AM »

I'm with blue girl and newt.

This is insurance that is really CYA to allow the Mafia to say they did something and weren't being irresponsible.  In fact, it's the best CYA ever because Collaros a) doesn't care if he's not on the field, and b) is fully expecting to not be on the field.

And the optics are even better because you can hold up Collaros and say "previous GC starting QB!".

I'll be pretty darn surprised if we try to integrate him into the O and into gametime reps at all.  I'd say he's only used if Strev goes down.  Even then, I bet you they put McGuire in before Collaros because he's been working with the team all year.

I mean, what other option is there?  Are they going to yank Strev immediately, pass over McGuire, and play Collaros as he learns the book starting in 3 days?  Sure, that might work to get him up to speed by playoff time, maybe.  But we'll lose games in the meantime and we're trading the risk of Strev getting injured for the even greater (almost guaranteed) risk of Collaros getting concussed.  Ya, so I doubt that's the case.

It's the best, cheapest, best-optics CYA play eva.

And I'm totally fine with it.  3rd round or whatever?  Cheap.  We don't need it.  It's a reasonable deal and everyone gets to look good in the court of public opinion.  What's not to like?

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2019, 05:44:29 AM »

The trade of a third for a fifth to prevent being Dinwiddied, priceless..

Yup, if it comes to that, Collaros at least gives us some hope of something in the playoffs -- until he gets concussed that is.  It's the smart deal.

However, where's our trade for a big-body 50/50 WR??  Heh?  Guess we really are sticking with our horses.

Never go full Rider!
J5V

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 07:49:21 AM »

So, let me get this straight. You guys are saying that Toronto gets O'Shea and Nichols, and gives us Collaros in return. What is this, payback for the Drew Willy deal? This deal is so bad that Walters must be going to Toronto too.

Go Bombers!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:11 AM »

So, let me get this straight. You guys are saying that Toronto gets O'Shea and Nichols, and gives us Collaros in return. What is this, payback for the Drew Willy deal? This deal is so bad that Walters must be going to Toronto too.

Hah!  Funny.  Hey, make it better, trade Walters for Popp!  Oh wait...

This is nothing more than Collaros CYA/insurance for 4(maybe) to 6(hooray!!) games in blue & gold and then shown the door.  Well, I will say that if Collaros starts all our playoff games and wins the GC, then we might keep him.  But short of that long shot of all long shots Collaros is gonzo to FA (probably back to TOR) after our last game.  And all it costs us is (not even) a 3rd rounder?  Pffftt.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 08:31:27 AM »

Hey... what if this move is also being used as leverage against Nichols in negotiations for 2020?  Put pressure on Nichols to accept a lower salary -- "hey look at this GC-caliber QB we have on our roster who just might take your spot!" -- or at the very least, not demand a pay raise.

Ya, it's kind of weak sauce given it's Collaros, but it sure beats the "take a salary decrease or we'll just go with Streveler!" tactic.

Just a thought, anyhow.  Getting CYA, optics, "insurance" and a Nichols-bludgeon, all for a 3rd rounder, isn't bad at all.  Good job KW!

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »

Shouldn't be back slapping him for a deal that should have been made a month ago.

RebusRankin

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

Grey Cup caliber QB? Its 2019, not 2014.
GCn19

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »

Grey Cup caliber QB? Its 2019, not 2014.

No kidding. ZC is not a great QB at this stage of his career, however, as insurance he may be able to do just enough if our D can move mountains for him. Strev's our guy through hell or high water but if he is injured I would rather have a Collaros available than a CFL rookie who has never taken a snap. I've seen that movie and didn't like the ending.

RebusRankin

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »

No kidding. ZC is not a great QB at this stage of his career, however, as insurance he may be able to do just enough if our D can move mountains for him. Strev's our guy through hell or high water but if he is injured I would rather have a Collaros available than a CFL rookie who has never taken a snap. I've seen that movie and didn't like the ending.

So you prefer the punch in the face to the punch in the balls?
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »

So you prefer the punch in the face to the punch in the balls?

Dude the face is always the best option...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: