Blue Bombers Forum
April 07, 2020, 10:27:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Acquire Zach Collaros  (Read 10997 times)
GCn19

« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »

This is great news. Not only because Collaros helped win us the GC, but also because we have finally secured our QB for this year. It took longer than I would have liked, but it was best not to rush anything.

My first choice (and apparently, the Bombers organization as well) was Collaros in the free agent market back in over Drew Willy at the time, but it's interesting how life works out. Him joining the team last year and signing now almost seems like the movie equivalent of where a couple of lovers never managed to get together when they were young, but get married when they're much older and much wiser when they can appreciate what the years and acquired wisdom bring.

I agree. I was po'ed when we got Willy instead of Collaros in 2015. I thought it was a monumental mistake then, and I still think it was a mistake now. However, a lot of circumstances changed from now to then. Glad it worked out for everyone and our reward was the GC we might have had earlier had we signed him in 2015.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »

I agree. I was po'ed when we got Willy instead of Collaros in 2015. I thought it was a monumental mistake then, and I still think it was a mistake now. However, a lot of circumstances changed from now to then. Glad it worked out for everyone and our reward was the GC we might have had earlier had we signed him in 2015.

Who do you think made a mistake, Collaros?
dd

« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »

It was a mistake in signing Willy and not getting Collaros in the first place. We finally addressed that!!
Nic16

« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »

I was big time disappointed to when we ended up with Willy instead of Zach. But that said, I assume the following was in play back then:

- the WFC had built up a solid reputation of futility and frugality, so it was a no-go zone for big name FA?s.

- Steubenville, Ohio is just a 5 hr drive from Hamilton.

- The BB were never in knee deep on the offer to ZC, because Willy would be cheaper and was a true pocket passer. Forgetting of course...we had no O-line at the time Cheesy
GCn19

« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »

Who do you think made a mistake, Collaros?

Nope Walters. Collaros should have been our primary target and we should have outbid Hammy.

GCn19

« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »

I was big time disappointed to when we ended up with Willy instead of Zach. But that said, I assume the following was in play back then:

- the WFC had built up a solid reputation of futility and frugality, so it was a no-go zone for big name FA?s.

- The BB were never in knee deep on the offer to ZC, because Willy would be cheaper and was a true pocket passer. Forgetting of course...we had no O-line at the time Cheesy

No we were never a serious bidder for him and that was a mistake that was just as big as Mack's failure to trade for Reilly. We pursued Burris harder than we pursued Collaros back then and that was a massive mistake. If it wasn't for Nichols landing in our lap, I hate to think what our QB situation would have been after Willy bombed out.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »

Nope Walters. Collaros should have been our primary target and we should have outbid Hammy.

Willy was the 3rd place consolation prize after Hammy already grabbed Zach and Burris chose Ottawa over Wpg..  Collaros was already on his way to the Ti-Cats the moment F.A. opened, it was a done deal, nothing Walters could have done would have changed that outcome, Zach wanted to sign in Hamilton.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »

Willy was the 3rd place consolation prize after Hammy already grabbed Zach and Burris chose Ottawa over Wpg..  Collaros was already on his way to the Ti-Cats the moment F.A. opened, it was a done deal, nothing Walters could have done would have changed that outcome, Zach wanted to sign in Hamilton.
yes....remember that well.   Willy actually started out for us with a bang and it ended with a whimper.   When Nichols eventually replaced him, we had just recently signed Bond or was it Hardrick....not sure.....however our O-line was vastly improved when Nichols took over.   Willy had been rattled, beaten and injured and was a shell of a QB and never really recovered after being traded. 

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Jesse

« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »

Walters was pretty new on the job. QB prices were suddenly exploding. I get bowing out.

I don't remember any leaks about offers. It's possible we did outbid Hamilton and he still chose them. We were....not well regarded at the time.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2020, 07:26:28 PM »

I would add to that list the southern ontario factor. I think at that point he was with his southern ontario wife where she had an established career and they were building a house. If it weren't for the fact that Zach is on the tail end of his career and he just won a cup with us and we have the tools to protect him and win another one for us, he'd be headed to Toronto. Just my opinion, of course.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
BigBomberFan

« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:07 AM »

Some great points mentioned. I can't say that I could blame Collaros back then for not wanting to come here, and our terrible O-line arguably would have hastened his injuries. We were a mess, but I suppose it made me get even more mad at our situation when Willy wasn't working out and Collaros was lighting it up in Hamilton in his first few years there.
DM83

« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »

Our O line was an Embarassment. Poor Willy was mentally devastastated here.  He. Got a chance to start.  He wasn't a guy who could elude oppressive in the pocket so his fate was sealed.mit was sad and pathetic, that an organization let their offensive line get that way.
 He might just be one of the leagues best OC ever.
Lapo also came on Board, and with an O-line, And. The return of Andrew,,it was a start.

Walters did a nice job building.
We still need a game breaking WR, but then again with a non game manager chucking the rock .....maybe he is even in the roster.

Great signing, just don't let him get hit.
GCn19

« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »

Our O line was an Embarassment. Poor Willy was mentally devastastated here.  He. Got a chance to start.  He wasn't a guy who could elude oppressive in the pocket so his fate was sealed.mit was sad and pathetic, that an organization let their offensive line get that way.
 He might just be one of the leagues best OC ever.
Lapo also came on Board, and with an O-line, And. The return of Andrew,,it was a start.

Walters did a nice job building.
We still need a game breaking WR, but then again with a non game manager chucking the rock .....maybe he is even in the roster.

Great signing, just don't let him get hit.

I agree. We may be able to get some increased mileage out of ZC by doing like Montreal did with AC and employing a max protect scheme on passing downs.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  

Jump to: