Blue Bombers Forum
April 07, 2020, 09:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Acquire Zach Collaros  (Read 10994 times)
Horseman

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »

This is very similar to when the Bombers signed a concussion prone Buck Pierce a few years ago.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »

Blue Bombers Acquire Quarterback Zach Collaros in Trade with Argonauts

WINNIPEG, MB., October 9, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has acquired quarterback Zach Collaros and a fifth round draft selection in the 2020 CFL Draft from the Toronto Argonauts in exchange for Winnipeg's third round selection in the 2020 CFL Draft.

Collaros, 31, is 34-31 as a starter in the Canadian Football League with the Toronto Argonauts, Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Saskatchewan Roughriders. He was 10-4 as a starter with the Riders in 2018, a season in which he threw for 2,999 yards and nine touchdowns while also rushing 24 times for 103 yards.

A native of Steubenville, OH, Collaros was first signed by the Argos in 2012 after an outstanding college career at Cincinnati, where he appeared in 41 games for the Bearcats, including 25 starts. He spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons with the Argos - going 5-3 as a starter in '13 - before signing with the Tiger-Cats as a free agent in 2014.

Hamilton held a record of 16-9 in games in which Collaros started in 2015-16 and he had his best season as a pro in 2015 when he was a Most Outstanding Player candidate before a season-ending knee injury. That year, Collaros threw for 3,376 yards with 25 touchdowns and eight interceptions while appearing in just 12 games. He had 2,938 yards passing and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 18:8 in just 10 games in 2016, and started eight games with the Ticats in 2017, with eight touchdowns and 1,767 yards passing.

Collaros was traded by the Ticats to Saskatchewan in January of 2018 for a second-round draft pick and then re-signed by the Riders in February of this year. Collaros started Saskatchewan's opener against Hamilton this season, but was injured on the first drive. He was then traded back to the Argos on July 31st for a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2020.

Throughout his CFL career, Collaros has thrown for 16,758 yards and 92 touchdowns.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 11:30:12 PM »

He will never be here next year. So we gave up a 3rd. round pick for some insurance.

Never is not an absolute. We've already seen suggestions that MOS and / or Lapo will go to Toronto and take Nichols with him. Even if MOS doesn't move, Nichols may want to go to Ottawa etc etc if he feels hamstrung by Lapo.

For that matter we don't even know if Nichols will be ready for TC even if we re-sign him.

Even Streveler might decide his chances are greater elsewhere.

We might sign Masoli or Arbuckle on day 1 of free agency.

Lots of different things might happen including we lose both our QB's and don't sign one of the other two good free agent QB's.

You think the Riders would have signed Collaros in 2019 if they could have landed Reilly, BLM etc?

No more excuses.
catfan

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »

Hi! Guys ....I think that the trade is good for you guys. He's insurance. You only need
 him for a few games and I like him when he played in hamilton. He got a raw deal with
 the cats. He wasn't a June Jones type QB.
 I think he can help you make it to the Cup. But the Cats are too good for him to beat.
 Our D will have him on his back most of the time.

Chow Catfan  
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 11:33:57 PM »

Hi! Guys ....I think that the trade is good for you guys. He's insurance. You only need
 him for a few games and I like him when he played in hamilton. He got a raw deal with
 the cats. He wasn't a June Jones type QB.
 I think he can help you make it to the Cup. But the Cats are too good for him to beat.
 Our D will have him on his back most of the time.

Chow Catfan  

If he's on his back that's not a very good insurance policy.

It appears he's on the game day AR but it's certain he won't see the field this week. Since we didn't dress 3 QB's it's an addition but there is no deletion.

Depending on how Streveler plays or how quickly Collaros gets up to speed, when or what is the trigger that would get Collaros into a game ahead of McGuire?

Even next week seems a brief time for a QB to get into the play book and game speed.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:40:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »

Why would the bombers have a starting QB that is one hit away from missing another year. He is insurance for the rest of this year, period.
RebusRankin

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 12:02:45 AM »

If you're a GM, even if you're desperate for a QB, would you sign a guy knowing it costs you your 1st rounder? I mean if Walters re-signs him, he's a moron.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 12:09:06 AM »

The deal got done 1 minute before the deadline. Talk about waiting till the last minute.

Id call it horrible timing    Lol

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
BlueInCgy

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 12:11:08 AM »

Sweet mercyful crap, I was kidding when I posted this in the other thread.  Seriously Kyle, of all the junk that spews forth from my keyboard, this is the idea you run with.....
DM83

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 12:13:04 AM »

You sign a decent QB to make a couple,throws and run the offence.  The rest of the team is grey cup,quality.
Who cares if he is here next year?

I can't believe they think this walking concussion is able to play. Sask, Toronto took one look and got rid of this guy ASAP.

I wonder if he can last three game?.  If only the O line could. Block and leave him untouched.  I seriously doubt Collaros can keep his marbles all together.

But I guess that was the best we can do.  I don't think he is physically able to play tackle football.

I applaud Walters for doing something.  But really ....MBT was my pick.
RebusRankin

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 12:17:33 AM »

Look up his numbers the past two seasons, more picks than TD passes and roughly 200 yards a game passing. He's not good anymore.
catfan

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2019, 12:25:32 AM »

Why would the bombers have a starting QB that is one hit away from missing another year. He is insurance for the rest of this year, period.

I don't see a problem with that. He's the best out there for a short period of time.

catfan
jammer316

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2019, 12:56:44 AM »

He will be lucky is he plays one quarter before he forgets his own name because he get his brain rearranged!!Can always count on the bombers to do a stupid move
blue girl

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 01:12:24 AM »

I don't think that he'll even see the field unless Streveler gets a season ending injury. He is here strictly for insurance and to show the fans that they'll do everything that they can to end this drought. This deal probably wouldn't even have gotten done if Popp was still in Toronto.
blue newt

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 02:45:07 AM »

I don't think that he'll even see the field unless Streveler gets a season ending injury. He is here strictly for insurance and to show the fans that they'll do everything that they can to end this drought. This deal probably wouldn't even have gotten done if Popp was still in Toronto.

That's exactly it from what I've read. Walters tried to make this trade weeks ago and Popp wouldn't do it. It's only with Popp leaving that it could go through.  Even Clemens is saying that they are still hoping to get Collaros back to the Argos in the offseason. Probably why the 1st rounder is on the line should Winnipeg try to make a longer contract for him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: