Blue Bombers Forum
April 04, 2020, 04:31:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: How many yards for Zach this year?
1000 - 3 (13%)
2000 - 1 (4.3%)
3000 - 5 (21.7%)
4000 - 8 (34.8%)
5000 - 6 (26.1%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many yards for Zach this year?  (Read 1126 times)
booch

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »

Our offence operated at nearly a 50/50 split last year. If you can do that it's a rather ideal split. It's why our offence was among the league's best despite having a weak passing game. I would be ticked pink if we just have a bit more explosiveness to our offence but keep the split relatively the same. A little less dink and dunk and more intermediate shots down the field. It was an area of the passing game virtually ignored last year.

And will open up the run game more as areas are cleared out...so Andrew should feast
GCn19

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »

And will open up the run game more as areas are cleared out...so Andrew should feast

As long as he hasn't lost a step (and I don't think he will) I agree. I figure he will be very prominent in the success of our offence this year. If we are realistically wanting out QB to pass 40-50 times a game for 5000 yards then we picked the wrong QB imo. We will get Collaros killed if that is required.

If there is any chance of Collaros lasting the two years of his contract without concussion it will be because we were a run heavy team that limited his opportunity to throw to less than 30 passes a game. Doug Flutie couldn't get 5000 yards with 25-30 passing attempts a game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:30:02 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »

As long as he hasn't lost a step (and I don't think he will) I agree. I figure he will be very prominent in the success of our offence this year. If we are realistically wanting out QB to pass 40-50 times a game for 5000 yards then we picked the wrong QB imo. We will get Collaros killed if that is required.
I doubt he has lost anything....and will be highly...HIGHLY motivated this year to have as good or better a season as he will be under the microscope and tested even more than ever....another 1000 yard season can be booked for sure....looking back if Oshea didn't sit him basically for latter part in that last game his first season he would have strung together 5 straight 1000 yard season's (4 with us) with it most likely being 6 straight after this year...that was mind boggling being what 26 yards shy of it....also in 2013 he was 2 yards shy of 1000 as well...thats some serious yardage for a Canadian back...also had just shy of 700 yards in 12 games in 2014 when he missed time with the injured ankle
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »

Our offence operated at nearly a 50/50 split last year. If you can do that it's a rather ideal split. It's why our offence was among the league's best despite having a weak passing game. I would be ticked pink if we just have a bit more explosiveness to our offence but keep the split relatively the same. A little less dink and dunk and more intermediate shots down the field. It was an area of the passing game virtually ignored last year.

I should've been clearer. I meant a passing attack where receivers are targeted primarily and the tailback less so, not having to rely so much on that safety valve as in previous seasons.

The idea of having a sophomore Lawler and Bailey is pretty enticing and depending on SMS implications and free agency, it's exciting to think of the possibilities. A stud receiver like Walker would be pretty sweet.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid.
GCn19

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »

I should've been clearer. I meant a passing attack where receivers are targeted primarily and the tailback less so, not having to rely so much on that safety valve as in previous seasons.

The idea of having a sophomore Lawler and Bailey is pretty enticing and depending on SMS implications and free agency, it's exciting to think of the possibilities. A stud receiver like Walker would be pretty sweet.

I see your point and agree, with the caveat that ZC doesn't take a hit to try make the play. His preservation will be paramount to our success and if the play is breaking down and the dump off is all he has go for it. It isn't flashy but Harris has proven that it can be a successful play more often than not. Stay upright Zach.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 03:57:40 PM »

I see your point and agree, with the caveat that ZC doesn't take a hit to try make the play. His preservation will be paramount to our success and if the play is breaking down and the dump off is all he has go for it. It isn't flashy but Harris has proven that it can be a successful play more often than not. Stay upright Zach.

Zach's style of play definitely has something to do with the number of concussions he's suffered, because of his scrambling ability he tends to extend plays beyond the protection of the O-line and sometimes gets nailed on roll-out passes after he has released the ball and opens his stance up to an oncoming train.  He often throws the ball off a little hop with both feet in the air using only his arm strength.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:31:14 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
1chad

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »

If he averages 225 yards a game, he comes in at just over 4000 yards for the 18 game season.
GCn19

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »

If he averages 225 yards a game, he comes in at just over 4000 yards for the 18 game season.

Assuming he plays 18 games that is.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »

Zach's style of play definitely has something to do with the number of concussions he's suffered, because of his scrambling ability he tends to extend plays beyond the protection of the O-line and sometimes gets nailed on roll-out passes after he has released the ball and opened his stance up to an oncoming train.  He often throws the ball off a little hop with both feet in the air using only his arm strength.
Looking at Zachs physique he has a well developed upper body and impressive biceps.   The throw he made to Adams in the end zone was a prime example of his scrambling ability combined with his ability to throw on the run.   That was one of the top offensive TSN plays of last season and it was exciting to watch...however as you say that style of play is fraught with risk factors.   

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »

Looking at Zachs physique he has a well developed upper body and impressive biceps.   The throw he made to Adams in the end zone was a prime example of his scrambling ability combined with his ability to throw on the run.   That was one of the top offensive TSN plays of last season and it was exciting to watch...however as you say that style of play is fraught with risk factors.   

He doesn't scramble like he used to. Both out of necessity and he obviously reads far better than he did when he came into the league. As long as he picks his spots I don't think a bit of scrambling here or there will increase his risk. It's already pretty high. We've seen plenty of pure pocket passers get injured too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: