Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2020, 06:20:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agent QB's next year  (Read 6455 times)
blue girl

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »

you know it's funny, Nichols, BLM, and Vernon Adams are all products of Eastern Washington and had prolific careers while there... however, BLM has shined since basically becoming a starter, Adams is on the up swing, and Nichols is treading water in Lapo's offense... you would think they all three receiving the same tutoring in how to play the position and probably executed a very similar offense... Nichols starts out hot in Winnipeg and has seemed to regress in Lapo's system...
IMO Nichols started off hot because he was replacing a QB who was so beat up from playing behind the OL we had at the time that he was a shell of his former self. I thought that Nichols was playing well within this system until he got injured.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »

Somewhere online there is a great article interviewing the coach who had all 3 of those players.  He said he thought Adams was the most talented of the bunch, but that might have been some soft tire pumping, because he was the most recent and hadn't yet settled on to a roster.   

Anyway, I disagree that Nichols has regressed in Lapo's offence.  I think he has played his best football in this system.  When he first got here from Edmonton, he was a bit of a gunslinger (a welcome change from Willy).  But after one offseason, he bought into Lapo's system and we saw the low interception rate, protect the football, high completion rate performance that has been so successful.  He had a bit of a dip last year, coming back off injury and trying to do too much, but I thought his performance this year was back to a very high level.  You can't help injuries, and that's the only real knock on Nichols this year. 

I am sure Nichols could play somewhere else and have a good level of success.  If he was throwing downfield like others he would have more INTs, but if there were players like Begelton, Davarius Daniels, SJ Green, etc. on the other end, he would put up higher yardage counts.  People can have their preferences in terms of what they want to watch, but the evidence is clear that Nichols operating in Lapos system, puts up points and wins rather than passing yards.  That'll do for me. 

I felt by just watching Nichols that he was/is no where near the level of play he was in 2017 so I looked at the numbers... they're not glaring but you can see a pattern from 2016 to now...

2016 - 31 att/gm - 69% com% - 244 yds/gm - 1.2 tds/gm - .6 int/gm - 6 300+gm - 0 200-gm
2017 - 34 att/gm - 71% com% - 263 yds/gm - 1.6 tds/gm - .5 int/gm - 7 300+gm - 2 200-gm
2018 - 28 att/gm - 64% com% - 224 yds/gm - 1.2 tds/gm - .8 int/gm - 1 300+gm - 8 200-gm
2019 - 26 att/gm - 71% com% - 215 yds/gm - 1.6 tds/gm - .6 int/gm - 0 300+gm - 5 200-gm

of course 2019 is for only 9 games... also, we now know that these numbers were against some of the weakest team in the league... how they would look at the end of the year had he not been injured is hard to know...  but you see his attempts and yards per game has reduced since 2017... also, you see his 300 yd per games trending down and his under 200 trending up...

sure, we won games with these numbers this year, but, we also had a lot of help from the other parts of our game as well... that help, as we are experiencing now, can't always be counted on and you would have to believe that we would have had more losses if we had been playing better teams... much like now...

I still felt that given Nichols' play that he still gave us the best chance to win this year... I did want to see Streveler get meaning playing time though as to be able to actually assess his abilities in order to get a better read as to who we should sign, if either, for next year...  well, if nothing else, we will end up with a half a season by each so management and coaches we at least have enough information to make an informed decision... whether or not they get the decision right is still up in the air, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2019, 09:00:06 PM »

The list of FA QBs for the offseason includes:

Nichols
Streveler
Arbuckle
Masoli

I know that Fajardo is a FA, but the speculation and expectation is that he's back in Saskatchewan.

Given this, my preference would be:

1. Nichols
2. Arbuckle
3. Masoli
4. Streveler

Nichols just works here. The numbers may not be sexy, but the team wins with him there.

Arbuckle has the greatest future upside.

Masoli may be the best QB of the 3, but I don't know how well he'd perform in a system that's different than the one he's in.

Streveler is not a starter at this point in his career.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:56 PM »

I felt by just watching Nichols that he was/is no where near the level of play he was in 2017 so I looked at the numbers... they're not glaring but you can see a pattern from 2016 to now...

2016 - 31 att/gm - 69% com% - 244 yds/gm - 1.2 tds/gm - .6 int/gm - 6 300+gm - 0 200-gm
2017 - 34 att/gm - 71% com% - 263 yds/gm - 1.6 tds/gm - .5 int/gm - 7 300+gm - 2 200-gm
2018 - 28 att/gm - 64% com% - 224 yds/gm - 1.2 tds/gm - .8 int/gm - 1 300+gm - 8 200-gm
2019 - 26 att/gm - 71% com% - 215 yds/gm - 1.6 tds/gm - .6 int/gm - 0 300+gm - 5 200-gm

of course 2019 is for only 9 games... also, we now know that these numbers were against some of the weakest team in the league... how they would look at the end of the year had he not been injured is hard to know...  but you see his attempts and yards per game has reduced since 2017... also, you see his 300 yd per games trending down and his under 200 trending up...

sure, we won games with these numbers this year, but, we also had a lot of help from the other parts of our game as well... that help, as we are experiencing now, can't always be counted on and you would have to believe that we would have had more losses if we had been playing better teams... much like now...

I still felt that given Nichols' play that he still gave us the best chance to win this year... I did want to see Streveler get meaning playing time though as to be able to actually assess his abilities in order to get a better read as to who we should sign, if either, for next year...  well, if nothing else, we will end up with a half a season by each so management and coaches we at least have enough information to make an informed decision... whether or not they get the decision right is still up in the air, lol...

So, the yards are down. Yet the other stats really aren't all that different. I think this is a greater indictment on our receivers who can't get open deep, and don't have a lot of YAC ability. This is, perhaps, the worst crop of receivers that we've had during Nichols' tenure here. That group has done nothing to help out Streveler. Nichols made something out of nothing.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
TBURGESS

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2019, 09:35:33 PM »

Wow. Look at the difference in 300+ yard games.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: