Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 03:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG Deal w/ TO for a QB  (Read 12045 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »

We have SMS room and not in a cap hell by any means.

we have highly-paid guys who were in the 6-games... and we cut Matthews. Even before we have reserve $ for NFL cuts.

We have room but that doesn't mean spending it foolishly is wise. As I said remaining SMS is used at the end of every season to use as signing bonus money for potential free agents.

Whether trading for Collaros was a wise decision at any level is debatable.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »

We have room but that doesn't mean spending it foolishly is wise. As I said remaining SMS is used at the end of every season to use as signing bonus money for potential free agents.

Whether trading for Collaros was a wise decision at any level is debatable.

For $33 grand and a mid round pick (when NI cupboards are pretty well stocked), it's hardly debatable.

Do whatever we can to get better even by a tiny bit while we still have a window to make some noise.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »

For $33 grand and a mid round pick (when NI cupboards are pretty well stocked), it's hardly debatable.

Do whatever we can to get better even by a tiny bit while we still have a window to make some noise.

Exactly. I am baffled by those who would risk going into the last part of the season without an experienced QB behind our starter.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »

Not Coach O. when June Jones was HC. He was offered HC jobs from other CFL teams.
Same with Coach Dickinson with Calgary.

Catfan

Both cases, the co-ordinator had a real and viable advancement opportunity that they were waiting on.  You think Steinhauer is going to be retiring / moving on/up soon?  Maybe we can hire Steinhauer...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »

Exactly. I am baffled by those who would risk going into the last part of the season without an experienced QB behind our starter.

Nobody suggested that. The question was who was the best option. It could be reasonably argued that Collaros was the best choice from a skill set.

None of the other veterans wanted to come out of retirement apparently.

Not sure whether they even considered Bridges but not every veteran QB is a good QB.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2019, 04:38:48 PM »

This can be debated for ever, but at the end of the day this is who the bombers trade for. There really wasn't much out there. I think Mr. Walters did the best he could to have some insurance in place. Only time will tell if we need him or not, and whether he helps or not.
blue_or_die

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »

Nobody suggested that. The question was who was the best option. It could be reasonably argued that Collaros was the best choice from a skill set.

Not sure whether they even considered Bridges but not every veteran QB is a good QB.

Plenty of people implied that when they saw the options and concluded they didn't want to give up anything for anyone.

Every veteran is better than a rookie who hasn't taken a snap, from a risk perspective.

Blue In BC

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »

Plenty of people implied that when they saw the options and concluded they didn't want to give up anything for anyone.

Every veteran is better than a rookie who hasn't taken a snap, from a risk perspective.

None of the options were good including the option of Collaros. So they weren't wrong in that sense. I would have been reluctant to sign Collaros as a free agent.

That isn't the same as saying they didn't want a veteran back at QB on the roster.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »

Collaros is a much better QB than Bridge.

dd

« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »

I think Walters went out and got the best available option to help us out at Qb in our playoff run and didn?t give up anything really. Whether he plays a down or not remains to be seen, but based on strvelers play of late?generating only 6 points vs the riders , we need help or we re going nowhere fast. I hope we get to see Collaros in the playoffs as he is an upgrade over streveler at this point in time, no question about it.
GCn19

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »

I hope we never see Collaros under center because that means we are winning, Strev is healthy and playing good ball. I do like that we now have the option of not folding our tent on the season if Strev gets hurt.

dd

« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »

Everyone has a bad game. Last game, strev was brutal. I d like to think that if the game is on the line and our offense is not moving the ball/scoring 6 points a game, that we d have the courage to pull strev and give Collaros a chance to win us the game. Given MOS loyalty program, I doubt we ll see this though.
TBURGESS

« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »

Collaros is was a much better QB than Bridge.
FIFY

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_or_die

« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »

None of the options were good including the option of Collaros. So they weren't wrong in that sense. I would have been reluctant to sign Collaros as a free agent.

That isn't the same as saying they didn't want a veteran back at QB on the roster.

Yes, they were wrong because even if the options weren't "good", they were all improvements on the status quo, which is an untested rookie whose arm is a block of ice from riding pine all year.

So yes, that attitude is the same as saying you don't want a vet QB on the roster. When you find yourself in that position, forced to make that kind of decision, there are almost never any "good" options by your standard. Beggars can't be choosers in the situation we found ourselves in today. We chose to get better with this, however slight it may be, and that was the right choice.

That said, of course we should hope we will not need Collaros for even one snap for the rest of this year (and therefore, ever).

Blue72

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »

Didn't Arbuckle sign for 3 years last year which would not make him a FA this year, I thought I heard that on TV?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: