Blue Bombers Forum
October 01, 2020, 11:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Cup 2019  (Read 2891 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »

That's not the way these deals work. Keith Urban can charge whatever he wants. They aren't getting a sweet deal. Let's say the CFL has $250,000 for an act (that they get from half time sponsorship or rainy day fund or under Ambrosie's couch, it doesn't matter.) Keith Urban charges $500,000. The league goes, looks like we're $250,000 short. They go to TSN who has a vested interested in high ratings and says, let's try and do a contra deal with Keith's record label for the difference. TSN agrees and puts a promotional dollar value on promoting the acts of the concert series (say $50,000 per). TSN also interviews each act after the concert and determines that promotional value is worth $30,000 each. Then they value all of those 10 second in-broadcast commericals they played and value those at $200,000 - a premium because they're not in an ad block. Then they add up all the web value, etc. and provide a promotional dollar value to UMG. When I was doing this sort of thing you had to get 7 or 8 times promotional value to real cash value. The league/TSN offer this to UMG. It costs $250,000 in cash for UMG, but they pay Keith and get him promoted at a huge event so it's no big loss. They also turn around and tell all their big upcoming acts that they're providing them with this awesome opportunity and exposure valued at $100,000 (or whatever the number is per band).

That's how they did it. The numbers are completely made up, obviously.

wow, that's what I was going to say but you beat me to it, lol...  Grin

but thank you Sir, for adding your marketing expertise to the conversation, it gives insight to how these type of deal get done...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: