Blue Bombers Forum
July 09, 2020, 09:08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: We need a experienced QB to help backup Streveler  (Read 1866 times)
Austin85

« on: September 28, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »

Strev is getting valuable reps but management must trade for a experienced  backup to help him.  Don't we want to win?? were 9-5 Let's go for it!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »

Strev is getting valuable reps but management must trade for a experienced  backup to help him.  Don't we want to win?? were 9-5 Let's go for it!!

An experienced back up that isn't going to play unless he gets injured doesn't help him. Nichols knows the play book and the players. Buck Pierce knows the play book.

The play book isn't going to change if we add an experienced back up.

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 12:21:17 AM »

Not going to happen, not worth it.  Anything we gave up in the trade wouldn't be worth it and the salary for a vet QB would be a waste.  We develop Strev and everything Blue In BC says above is correct.

We can also give McGuire some reps.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 03:05:10 AM »

Never going to happen, as it?s not needed, he has Nichols and peirce  to consult,  with this is a wasted thread
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:23:42 AM by dd » Logged
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 03:08:43 AM »

It's not like Nichols left the team. He'll be on the sidelines from here on out. There's also Pierce on the sidelines, too.

The only argument for acquiring a veteran QB would be to play him and improve on the position itself on the field.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Austin85

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:20:05 AM »

I apologize to everyone  for my thread.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 03:43:12 AM »

I apologize to everyone  for my thread.

no need to apologize for having an opinion...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
buckzumhoff

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 12:21:15 PM »

A good idea. I think we are the only team with 2 quarterbacks, a third would be good. and wonder why we don't have a third quarterback.
Sec223

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »

Do we really have 2 QB"S ?
lenny

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »

He's got two veteran QBs in his ears - Matt and Buck Pierce. And help is a debatable word when you bring another's team reject QB in. Bad habits and all.
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »

We're going into game 15 this week. It's all or nothing now. If Streveler does get injured it's probably the end of the season for us.

Those are just realities of roster size, SMS and learning curves.

McGuire has been here all season. Hopefully he has some skill if it becomes necessary.

No more excuses.
DM83

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »

I actually am shocked we don't have a back up QB.

My professors advised that a back up plan is always needed.  Obvious example,is when you plan an event, say a day at the beach,,and it rains. Mit would be a huge downer to still plan on suntanning or enjoying the water in the pouring rain.

Um we are one injury to Strev to basically being done.  I mean at this point our starting WR has more pro passing attempts and TDs than any other QB on the roster.

I find it interesting McLeod Bethel Thompson didn't play for the Argoes thins past sat.  In my educated lol! Opinion, I think he would be a great option for the Bombers. Either as the starter or back up.

In my opinion, the team is as. Good as any other team in the CFL, but so inconsistent. The team needs a guy who can chuck the rock. MBT should be available, and relatively cheap salary.

As I mentioned, the. Organization geared up for a cup run, sort of,  if that is so, I would not be adverse to  getting MBT here.  The Bombers can afford to give up any guy.  We have strength at all positions. Pick one, as part of a trade.
lenny

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »

My professors advised that a back up plan is always needed.  Obvious example,is when you plan an event, say a day at the beach,,and it rains. Mit would be a huge downer to still plan on suntanning or enjoying the water in the pouring rain.

Um we are one injury to Strev to basically being done.  I mean at this point our starting WR has more pro passing attempts and TDs than any other QB on the roster.

I find it interesting McLeod Bethel Thompson didn't play for the Argoes thins past sat.  In my educated lol! Opinion, I think he would be a great option for the Bombers. Either as the starter or back up.

In my opinion, the team is as. Good as any other team in the CFL, but so inconsistent. The team needs a guy who can chuck the rock. MBT should be available, and relatively cheap salary.

As I mentioned, the. Organization geared up for a cup run, sort of,  if that is so, I would not be adverse to  getting MBT here.  The Bombers can afford to give up any guy.  We have strength at all positions. Pick one, as part of a trade.

Did you watch Franklin play. He is the one hitting the highway not a QB that is still ranked #3 in stats.
lenny

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »

This whole issue brings up some valid considerations though. Why is it that MOS as he did with Nichols and Strev refused to substitute Nichols on numerous occasions where Nichols wasn't doing anything with the offence. Despite Nichols winning record in Edmonton (5-2) Jones pulled him three times (the last one permanently in favour of Franklin) when he was playing mediocre football. So if Strev is struggling or it appears (as he was a few games back and indeed this last game) injured put McGuire in for some reps and to be climatized to big game ball. Instead we have the same woeful 'leadership' of our coaching staff.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »

This whole issue brings up some valid considerations though. Why is it that MOS as he did with Nichols and Strev refused to substitute Nichols on numerous occasions where Nichols wasn't doing anything with the offence. Despite Nichols winning record in Edmonton (5-2) Jones pulled him three times (the last one permanently in favour of Franklin) when he was playing mediocre football. So if Strev is struggling or it appears (as he was a few games back and indeed this last game) injured put McGuire in for some reps and to be climatized to big game ball. Instead we have the same woeful 'leadership' of our coaching staff.

While I don't agree with pulling Nichols, unless he was throwing ducks (3), I do agree with pulling Strev.

Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »

A couple of things;

1. I doubt even the Argos are sure whether MBT or Franklin is the guy they want as # 1 in 2020. Franklin failed another look this week after MBT failed his the week before.

2. We are not in a position where we can give up any guy due to our depth. Did you watch our last two games? Would you give up ANY of the defensive starters for MBT and replace them with one of our back ups?

I'd like to see which player you think we'd be willing to give up, who we'd replace him with and WHY the Argos would be interested in that player?

If you prefer to consider an offensive player, answer the same question.

It there is a win / win trade with the Argos I don't see it. So I'd be curious to a well stated example you might have in mind.

Argos has lots of holes on their team but their also out of the playoffs and in evaluation mode.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:33:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »

maybe, just maybe the person that needs to be pulled is Lapo...

do we not see the same exact thing that we've been seeing for the past 2 seasons happening again right before our eyes? players change, performance and game play remains exactly the same... how many times has Lapo done this very thing to Nichols? 

his play calling sucks...

his use of skill players sucks...

we cling to some false hope and rather blame the current QB or cast of receivers...

it wouldn't matter who is playing, the results and outcome will be the same, we've seen it over and over and it looks EXACTLY the same with just different people...

Lapo is holding us back, not the QB... not the receivers... not the running backs... it's Lapo...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
pjrocksmb

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 06:10:45 PM »

do we not see the same exact thing that we've been seeing for the past 2 seasons happening again right before our eyes? players change, performance and game play remains exactly the same... how many times has Lapo done this very thing to Nichols? 

his use of skill players sucks...

we cling to some false hope and rather blame the current QB or cast of receivers...

it wouldn't matter who is playing, the results and outcome will be the same, we've seen it over and over and it looks EXACTLY the same with just different people...

Lapo is holding us back, not the QB... not the receivers... not the running backs... it's Lapo...

Disagree, it doesn't all fall on Lapo, there are many factors at play here.  Our offense is struggling due to a limited passing attack which I posted my reasons why in the passing attack thread.

dd

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »

I couldn?t agree more. Enough of this mad scientist, offensive genius crap. The guy couldn?t get us a first down when we needed it to seal the deal sndinst the Argos!!! And then followed that sweetheart of a performance up with the same stunt against the Als. Ridiculous . The guys the most over rated , over paid coach out there. And the same could be said for his defensive counterpart on our team. Combine our conservative offense with our conservative defense and you get a game plan destined for failure against the top teams as they?re coming at you full bore
pjrocksmb

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »

I couldn?t agree more. Enough of this mad scientist, offensive genius crap. The guy couldn?t get us a first down when we needed it to seal the deal sndinst the Argos!!! And then followed that sweetheart of a performance up with the same stunt against the Als. Ridiculous . The guys the most over rated , over paid coach out there. And the same could be said for his defensive counterpart on our team. Combine our conservative offense with our conservative defense and you get a game plan destined for failure against the top teams as they?re coming at you full bore
way overstated the negative, disagree

swansong

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »

LaPo has been a part of this team for a total of 9 years between head coach and co-ordinator stints and the team has struggled on offence in precisely the same ways during each of those years. He's had more than enough chances to get us over the hump in crucial instances and he's failed.

People that refuse to recognize that fact are being intentionally obtuse. Feelings over facts is no recipe for success.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 07:35:51 AM »

Holy smokes!  Lapo called the best half of CFL football ever seen by mankind in the MTL 1st half!  A new record!

Lapo is a brilliant playcaller when it's going to his script!  His first problem is when he's left to ad lib late in games.  His second problem is when he goes prevent, but part of this is on MOS too.  MOS said straight up that he forced Lapo to go run on that final MTL set of downs.  You can't blame Lapo for that.

Like any coordinator, Lapo has good games and bad games.  Sometimes both in one game!  This year he's given us way more good games than bad!  You can't discount all those beautiful Nichols games earlier in the year.  There were many games we were stuffing teams just like HAM recently did to us.

I still maintain the problem with Lapo is he doesn't seem to have a "B" book.  If the "A" book is failing, he just stumbles and bumbles around looking like you described in the crap 6 quarters we just saw.  He needs to have a fallback that throws massive curveballs to other teams' film study and plans when we are sucking bad.

LaPo has been a part of this team for a total of 9 years between head coach and co-ordinator stints and the team has struggled on offence in precisely the same ways during each of those years. He's had more than enough chances to get us over the hump in crucial instances and he's failed.

Uh, it was Lapo as HC that got our so-so 2011 team to the GC.  It was Lapo who won (and almost won another) GC as OC in SSK too.  Lapo has the pedigree.  I think he can get it done.

Never go full Rider!
swansong

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »

Uh, it was Lapo as HC that got our so-so 2011 team to the GC.  It was Lapo who won (and almost won another) GC as OC in SSK too.  Lapo has the pedigree.  I think he can get it done.

Once...8 years ago...he had a good run with us (10-8) when we were in the East. One playoff win since. Glad you have faith in him. He could be the head coach again next year.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:51:35 AM by swansong » Logged
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 03:39:54 PM »

...it was Lapo as HC that got our so-so 2011 team to the GC.  It was Lapo who won (and almost won another) GC as OC in SSK too.  Lapo has the pedigree.  I think he can get it done.

It was the amazing defense under Burke that got the 2011 team to the big dance. The offense that year was mediocre at best. LaPolice has never been the HC of any championship team (he was the RB coach in 2007).

He could be the head coach again next year.

He won't be the HC of this team again.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Pigskin

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »

I agree, Paul will be an HC in the CFL, but not here. I could see him in Toronto next year. That organization need a big shake up at the end of the year. They could could start off by trading us MBT for a 5-7 round pick. Good backup to Strv17 with CFL experience.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:55:27 PM by Pigskin » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »

Let's look at the numbers.

Week 7: Matt 29/48 261 yards 1TD/3 Int.
            AH33 8/64
            Woli82 5/60  Drew also made 3 tackles.
            Law89 3/24

63 yards rushing.

Week 16: Strv17 31/42 304 yards 1TD/2 Int.
             AH33 6/34
             Woli82 4/32 
             Law89 10/144

98 yards rushing.

I think Hamilton just matches up against us well. Also our D gave up much less yardage in week 7.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:42:19 PM by Pigskin » Logged
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »

Clearly Ham is more tuned up for the games against us.  Seems like they just want to win more than us.. that's the main difference.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: