Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 07:52:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & TiCats 9/27/2019  (Read 3437 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: September 28, 2019, 02:04:29 AM »

well, the Bombers came into this match looking for a little redemption and some much needed self respect after last weeks debacle... and the opening drive had the Streveler and the cast of Bombers firing on all cylinders and making it look easy...  the boys begin by quickly making the TiCats go 2 an out on their opening series, then the Bombers put together a 6:57 clock consuming, 11 play, 74 yard drive that saw Streveler connect with Harris on a 8 yard toss for the TD... on the drive Streveler looked confident and managed to go a perfect 4/4 passing for 46 yards that included the TD toss...

the second TiCat series didn't really go our way, even with the nice assist from the Bomber fans/crowd, helping to set the TiCats back 5 yards on second down from the 4 with an ample supply of crowd noise resulting in the TiCats taking a delay penalty... however, the Bombers gave up a way to easy pitch and catch from Evans to Addison for the TD to knot things up at 7 all...  another Jeckle and Hyde performance by the Bomber D...

we finish out the 1st quarter looking more like the team that played in the second half against Montreal than the team that started this game... we go 2 and out, playing way under the chains on a 2nd and 15... Medlock contributes a terrible 34 yard punt and the Ticats move the ball with ease against our Rich Hall D... the Bombers give up 113 passing yards in the 1st quarter...

I'm not really sure what the deal is with Medlock's punting.... his second punt was another lack luster 38 yard effort that gave the TiCats the ball at their own 22 instead of pinning them deep in their end... luckily there was a TiCat penalty that put them back to their 12...

thus far I don't think that a single TiCat reception involved a Bomber defender anywhere near the receiver...

the the TiCats convert a 2nd and 19, and a 2nd and 10 with 2 passes to again, wide open receivers at the line of scrimmage that are converted for 1st downs... the first of which we only rush 3 and drop everyone else into coverage and we still can't stop them... oh, then followed up by what can only be called a sand lot TD pitch and catch in the end zone for a Hamilton TD... a 97 yard drive that was easy peasy for Hamilton...

halfway through the 2nd quarter and we've already given up 240 yards and 17 pts by our defense...

I know that we all love Andrew Harris but I for one have seen about 30 too many 1st down, Harris straight up the middle on 1st down plays... we're fooling absolutely nobody... after the first series we look like we are already playing the prevent offense, only problem is we're not winning... Lapo could leave at half time and I could care less...

somebody should have brought a defense to the game tonight for the Bombers... they look lost and gassed... Sayles gets schooled on a 50+ yard under thrown ball that he couldn't do nothing with, then can't make the tackle, nor could Hecht before being dragged downed to the 1... 90 yards in about a minute and change...

we manage to bookend a whole lot of terrible football by both the offense and the defense with a TD and a FG to go into the half trailing 24-10... having already given up 338 yards...

in the last 4 quarters of play the Bombers have given up over 700 yards and 45 points...

on a lighter note... it sure looks odd to see people bundled up at the game this early in the year, Sarah Orlesky looks dressed for a blizzard with that big old arctic coat and scarf, but make no mistake, still is purty as ever, lol, at least for us south of the border as it was a balmy 35 degrees here in Missouri today... even now as I type this it's still 28 degrees here... I'm sure not ready for fall yet, lol...

OMG, once again you have to give a nod of the hat to the CFL officials... Hamilton was only off sides by 5 yards or so in the second series of the 2nd half and not a flag one... of course it was on a 2nd down and 9 where they convert as well with a 21 yard completion to the guy that was off sides...  end result it allows the TiCats to add to the lead with a field goal a few plays latter...

for whatever reason, it sure looked like Lapo was bound and determined to keep Streveler in the pocket and not run tonight for the majority of the game... why, I'm not sure, but Streveler sure didn't look comfortable tonight outside of the opening series... I understand that Streveler needs to be able to stand in the pocket and throw passes, but, we also need to take what we are given at times as well...

I will say that the defense did play some what better in the second half but still way to many missed tackles and arm tackles... the O line is going to have to play better than they did tonight as well if they want Streveler to stay in the pocket as well...  like I said earlier, this seems to be a Jeckyl and Hyde team, you never know which you're going to get on any given night...

also, I think that Lapo at times tries to force the ball to Harris too much... I understand that he is 'the' guy but much like games like tonight, Harris just didn't have his mojo tonight and when that happens, we need to look to somebody else to pick up the slack...

but, outside of the first series, which I'm positive was a scripted series, we really looked lost on both sides of the ball for the majority of the game... if were not going to get better effort from the player and better play calling from the coordinators, well this will go down as another lost opportunity of a season...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
kkc60

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:09:40 AM »

Teams gotten too cocky.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:13:45 AM »

people are probably going to point to Strevler's INTs tonight, the first one was bad, but, the second one... it looked like Adams stopped and started a couple of times heading down field putting himself behind the play...

also, there were a couple of drops by the receivers tonight and penalties that hurt the down field play when we did try to go there...  but on 2nd and 27 we're throwing a 6 yard pass to Harris when we're down 3 scores... Lapo needs to go, I sure hope somebody takes him, and Hall, at the end of the year...

kkc60

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:14:53 AM »

people are probably going to point to Strevler's INTs tonight, the first one was bad, but, the second one... it looked like Adams stopped and started a couple of times heading down field putting himself behind the play...

also, there were a couple of drops by the receivers tonight and penalties that hurt the down field play when we did try to go there...  but on 2nd and 27 we're throwing a 6 yard pass to Harris when we're down 3 scores... Lapo needs to go, I sure hope somebody takes him, and Hall, at the end of the year...
No one is picking up the weight that comes when you have a backup QB in. How is he going to develop when no one is capable of bailing him out?
rubanski

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 02:19:21 AM »

QBs develops by playing through their mistakes. Having Kevin Glenn come in and play when strev struggles doesn't "help" develop him one bit.
kkc60

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:21:07 AM »

QBs develops by playing through their mistakes. Having Kevin Glenn come in and play when strev struggles doesn't "help" develop him one bit.
What I'm saying is no receiver is bailing him out. Nor is the oline. Or defence. No one. Medlock can't even kick above .500 it seems
3rdand1.5

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 02:27:28 AM »

Imo Strev didn't loose this game IMO he was set up to lose by the play calls
DM83

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 02:31:09 AM »

Wow! Strevelor must have. Done a lot of developing tonite! Lol
Ritchie Hall has to go.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 02:32:16 AM »

he threw for 304 yards tonight... another 30 or 40 called back for holding... first time this year I believe we went over 300 passing...

Lawler stepped up but they went to him early and then late... not sure why his number wasn't called more during the middle of the game... 144 receiving yards...

lenny

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 02:39:51 AM »

Yeah cool it on Strevler. 31/42   73.8%   304yds it's the best passing yardage game he's ever had. Baby steps. Funny we've been giving one playoff win Nichols all the leeway in the world and given the longest leash in history to a mediocre DC but Strev, oh no.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 02:40:11 AM »

he threw for 304 yards tonight... another 30 or 40 called back for holding... first time this year I believe we went over 300 passing...

Lawler stepped up but they went to him early and then late... not sure why his number wasn't called more during the middle of the game... 144 receiving yards...

I don't have a problem with Stev at all - He is learning and growing each game. What I do have a significant issue with is Richie Hall and his disaster of a defense. I have said so many times that I lost track of it - but no way the Bomber have any hope to get to the Cup this year or next (and it is getting close to next year time) is to send Hall packing. Will not happen this year but better happen next year if the Bombers have any hope for the future.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 02:42:59 AM »

Yeah cool it on Strevler. 31/42   73.8%   304yds it's the best passing yardage game he's ever had. Baby steps. Funny we've been giving one playoff win Nichols all the leeway in the world and given the longest leash in history to a mediocre DC but Strev, oh no.

I would like to make one correction to your post - you refer to Richie Hall as a mediocre DC. I take exception to that - Hall would have to improve 1000% to get up to mediocre! I would not give him an F- as that yet again would be giving him a far better grade then he deserves. I would trade him for a bag of door knobs and feel I won the deal.
lenny

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 02:44:41 AM »

I would like to make one correction to your post - you refer to Richie Hall as a mediocre DC. I take exception to that - Hall would have to improve 1000% to get up to mediocre! I would not give him an F- as that yet again would be giving him a far better grade then he deserves. I would trade him for a bag of door knobs and feel I won the deal.

Touche! Cheesy
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 02:56:22 AM »

You could see we were in trouble by how easily the Ticats scored their 1st TD. Another game where we gave up another 100 yard TD drive with multiple 2nd and long conversions.

I've seen this movie before.

On offense the Ticats took away a lot of our run game and forced us to beat them passing. In spite of the 300 yard passing game a lot came in garbage time. Part of that was our decisions to very seldom throw anything over a 10 yard strike.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 03:13:30 AM »

I've been sitting here playing Candy Crush for the last hour and trying to come up with an answer to this question...

how can we execute so well in that first series on offense, have a very dominate 70+ yard drive for a TD and then look so lost for the rest of the game?  I get that the first series is generally a scripted series and one they work on during the week, but... if that's the case, then just script some more series, lol...

if anyone has a explanation I'd love to hear it because I just don't get it...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: