Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2019, 08:38:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bomber Defense  (Read 2548 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 07:25:11 AM »

Agreed on all points. The weird thing about giving up that late drive in the LDC was that our D was barely on the field in the second half. They should not have been tired at all. It's just weird for a fresh D to give it up so easily when they were needed so badly. I have to think the wrong scheme and/or formations were being called. I have no other explanation.

1. Willie said it in a post-game presser: SSK went to dink & dunk that was hard to stop and not really planned for.  If a team can master the dink & dunk (like WPG in '17), it's really hard to stop them churning out the 1st downs.

2. Hall played hard (not soft, go look again, it's mostly man, and blitzes), but it was designed to stop the mid/deep pass, not the 10 yard hitch and Powell hold-aided run.

3. Hall said it in his post-game presser: everyone waited for someone else to make the play.  Watch the drive, and it's true, no one had any real zeal or energy.  And yes, TOP was ours so no excuse at all.  Maybe they lacked leadership, or trust in Hall's calls.  Maybe they thought because they were the best D and owned the 4th that it would just magically fall into their laps.  Maybe everyone not named Willie just waited for Willie to get another INT or FF.

4. This will not happen again.  I already saw in the BB many changes on our D specifically designed to crush the SSK dink & dunk.  Worked beautifully then.  Will work in game 3 in a few weeks.  If McAdoo dares to take it to the deep pass then we'll kill them with our DBs and pass-rush.  Oh ya, and we'll be ahead enough they must go for a TD+2pt, not a FG.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »

1. Willie said it in a post-game presser: SSK went to dink & dunk that was hard to stop and not really planned for.  If a team can master the dink & dunk (like WPG in '17), it's really hard to stop them churning out the 1st downs.

2. Hall played hard (not soft, go look again, it's mostly man, and blitzes), but it was designed to stop the mid/deep pass, not the 10 yard hitch and Powell hold-aided run.

3. Hall said it in his post-game presser: everyone waited for someone else to make the play.  Watch the drive, and it's true, no one had any real zeal or energy.  And yes, TOP was ours so no excuse at all.  Maybe they lacked leadership, or trust in Hall's calls.  Maybe they thought because they were the best D and owned the 4th that it would just magically fall into their laps.  Maybe everyone not named Willie just waited for Willie to get another INT or FF.

4. This will not happen again.  I already saw in the BB many changes on our D specifically designed to crush the SSK dink & dunk.  Worked beautifully then.  Will work in game 3 in a few weeks.  If McAdoo dares to take it to the deep pass then we'll kill them with our DBs and pass-rush.  Oh ya, and we'll be ahead enough they must go for a TD+2pt, not a FG.

We've lost 2 games this season exactly the same way being unable to stop a long distance game winning drive.

It's happened in previous seasons with R. Hall's schemes.

Why is anyone surprised it happened the way it did? Make all the excuses you want about having given up the least amount of points.

Last year we gave up the 2nd least amount of points. It isn't a guarantee of getting to or winning the Grey Cup. In fact we finished 3rd.

Currently our offense has scored the most points and our defense has given up the least in the CFL.

Interesting that the offense gets criticized but the defense doesn't as often.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:58:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »

We've lost 2 games this season exactly the same way being unable to stop a long distance game winning drive.

Why is anyone surprised it happened the way it did? Make all the excuses you want about having given up the least amount of points.

Last year we gave up the 2nd least amount of points. It isn't a guarantee of getting to or winning the Grey Cup. In fact we finished 3rd.

Currently our offense has scored the most points and our defense has given up the least in the CFL.

Having less than a 7 pt. lead going into the last few minutes of a CFL game is always tempting fate, must avoid that scenario in all cases and have a bigger cushion, as anything can and often does happen in the last 2 minutes.
Jesse

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 03:55:42 PM »

And we are in first place.

At some point, this does just become first world problems, you know?

My wife is amazing!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »

Well apparently our D has give up the fewest amounts of points this season but somehow it still doesnt get all the respect it gets. Maybe a Grey Cup is the only way to get the respect for Hall and his defence

well to be honest not having one for dare I say 29 years doesn't help when it comes to earning respect.    We haven't won first in the West since 1972 either and the last time we won any conference was 201q where we made our last GC appearance and were dispatched with relative ease by the B.C. Lions!   Then factor in Ottawa winning a Cup in its infancy as a franchise and well....yeah!    Win the West....win the Cup a few times and respect is earned.    We are capable this season....but now we have to finish what we started or fall into the same vortex of losing!   We are the Cubs of Football albeit they finally broke the curse after 71 years.   I'll be dead if it takes that long!  😂

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
NewBlue

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »

The D has also won us games this year.  Like the French ref says "This is a wash"  Grin
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »

well to be honest not having one for dare I say 29 years doesn't help when it comes to earning respect.    We haven't won first in the West since 1972 either and the last time we won any conference was 201q where we made our last GC appearance and were dispatched with relative ease by the B.C. Lions!   Then factor in Ottawa winning a Cup in its infancy as a franchise and well....yeah!    Win the West....win the Cup a few times and respect is earned.    We are capable this season....but now we have to finish what we started or fall into the same vortex of losing!   We are the Cubs of Football albeit they finally broke the curse after 71 years.   I'll be dead if it takes that long!  😂

I agree with your statement and this is how I am calling it. Unless we at least make the Western Finals I will consider this year a failure and as for Richie Hall's defense I will call it a failure also. That is strictly my opinion and how I see it. There tends be a tendency to set the bar too low at times and as such sub par performance is accepted/ rewarded.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 07:07:06 PM »

The Cubs actually went 108 years between WS Championships! The Bombers haven't even existed that long.

As for our D: I'll take it. There was a lot that went into the Toronto loss and the LDC loss. In Toronto, one or two more first downs late in that game by our offence would have sealed it. In the LDC, getting the offence going earlier and not making some questionable decisions in Q4 with respect to the kicking game could have changed the outcome.

Team game. When the D is on the field at the end and the other team scores to win it doesn't mean that the D is lousy.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
J5V

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »

The Cubs actually went 108 years between WS Championships! The Bombers haven't even existed that long.

As for our D: I'll take it. There was a lot that went into the Toronto loss and the LDC loss. In Toronto, one or two more first downs late in that game by our offence would have sealed it. In the LDC, getting the offence going earlier and not making some questionable decisions in Q4 with respect to the kicking game could have changed the outcome.

Team game. When the D is on the field at the end and the other team scores to win it doesn't mean that the D is lousy.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but in Toronto, we actually had stopped the Argos but a very bizarre spot of the ball by the official gave the Argos a first down instead of a turnover on downs. In the LDC the Riders Oline held on every play of that final drive opening holes and giving Fajardo all the time he needed to make plays. Last time I checked holding was a penalty and it is to be called against BOTH teams. I'm not even getting into the late hits and head shots that our opponents seem to get away with. I get that we're a first place club but that isn't supposed to matter.

Go Bombers!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »

in the Toronto loss, we take the lead with 12:06 left in the game and give the ball back to Toronto... we hold them and they have to punt, where we give up the rouge making the score 27-21 Bombers... after that, the defense did stop the Argos TWICE but each time the offense came back up and went 2 and out... not a single first down... one or two of those is probably all it would have taken put that game away... so... it isn't all on the defense...

the Hamilton loss... how many turn overs did we have in that game again?  3?  4?  or was it 5?  no wait, I remember now, it was 6 turnovers in that game by the offense... 6... plus 8 punts... and was only able to get a safety and 2 field goals during the last 40 minutes of a 60 minute game... not so sure it's all on the defense here...

and our last loss... the LDC... that's a tough one for sure... but one that's hard to get too upset about... we trailed that entire game up until scoring a touchdown in the 4th quarter making the score 17-16 Bombers... yeah, the defense gave up the walk off field goal but... that game was on the road and one we lose way more than ever win and we were playing with a back up quarterback and without Harris... it just wasn't in the cards for us that day... hard to blame anyone for that game...

the bottom line is, you're not going to win every game in a year and the only one that really matters is the last game you play for the year... that's when everyone needs to be 'on'...

so far this year we've had game won by every phase and every way possible...  everyone needs to calm down... enjoy the ride...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 01:18:44 AM »

Well apparently our D has give up the fewest amounts of points this season but somehow it still doesnt get all the respect it gets. Maybe a Grey Cup is the only way to get the respect for Hall and his defence

There are many on here that will never support Hall regardless of how well we play.  They simply were so against him for so long that they are unwilling to waiver.  That's ok, he wasn't hired to be popular, but if our D keeps playing the way they are, we are a force and I'm very happy with this unit and coaching.

D is better than last year.  Players are deeper, executing better and our play calling has improved as well.  Defense wins championships and we have a very good one.  I am happy with our offense and D.  We are are in a good spot at the moment.  Just need Nichols back, Harris to get back in the grove and get a few key bodies back.  Nice time to be a Bomber fan.  The D has been criticized pretty often this year but not nearly as bad as last year.  It got pretty nasty on here after a few tough games but that's the usual knee jerk panic reaction that comes on here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:22:28 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue girl

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 01:48:51 AM »

The defence has played well this year and has kept this team in games. But they need to show that if we're in a close game with a couple of minutes left that they can shut down the other team.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 01:58:09 AM »

The defence has played well this year and has kept this team in games. But they need to show that if we're in a close game with a couple of minutes left that they can shut down the other team.
yes...I agree...we certainly have the personnel and we have to tweak the philosophy.    Being aggressive always is fraught with risks but playing it vanilla isn't a recipe for a defensive thrilla!!!

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »

There are many on here that will never support Hall regardless of how well we play.  They simply were so against him for so long that they are unwilling to waiver.  That's ok, he wasn't hired to be popular, but if our D keeps playing the way they are, we are a force and I'm very happy with this unit and coaching.
D is better than last year.  Players are deeper, executing better and our play calling has improved as well.  Defense wins championships and we have a very good one.  I am happy with our offense and D.  We are are in a good spot at the moment.  Just need Nichols back, Harris to get back in the grove and get a few key bodies back.  Nice time to be a Bomber fan.  The D has been criticized pretty often this year but not nearly as bad as last year.  It got pretty nasty on here after a few tough games but that's the usual knee jerk panic reaction that comes on here.

And there are those that still live with " blind faith " denying any problems. Everything is sunshine and roses. Satisfied even if we don't get to or win the Grey Cup.

We might well win the Grey Cup this season. Doesn't mean we don't have systemic issues related to coaches ( Hall in particular ).

Defense is better this season because of Jefferson and Rose in particular.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:54:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »

And there are those that still live with " blind faith " denying any problems. Everything is sunshine and roses. Satisfied even if we don't get to or win the Grey Cup.

We might well win the Grey Cup this season. Doesn't mean we don't have systemic issues related to coaches ( Hall in particular ).

Defense is better this season because of Jefferson and Rose in particular.

The blind faith view isn't realistic, but neither is the view that things are terrible.

One third of the season to go. In first place. Things still to work on. Good place to be.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: