Blue Bombers Forum
October 16, 2019, 12:38:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bomber Defense  (Read 2518 times)
J5V

« on: September 15, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »

I have a concern about our D. A few times this year our D has been unable to stop our opponent from executing a late game-winning drive. The most recent example was the LDC. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know why we seem unable to stop late drives?

Go Bombers!
J5V

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »

I suppose some credit has to go to the Riders for their late game-winning drive against us. I saw them do the same thing against Montreal.

Go Bombers!
Stretch

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:00:34 PM »

I think it was mentioned in another thread after that game, but our "Bend but don't break" defence is more or less designed to give up field goals instead of touchdowns, and that's what they did on the last drive of Labour Day.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Jesse

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 11:23:23 PM »

Our D has been the best in the league all year long and, in most cases, keeping us in games.

Do I want to see them on the field when we're in the lead and the opposing team is within a score at the end of the game? No. But that said, the offence has been the bigger issue in those close games.

My wife is amazing!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 11:46:55 PM »

I hear what you're saying yet at this moment we have scored more points than any other team and given up the fewest and are sitting atop the league!   I'm thinking when Jeffcoat returns our front 7 will be even stronger and more dominant.    The Stamps D allowed the Cats to march down the field and were saved by Roberson's lucky leap to block what would have been a game winning FG.   Then in the other tilt, the Riders were allowed to march down the field by the Als and kick another game winning FG with only a 26 seconds on the clock.  The Als needed a few major first downs to get back in FG range but after two incompletions and a sack the ole' game was over.   

That being said we likely could have had 2 more Ws if our D played more aggressively late in the game and go for broke....we all know what guys like BLM and Fjardo are capable of late in games so I'd rather go after them.   It's all about risk/reward....no risk no reward!

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 12:42:44 AM »

We have one of the top Ds in the league and when healthy we are dominate.  Great stars, good depth and a good coach.  None issue, handled internally lol.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
J5V

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 12:44:59 AM »

I certainly believe ours is the best D in the league personnel-wise. Surely there is a way to use these guys that will result in a D that can close down and lock up games at the end. In that LDC game it just seemed so damned easy for the Riders to march down field, all the way from their 5 yard line, to score the winning points. Where are we breaking down to allow these huge late-game collapses?

Go Bombers!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:46:35 AM »

I certainly believe ours is the best D in the league personnel-wise. Surely there is a way to use these guys that will result in a D that can close down and lock up games at the end. In that LDC game it just seemed so damned easy for the Riders to march down field, all the way from their 5 yard line, to score the winning points. Where are we breaking down to allow these huge late-game collapses?
Give the Riders credit.  That's one drive.  How about all the games we shut them down and played well.  None issue.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 01:07:23 AM »

We have one of the top Ds in the league and when healthy we are dominate.  Great stars, good depth and a good coach.  None issue, handled internally lol.
OK....sorry for being a grammar Nazi....however I have seen this word appear on this forum used in the wrong context on numerous occasions....the correct word is dominant or even remove the are  to "we dominate".    My grammar and spelling are by no means perfect however I'm ok if someone corrects me when I'm off.   No disrespect as your posts are welcome and positive!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:35:06 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Dali Lama
J5V

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 01:18:16 AM »

OK....sorry for being a grammar Nazi....however I have seen this word appear on this forum used in the wrong context....the correct word is dominant

Me too but ... the correct term is non-issue (or nonissue) not "None Issue".

Go Bombers!
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 01:27:18 AM »

I'm not worried about our defence. The only loss that I'm still angry about is the Toronto game where we had a big lead and the defence gave up all that yardage and points. In the LDC, yes they gave up the game winning drive but they also kept the team in the game in the first quarter when the offence was doing nothing. I also think that when we get Jeffcoat and Alexander back we're going to be even better.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:30:14 AM »

Me too but ... the correct term is non-issue (or nonissue) not "None Issue".
I'm really very happy for you.....nonplussed!

Dali Lama
J5V

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 01:37:27 AM »

I'm not worried about our defence. The only loss that I'm still angry about is the Toronto game where we had a big lead and the defence gave up all that yardage and points. In the LDC, yes they gave up the game winning drive but they also kept the team in the game in the first quarter when the offence was doing nothing. I also think that when we get Jeffcoat and Alexander back we're going to be even better.

Agreed on all points. The weird thing about giving up that late drive in the LDC was that our D was barely on the field in the second half. They should not have been tired at all. It's just weird for a fresh D to give it up so easily when they were needed so badly. I have to think the wrong scheme and/or formations were being called. I have no other explanation.

Go Bombers!
J5V

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 01:45:20 AM »

I'm really very happy for you.....nonplussed!

Grin

Go Bombers!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 05:20:08 AM »

Well apparently our D has give up the fewest amounts of points this season but somehow it still doesnt get all the respect it gets. Maybe a Grey Cup is the only way to get the respect for Hall and his defence
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: