Blue Bombers Forum
October 20, 2019, 09:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: use Streveller as fullback when Nichols returns  (Read 1382 times)
bomb squad

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »

As I understand it, technically the idea could be implemented, but only if Streveler is not designated as a QB or an ineligible receiver. You would not get any advantage with the run or pass threat out of that position however. Actually it diminishes it. He would have to throw on the run more, which limits his passing options. He's a much better run or pass threat out of the QB position.

As for the idea itself of using Streveler as a running back, I agree it's not a good use of his talents, but it's not like it's an idea from outer space. He is obviously a very good runner and we don't actually know what his blocking abilities are. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »

I think Willie Jefferson should be a receiver. He's big and tall and can jump real good.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »

Glad to see BinBC is going easy on the new poster!  Yes, can't be done.  But it's a good question anyhow.

However, after watching Augustine, I'd peg him in the "power rusher" category.  Certainly not at the power level of AH33, Powell or Gable.  But he's as much power as speed, IMHO.

So you could pretty easily play dual-back sets with both AH and JA, as they are both NATs (Canadian) and already rostered (JA as AH backup).  If you wanted to...

Heck, might be fun for poops and giggles.  But then wouldn't D's just load the box for run blitz?

Here's what I'd do:
1. Early in the game you do a dual-back set and pick one to fake and one to hand it to.  Go up the gut.
2. Few plays later show the same set, do a fake to both, and they both park as blockers in max-pro 7-man block. Then you have our QB with all day drop back to pass to one of 3 WRs running go routes in different 3rds of the field.  Or, perhaps even better, since they loaded the box, throw over the LBs in some sort of 25 yard crosser with the other WRs running layered clearing routes.
3. Put that set away and never use it again.

It'd be fun to see, just once, and achievable with 2 NATs.  Probably not worth the practice time.  But you never know, in garbage time in some game...

I hope Augustine earned some respect for his performance the last two games and O'Shea and LaPo do not shove him back on the shelf to sit unused, he has earned the right to play.  It's great to have Harris returning fully charged but it's time for a transition, enough of giving Harris the cake and letting him eat the entire thing, there's plenty of opportunities to give Johnny meaningful reps. and it will only strengthen the dynamic of the running game to do so.  The Bombers are fully committed to a running offence until Nichols return but it would be nice to see Streveler run half as often as he does now with more sharing of the reps. (80-20 split) between Harris and Augustine which will reduce the wear on all of them heading into the playoffs.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »

I think Willie Jefferson should be a receiver. He's big and tall and can jump real good.

He'd be a heckuva backup punter, too.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Jesse

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »

He'd be a heckuva backup punter, too.

Can you imagine him as a gunner on special teams?

Guaranteed forced fumble every time.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »

Both Jefferson and Strv17 have played receiver in college, so they would understand the position.
Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »

Both Jefferson and Strv17 have played receiver in college, so they would understand the position.

LOL. Even full time receivers in college don't always turn out to be good receivers in he CFL. Neither of them saw playing receiver as their best skill set or interest.

Clearly a pro player is going to understand the position, especially a QB.

Now if you want to send in Jefferson on a pass formation inside the red zone I wouldn't have a specific problem doing it once or twice a season.

His presence and height might confuse a defense not expecting him on offense. OTOH we'd be taking an actual receiver out of the offense inside the red zone.

How many times or usefulness could that option provide in a season?  It's a little like using an OL in a TE or eligible option formation.

Realistically there are only so many eligible players on the field. If you guess right all the early reads are covered and the pressure forces a bad throw or a sack. Every now and again the least likely receiver is the 1st option on the play call. IE: when we throw to Miller in as a FB a couple of times a season and he gets a 1st down.

The Argos used that successfully against us this season.

You wouldn't think a defense would ever get fooled by that but it happens a couple of times a season.

In the past teams have had very tall receivers that came in the red zone. More often than not it was more of a decoy than anything else.

If it wasn't every team would find a 7'1" basketball player to put on their rosters.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:35:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Maudie fingerjammer

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »

Yes! The more opportunity we have to get our backup QB injured the better!😳🤔🤒
lenny

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »

Uh no.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »

Understanding the position and playing it at a level above college are two different things.

This is not an idea worth exploring, IMO.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »

Chris Jones called and said move Strev to MLBer.

Chris Jones called back and is wondering how you got his 2019 "plan" he was going to implement in Saskatchewan.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:40:56 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »

THIS WHOLE TOPIC IS HILARIOUS !!    Cheesy

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
GCn19

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 06:16:18 PM »

THIS WHOLE TOPIC IS HILARIOUS !!    Cheesy

Can you tell it's a bye week. lol

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »

Can you tell it's a bye week. lol

No kidding   Cheesy?. I hate Bye weeks.

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
66 Chevelle

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:39 PM »

one of the more appropriate places to repeat my favorite saying and tagline...

just because you can, doesn't mean you should... lol...

but if you haven't watched the video about the English dude that flew over the big pond to catch the banjo bowl, you should... not because of the English dude but take a look at Streveler in the video... this guy is built like a brick ****house!  look at the guns on this dude... not built like any QB I've ever seen... more like a linebacker, lol... it's easy to see that he takes his conditioning very seriously and why he's able to run the way he does, thru and over others without getting hurt... definitely not 'frail'... lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: